Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Bristol mother and baby

(101 Posts)
GrannyTwice Wed 03-Dec-14 23:29:18

Just heard that the police have found a woman's body. How sad.

Soutra Thu 04-Dec-14 00:05:59

Tragic

MiniMouse Thu 04-Dec-14 00:27:16

Desperately sad - and no mention of the baby sad

Scooter58 Thu 04-Dec-14 04:03:19

Tragedy,reports mentioning mental health issues,RIP.

Grannyknot Thu 04-Dec-14 08:58:22

This incident is very upsetting. I have a 4 month old grandson and remember acutely how tiny and helpless he was at 4 days old. Desperately sad.

PRINTMISS Thu 04-Dec-14 09:07:37

I think a baby has been found. How sad that a young mother chose not to live her life with her child, if that is what has happened

Teetime Thu 04-Dec-14 09:44:01

This is terribly sad and very serious for the staff of the unit they walked out from in terms of risk assessment.

henetha Thu 04-Dec-14 10:03:35

This is so terribly sad. I feel deeply sorry for all concerned.
I hope the baby is still alive.. .. but the poor mother, how desperate she must have been.

whitewave Thu 04-Dec-14 10:06:25

That poor soul, how bad and confused she must have been feeling. So wish we could wrap our arms around these people.

Eloethan Thu 04-Dec-14 10:13:44

Terrible news, can now only hope for the baby.

GillT57 Thu 04-Dec-14 10:36:57

So so sad, the poor Father and her parents, they must be heartbroken. This is one of those terrible events that will stay in my mind. Just after I had my first child, the daughter of one of my Mother's work colleagues committed suicide just after giving birth, I often think of this woman, that I never knew, when I look at my lovely strapping son. What a terrible place these poor ill mothers must have been in.

Mishap Thu 04-Dec-14 11:08:42

Oh that is so very sad - the poor woman must have been at the end of her tether. It goes to demonstrate how serious depression can be and how unacceptable that mental health services are so underfunded. And where is this poor baby?

My own DD suffered a lengthy severe ante-natal depression and it was a frightening experience for us all. We all "lost" her, as he personality changed completely - and we feared we would literally lose her at times. It is a serious business not to be taken lightly by the professionals.

KatyK Thu 04-Dec-14 11:14:16

I think a few of us on here have suffered with depression/anxiety or had family members who have struggled but to be honest I can't imagine what a desperate state this poor lady was in to do such a thing.

Nelliemoser Thu 04-Dec-14 11:35:31

We obviously don't have all the details about how potentially vulnerable this particular mother was to doing such a thing.

It is incredibly sad for all concerned. I am sure the nursing staff must feel dreadful about this as well.

tanith Thu 04-Dec-14 11:39:59

Poor woman how dreadful such sad news.

loopylou Thu 04-Dec-14 12:01:26

Heartbreaking news, poor, poor girl. Utterly awful for everyone.

glammanana Thu 04-Dec-14 12:07:36

What such sad news this poor woman must have felt so desperate I thought all babies had tags which triggered alarms whilst they where still under the care of the hospital or am I wrong in thinking that,still such a sad thing to have happened I feel for the family.

rubysong Thu 04-Dec-14 12:21:54

How very sad! Both our DGC were born at St Michael's, Bristol and the staff were excellent. I do hope the poor baby is soon found.

loopylou Thu 04-Dec-14 14:27:05

Sadly suspect poor little baby won't be found in time, so very, very sad.

Lapwing Thu 04-Dec-14 15:46:36

It has just been announced that the body of a baby girl has now been found. So, so sad. It must have also been awful for the rescue services.

sunseeker Thu 04-Dec-14 15:46:39

Just heard police have found the body of a baby girl close to the spot where they found the body of the young mother. So very sad

GrannyTwice Thu 04-Dec-14 16:14:32

Just this week I had news of the birth of two much waited for babies, born into much love and joy and I found it so ineffably sad to think of this mother, her little daughter, her partner and family and what suffering there is/was for them all in what should be one if the best of times.

Mishap Thu 04-Dec-14 17:13:01

Oh no - not the baby too - that is so very very sad.

soop Thu 04-Dec-14 17:17:53

My heart feels heavy with sadness for everyone concerned. Tragic doesn't really sum up the situation.

Rowantree Thu 04-Dec-14 17:53:00

I gather that the mother suffered from schizophrenia and depression. I feel very angry that the hospital weren't keeping a VERY close eye on her at this time. They said they were going to discharge her on Thursday anyway - far too soon for someone suffering from mental health problems. This is tragic and the hospital have failed the whole family. My own daughter suffers from depression and other mental health probs and was told she'd have special care after the birth.It never materialised though she had a traumatic birth ending in a c-section. She was discharged 24 hours after a c-section - with NO ONE checking she was feeding the baby properly or coping emotionally. Thankfully her partner is very supportive but it could have had a very bad outcome. Hospitals cannot afford to allow vulnerable patients like this poor Bristol lady to slip through the care net. They need to keep some mothers in hospital for several days - a week or even more - as they used to do, in these situations, to minimise any risk to mother or baby and provide support. That poor, poor devastated family! :'(