Gransnet forums

News & politics

After those ridiculous posters

(143 Posts)
thatbags Wed 24-Sep-14 15:32:31

telling women which side of the street to walk on, a young film-maker sticks up alternative posters

which male orthodox Jews take down.

ffinnochio Wed 24-Sep-14 15:46:39

Pissed me right off, too.

Raised a smile though when one insufferably righteous man missed one!

whenim64 Wed 24-Sep-14 15:55:52

Young men removing the posters, too! What sort of messages about women are they receiving at school and college?

Anya Wed 24-Sep-14 16:10:51

This just can't be for real, can it? Someone please tell me it's a set up shock

nightowl Wed 24-Sep-14 16:20:00

One young woman removed one as well but he wasn't in time to get a photo. Well and truly indoctrinated sad

TriciaF Wed 24-Sep-14 17:05:08

Oh dear!
I think there's probably some information missing here. I looked on Google and the hebrew posters were probably put up before a special event, maybe a new Torah scroll, or a funeral, or a wedding, when there are hundreds, even thousands, of Jews milling around. Roads are closed to traffic (with police permission) and for safety for women and girls they should keep out of the way. There was a huge funeral recently for a highly respected Jewish lady.
So someone forgot to take them down. Normally there's no need for people to walk on different sides of the road.
We lived in a very orthodox area for some time, these events are very lively.
But not to deny that the roles of men and women are clearly defined.

Nelliemoser Wed 24-Sep-14 17:46:10

But why should they treat women like this 2014.
As one of the newspaper comments said, why not tell the men to walk on a particular side of the road and not ask the woman to.

It's a subtle point, but if you think about it makes a huge difference. In the original notices the women are being "ordered about" by declarations from the men Not the men deciding they will do this for whatever reason.

NfkDumpling Wed 24-Sep-14 17:52:14

Nope. Don't get it. It's a set up, yes? confused

A procession which is so rowdy women and girls are in physical danger is called a riot and would be banned. This really does happen? Really?

HollyDaze Wed 24-Sep-14 18:08:22

Young men removing the posters, too! What sort of messages about women are they receiving at school and college?

That bothered me too, he looked like a young lad.

Nelliemoser Wed 24-Sep-14 18:21:28

This is possibly the very Orthodox Hassidic Jewish community that would put up these sort of notices.

Like Christian sects there is a wide range of styles and extremes of belief and religious practice in Judaism in the UK.

whenim64 Wed 24-Sep-14 18:30:41

There's an almost identical community in North Manchester, but I've never seen anything like this happening in the street.

Ana Wed 24-Sep-14 18:38:35

This article in the Huffingdon Post explains the reasoning behind the posters.

www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/22/london-haredi-signs_n_5862320.html

GillT57 Wed 24-Sep-14 18:56:07

I don't care whether it was allegedly some sort of safety notice because of a religious festival. This was put up on a London Street on which all residents and visitors, irrespective of race, religion, gender, colour or ethnicity are allowed to walk as they wish. The religious leaders have no right at all to do this. yet another example of male dominated religion. Can you imagine if the sign had said 'Black people only on this side of the road' or 'heterosexuals only on this side of the road' . When you transfer the bigotry to another group it suddenly isnt so funny or quirky is it?

Ana Wed 24-Sep-14 19:16:11

It wasn't a safety notice. It was to do with their religious beliefs.

Iam64 Wed 24-Sep-14 19:24:59

Not on, I respect people's faith, but dislike intensely the fundamentalist mob in any faith.

GillT57 Wed 24-Sep-14 19:26:53

Even worse then ana. How dare a group of people impose their religious bigotry beliefs on residents of a public street. Can you imagine the DM and UKIP if it had been an Islamic festival which requested women to stick to one side of the street?

Ana Wed 24-Sep-14 19:32:19

I'm not supporting/defending anyone here! There seemed to be a lot of confusion about why the original posters were put up, that's all.

I'd have thought they were for the benefit of those taking part in the celebration or whatever it was, not other residents of the area.

Stansgran Wed 24-Sep-14 19:37:35

Quite enlightening to read The Marrying of Chani Kaufman by Eve Harris.

thatbags Wed 24-Sep-14 19:45:19

Yes, ana, except that it is not to the 'benefit' of women to be told which side of the road to walk on. Women are capable of making their own decisions about where they are going to walk. That is the point.

thatbags Wed 24-Sep-14 19:48:34

On reflection, I see what you mean by "for the benefit of". Well, I saw what you meant anyway because I knew the notices were aimed at Jewish women and not others, but the notices should not be put up in the UK at all or, if they are put up, women, including Jewish women, should be (_are_) free to ignore them. Trouble is "their men" would probably abuse them for it if they did.

Ana Wed 24-Sep-14 19:52:48

I know what the point is. Mine is that the women who belong to that paricular sect presumably accept the segregation rule.

Ana Wed 24-Sep-14 19:53:54

Crossed posts - yes, that's what I meant.

thatbags Wed 24-Sep-14 20:00:09

I think they may only be "accepting" it because they have no choice.

thatbags Wed 24-Sep-14 20:02:36

Or rather, they should have a choice but it has been taken from them. The rest of us can register our objection to such infringements of liberty, as the maker of the wee film at the start of the thread does.

rosequartz Wed 24-Sep-14 20:19:33

Huffington Post reports: Parade organizers have promised to clean up the posters more quickly next year Metro reports,

Surely they should not be allowed to put them up at all.