Gransnet forums

News & politics

A really useful invention

(11 Posts)
Eloethan Mon 03-Nov-14 23:35:25

www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Science/article1478605.ece

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/british-businessman-launches-1-glasses-to-help-millions-of-worlds-poorest-people-9835152.html

It really cheered me up to see this report in The Sunday Times yesterday. Somebody has actually invented something that will hopefully change millions of people's lives in Africa and Asia - glasses that cost only £1 a pair that can be adjusted to correct a person's eyesight. The first (ST) link is an incomplete article, but I thought the photo of the lady in her glasses was so lovely. The second link is a fuller report from the I.

alternativegran Tue 04-Nov-14 09:05:55

That's really heart warming news Eloethan.

By chance I found two old pairs of glasses yesterday and wondered what to do with them, my medical practice used to have a collecting box but no longer. It doesn't feel right to throw them away if they could still have a use.

pompa Tue 04-Nov-14 09:12:55

Boots opticians still collect old specs.

vampirequeen Tue 04-Nov-14 09:52:08

It's a brilliant invention and will make such a difference to so many.

Did anyone see the exoskeleton on the Gadget Show that will enable people to walk? I know it's not the same as walking unaided but it must be wonderful to be freed from the wheelchair and be upright again. It's quite bulky atm but they're already planning to make it neater.

Elegran Tue 04-Nov-14 09:56:32

Most opticians will take old specs.

Charleygirl Tue 04-Nov-14 13:22:40

alternativegran I have the same problem and I do not want to throw them out. Thanks pompa I will ask my local branch, I hope that it is not just large branches who collect them.

alternativegran Thu 06-Nov-14 18:00:20

Thank you Pompa and Elegran, I get my glasses from Boots so I will ask, what a pity they don't advertise this service.

pompa Fri 07-Nov-14 08:01:47

Our Boots optician is only a small one, they had (last time I was there) a big bin by the tills for old glasses.

annodomini Fri 07-Nov-14 09:18:30

In various drawers I have so far identified five pairs of redundant glasses, so am grateful for the information about Boots.

baubles Fri 07-Nov-14 10:02:39

Specsavers also take old specs, they are donated to www.visionaidoverseas.org/

baubles Fri 07-Nov-14 10:13:07

Just read the links, great work.