Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ashamed to be human

(190 Posts)
nightowl Fri 28-Nov-14 19:56:28

Sometimes I despair of our species.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2852739/Nepal-devotees-sacrifice-thousands-animals-Hindu-ritual.html

nightowl Fri 28-Nov-14 19:57:13

I should have posted a warning that this is a very unpleasant topic.

Mishap Fri 28-Nov-14 20:01:27

Well - there we are. What can I say? - I am sure the gods will be thrilled to bits.

Marelli Fri 28-Nov-14 20:12:39

I know if I read this, it will prey on my mind, nightowl. sad.

nightowl Fri 28-Nov-14 20:23:19

Sorry Marelli (and others) I pressed post and then realised how upsetting it is. It just leaves me speechless.

Why do humans feel a need to sacrifice countless animals to appease their gods? I'm sure the animals will be left to rot as there can be no way such numbers can be used for food. There is a petition online to try to get this stopped but I've forgotten where it is.

Apologies again for any distress this has caused to anyone. No need to click on the link, the title explains what it is about.

Ana Fri 28-Nov-14 20:27:46

Exactly - which is why I didn't.

It sounds trite, but it's a different culture and of course we can't understand it. The people who do those things are humans too.

Faye Fri 28-Nov-14 20:29:54

I won't read it as it will be just another thing that stays imprinted on my brain. I also despair nightowl for humanity. I think half the population of this world are still in the Stone Age.

GillT57 Fri 28-Nov-14 20:44:37

I fail to understand why cultural traditions should be used as a reason for us to try to understand this barbarity ( cant bear to follow link). We have moved on from this appeasing gods nonsense surely, and I dont care who I offend by saying so.

Ana Fri 28-Nov-14 21:04:52

I wasn't saying we should try to understand it, GillT57, just that we don't and can't. Neither was I condining it. I don't think anyone will have been offended by your post!

Ana Fri 28-Nov-14 21:05:16

condoning

petallus Fri 28-Nov-14 21:11:05

Not that different to the abbatoir scenario is it?

petallus Fri 28-Nov-14 21:12:39

Abattoir

nightowl Fri 28-Nov-14 21:29:14

Where does that leave us petallus? Is wanton cruelty thereby acceptable in either situation? I'm confused.

Tegan Fri 28-Nov-14 21:41:13

I would assume that a lot of the people that took part in this were people that have no access to doctors or hospitals if they get ill, and if their crops fail they starve. If they feel that doing this will help them then they will continue to do so. We don't understand because we don't live in the conditions that they do sad. Maybe it's mans inhumanity to man that's the problem, especially when so many people in the west are overweight and throw food away on a daily basis.

NfkDumpling Fri 28-Nov-14 21:43:49

Compassion in World Farming have a petition -
www.ciwf.org/Gadhimai

Penstemmon Fri 28-Nov-14 21:43:56

What happens to the meat? Presumably not consumed? Seems like a great waste of resources to me. It is a barbaric ceremony but i am not 'ashamed to be human' confused

soontobe Fri 28-Nov-14 21:53:32

They may be doing it through fear of not doing it.

I dont feel comfortable telling them what they should and should not do in their own country.

thatbags Fri 28-Nov-14 22:03:49

Blood sacrifices to gods have featured throughout human history, here as well as elsewhere. Such practices die out when education improves for whole populations.

petallus Fri 28-Nov-14 22:07:18

Neither situation is acceptable to me nightowl

thatbags Fri 28-Nov-14 22:09:10

I don't suppose those doing the sacrificing think it is wanton cruelty. To them it is purposeful.

absent Fri 28-Nov-14 22:15:44

soontobe Does your distaste apply to other cultural practices, such as FGM, honour killings, forced marriages, rape as punishment for independent women, displacement of indigenous peoples, genocide, or is it applicable only to the senseless killing of animals?

Ana Fri 28-Nov-14 22:16:33

Exactly. And they won't be bothered about what we consider acceptable or not.

Ana Fri 28-Nov-14 22:17:44

(My response was to bags' post, not absent's!)

soontobe Fri 28-Nov-14 22:20:33

I dont think that we should barge in telling them what to do.
If they do it in this country, then yes, it becomes our business.

soontobe Fri 28-Nov-14 22:21:13

Who are we to tell them what to do.
Seems like racism to me.