Gransnet forums

News & politics

Andy Murray's tweet

(37 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Fri 19-Sep-14 13:53:37

how stupid is this?!

How can his view on the referendum make any difference to how well his mother can learn to dance? confused

HollyDaze Fri 19-Sep-14 14:37:06

I've just been reading about his Twitter comment (why do so many people use Twitter when so many end up in hot water for things they say on there?) and, although I'm not a fan of his, he has a right to his opinion.

His views should not affect how his mother receives votes on Strictly - to vote her off for something her son said is, imo, pathetic. She should be judged on her ability to learn to dance and nothing else.

I don't think the English have ever forgiven Andy for stating that whichever team is playing England, he wears the shirt of the other team and now he's gone and annoyed the Scots! Maybe he needs to think a bit more before speaking ...

Mishap Fri 19-Sep-14 14:49:32

Oh pur-lease! What nonsense! Must be a lean time news-wise??!!

rosequartz Fri 19-Sep-14 14:50:07

How petty is that!

He did say that which created the backlash of 'anyone but Murray', but he was very young when he said it. I think since then he seems less dour and that his speeches have been gracious both in victory and defeat.

She should be judged on her ability to dance, but it doesn't always seem to work like that on Strictly (not watched it this time). She looks good in the photo (definitely no bingo wings yet!)

Nelliemoser Fri 19-Sep-14 15:30:03

The Mail Online clearly feel they have to make up news where the is none.

What a complete load of B******s! (In my humble opinion.)

Ana Fri 19-Sep-14 16:06:41

In what way has he annoyed the Scots, HollyDaze?

merlotgran Fri 19-Sep-14 16:07:50

I really can't warm to Andy Murray and thought it was ungracious of him to say that he thought Judy would be terrible in Strictly.

I think his recent comments are more likely to have the opposite effect and people will vote for her because they know her appearance is making him squirm.

Go for it, Judy!!

sparkygran Fri 19-Sep-14 16:30:03

Go Judy Go

whitewave Fri 19-Sep-14 17:28:42

My mother would vote for her for sure, she is a huge tennis fan and doesn't like AM she argues that he is too temperamental to be a consistent winner, so not sure he can talk!!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 19-Sep-14 18:12:04

I don't think I like him. Shame. He's a nice looking young feller.

rosequartz Fri 19-Sep-14 20:59:25

I didn't know he had said that about his mother! Shame on him.
I am sure if I was on Strictly (two left feet, overweight, unable to co-ordinate hands and feet - but I do have a sense of rhythm) that DS would tell me I would be wonderful!! (then not watch it or pretend I wasn't his Mum!).

Go Judy!
(got to vote for Su though, if I get round to watching it)

Charleygirl Fri 19-Sep-14 21:24:40

Sorry rosequartz Su who?

I agree, it was not a nice thing to say about his mother and some people, because they do not like Andy, may take it out on his mother- folk are strange.

Judy and Anton make a handsome couple.

durhamjen Fri 19-Sep-14 22:09:24

So should no other Scot who lives in England have been allowed to say what they thought about the referendum?
In that case a lot of people on this forum are in the wrong, too.

I also do not see why he shouldn't make jokes about his mother's dancing. He'll have seen it all his life. I know what my sons say about mine, and my singing!

janeainsworth Sat 20-Sep-14 00:12:28

It doesn't sound like a joke, though jen.
It just sounds a bit spiteful. I would have been mortified if anyone, least of all my DS, had said that to me.
But of course we don't know what sort of things she has said to him in the past. Perhaps he was getting his own back for all the pressure she must have put on him in his younger days.

durhamjen Sat 20-Sep-14 00:22:07

According to the DM article, she agreed with him, jane.

My son's partner once said, "I did not know you could dance," to me.
My son said, "She can't!"
Just the sort of thing a son would say to his mother. I hope the police prosecute those who wrote malicious tweets.

Anniebach Sat 20-Sep-14 09:32:03

How can such a fun comment by a son to a mother and repeated by the mother be seen as 'getting his own back' I must have the two most spiteful daughters in the world thinking of their comments every year when I sing happy birthday to them , for me it's what goes on in families, teasing I think it's called

Elegran Sat 20-Sep-14 09:47:32

Families which get on together perfectly well and would not do anything to hurt one another can tease each other about things like this without it meaning that they are being nasty! Those who instantly assumed that Andy was being spiteful must have families who are resentful of one another and enjoy putting the boot in.

Facebook and Twitter, of course, are packed to the gunwales with people who love to give the worst possible slant on something and start up a hate campaign.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 20-Sep-14 09:55:49

On the contrary Elegran!

I thought, at first, that his remark to his mum ("you'll be terrible") was mean, but now I see it as something an adolescent boy might feel about his mother doing something like Strictly.

He just needs to grow up.

rosequartz Sat 20-Sep-14 09:56:59

Everything about this shouts storm in a teacup, but unfortunately some people love intensifying storms.

I retract my 'shame on him' comment (didn't read the article properly, yawn). Obviously a jokey comment between mum and son!

charleygirl Su is Sunetra Sarker, actress, lives in Bristol

merlotgran Sat 20-Sep-14 10:32:40

Just for the record, Elegran, seeing as you don't know my family, they are not resentful to one another and do not enjoy putting the boot in.

I'm allowed to have an opinion on Andy Murray's comments because he's more than happy to have his quotes put in the public domain.

Elegran Sat 20-Sep-14 10:36:59

I was referring to the general abuse that Andy has received on the net, Merlotgran, not your family, as you say, I don't know them.

No-one knows what Andy's relationship is with his mother, either, so they should not assume that he is publicly getting at her and try to turn it into an international incident..

rosequartz Sat 20-Sep-14 10:39:09

When I said some people I meant the spiteful twitterers, not any of us who are always kind and lovely.
And my DD who laughed when I said I was going to join a choir!

rosequartz Sat 20-Sep-14 10:41:01

I meant that my DD is always kind and lovely. This gets worse. Must preview my posts.

Agus Sat 20-Sep-14 10:42:40

Typical meedya stirring. Let's print what will inflame the public..

I don't know anything about the relationship between Andy Murray and his mother. And neither does the media.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 20-Sep-14 10:47:31

He should be pleased his Mum is doing it. It will be excellent for her fitness. So long as she doesn't hurt herself.