Gransnet forums

News & politics

Imminent massive landslide in Norway

(8 Posts)
thatbags Mon 27-Oct-14 21:40:06

or "collapse of mountain" if you prefer your news to be dramatic.

thatbags Mon 27-Oct-14 21:44:28

The report in English is here

FlicketyB Mon 27-Oct-14 22:13:05

Glad to see that they have been able to evacuate people so, when it does go, it is unlikely to cause death and injury.

Also glad to see that it is nowhere near the coast as we are travelling the length of the Norwegian coast from Bergen in a Hurtigroten cruise/ferry in February

thatbags Tue 28-Oct-14 16:14:38

Meanwhile there have been quite a few in Scotland—landslides that is, including, as usual, at Rest and Be Thankful on the A83.

granjura Tue 28-Oct-14 16:36:21

Sadly happening more and more in high mountains all over the world- as climate change is melting the permafrost that holds them together. When we were looking for a house to buy in the Alps, our friend high up in household insurance here advised us against it. Tragic.

durhamjen Tue 28-Oct-14 17:19:35

Yes, granjura. Read the other day that the notebook belonging to the photographer on Scott's last expedition has been recovered because of the Antarctic ice melting.

www.nzaht.org/aht/Levicks-notebook/

Soutra Wed 29-Oct-14 00:04:07

Has Mrs McLeod been out on the Rest and be Thankful with her spade yet? Terry Wogan always used to pay credit to her at the first snowfall in the Highlands!

thatbags Wed 29-Oct-14 06:45:04

It was rain that caused the R&BT slips. It always is in that area. West of Scotland gets a lot of heavy rain and always has had. The old military road, as it is called (I think Redcoats may have made it; they certainly made a bridge further down the valley), was opened and a convoy traffic system set up. The old road is lower down the slope (steep valley side) so even if affected it might not have benn as bad as the high road.

You take the hogh road and I'll take the low road, etc... smile

Long ago this area was under ice too so I suppose you can blame climate change for this too if you want to only that loss of ice was nothing to do with anything human beings did, it was just down to ...er... the fact that climate changes.