Gransnet forums

News & politics

Too many prescriptions?

(86 Posts)
Lilygran Wed 10-Dec-14 18:28:42

Over 50% of women and over 40% of men are taking prescription drugs - headline news. I'm not sure why. A lot of them are for statins. Does anyone remember the government drive to get everyone on statins? What is this about? A lot of us are on painkillers. Yes, we have arthritis and other painful conditions. Is this preparation for charging everyone for prescriptions? Sort out the PFI first!

NfkDumpling Wed 10-Dec-14 18:40:40

I suspect you may be right Lily. The majority on prescriptions must be for over 65s who don't pay.

(my old doctor never gave prescriptions unless I was really, really ill - if he prescribed .....!!)

vampirequeen Wed 10-Dec-14 19:25:39

I'm sure you're right. They don't like anyone getting anything for free even though it's not free because you have paid for it throughout your working life.

vampirequeen Wed 10-Dec-14 19:26:29

And even if you have only a small private pension it can put you into paying tax so you're still paying for it.

loopylou Wed 10-Dec-14 19:30:26

I wonder just how they got these figures? Are they actually taking them or prescribed them?
I also wonder how many prescription drugs accumulate in patients' cupboards because of the way repeat prescriptions are done? I know some patients automatically tick every box, regardless of whether take the tablets or not, 'just in case'. Once the tablets etc are given to the patient they cannot be returned to the pharmacy and put back on the shelf if not needed.
When working in a local hospital, we would fill a small skip every week with unused/unwanted drugs brought in to the wards by patients and relatives- hideous waste of money sad
No wonder pharmaceutical costs are so high for CCGs and hospitals.

granjura Wed 10-Dec-14 19:37:20

OH used to say the same- cupboards full of drugs never used. So yes, that kind of waste really does have to be addressed, via education and persuasion- but urgently.

vampirequeen Wed 10-Dec-14 19:44:02

I'm not sure about other surgeries but mine calls patients on repeat prescriptions into see a doctor every few months to check they still need everything on the list.

loopylou Wed 10-Dec-14 19:44:29

Record was 156 boxes of Distalgesic (opiate painkiller), roughly costing £56 a box, which patient didn't take 'because it doesn't work'! £8736 worth of drugs dumped angry

granjura Wed 10-Dec-14 20:11:52

Any good doctor/surgery should re-call patients on repeat prescriptions on a regular basis- 3 or 6 monthly depending on drug_/condition- but at least 1x per year and discuss the taking of the medicines with the patient.

Cannot fathom, for the life of me, why patients woulc collect drugs just to stick them in the wardrobe or cupboard??? WHY?

One possible reason is that in the UK, the huge majority of patients have absolutely NO IDEA of the cost of drugs. In most countries people have to pay then reclaim from insurance- so they are much more aware of the costs (which does have its disadvantages of course- if people cannot afford to pay up front and wait for repayment).

granjura Wed 10-Dec-14 20:14:13

A doctor that would prescribe such strong opiates painkillers without very closely following up - really needs striking off! But why oh why would patient collect and not take after a couple of boxes perhaps ????? Madness.

GrannyTwice Wed 10-Dec-14 20:22:10

I'm astonished at the way this story has been reported. As has been said upthread, there are a lot of issues about prescribing but this report is not about that but about numbers on prescription drugs without any evaluation of the reasons. My DH would be dead without his prescription drugs and, as others have said, they would be in pain, unable to function properly.

GrannyTwice Wed 10-Dec-14 20:37:52

And vampire - even if you don't pay income tax, everyone pays VAT and a whole range of other taxes/ duties etc so we all contribute to the Exchequer.

Charleygirl Wed 10-Dec-14 20:48:52

I have been on prescription drugs since my late teens and would be dead if I did not take them. I am seen by my GP 6 monthly re the drugs that I am on. I have never paid for drugs but that may change soon if the Government can see a way of extracting money out of us.

KatyK Wed 10-Dec-14 20:59:21

My DH is on tablets for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes and now he has hormone treatment for prostate cancer. He needs all of these obviously. He actually looks a picture of health, slim and fit looking. confused

granjura Wed 10-Dec-14 21:02:03

Exactly- because so many NEED for drugs (including myself recently,, and OH since he was in his 20s)- the very reason why waste should be carefully looked at and eradicated to a very large extent. Waste of very expensive drugs in non-sensical, and in no-one's interest.

papaoscar Wed 10-Dec-14 21:06:59

I heard the somewhat sensationalist news today about the increase in national drug prescriptions and couldn't work out what was the point of it all. Was it intended to make us feel guilty, criticise us for unhealthy habits, moan about increaing costs again, I really don't know. Only the other day the praises of statins and aspirin were being trumpeted. Is this early warning of the impostion of pay-for-your-own medicine, I wonder? I note that most of the pumped-up media presenters and so-called experts were young, thin and no-doubt very well-paid. Still, something else will have been drummed up tomorrow to fill up the news slots, so not to worry too much. In the meantime just pass me the financial pages, please, I want to check on how well my shares in the drug companies are doing.

aggie Wed 10-Dec-14 21:07:05

just after I collected my tablets the Doctor rang and told me to stop , can't give them back to be reused , they have to be "disposed of !"

vampirequeen Wed 10-Dec-14 21:18:59

Granny Twice....I didn't mean it to sound negative about people who don't pay tax. Sorry. I should have been clearer.

I totally rely on my HC2 to pay for my meds and I'd not be alive without them.

annsixty Wed 10-Dec-14 21:26:28

If only all GPs followed the guidelines to see patients on a regular basis especially the over 75s,as I think they are supposed to I would feel much happier.

granjura Wed 10-Dec-14 21:37:28

Indeed Annsixty.

Aggie- out of interest, if you don't mind- what were they and what was/were the reason/s???

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 10-Dec-14 21:38:18

I so agree with the OP. The powers that be have been going all out to get, seemingly, as many people as possible onto statins, and now they come out with this!

In any case, isn't it just the results of progress in medical science? Are we supposed to ignore the benefits of modern scientific remedies and live in the dark ages, healthwise?

Complete non-story. hmm

GrannyTwice Wed 10-Dec-14 21:56:13

Vampire - cross purposes I think-sorry. I was trying to make the point that everyone is a tax payer and no one should feel that you are only contributing if you pay income tax or feel guilty at not so doing

rosesarered Wed 10-Dec-14 22:04:53

I heard this too and thought it was a non story, a story for an otherwise 'empty' day of news. There was no point to it at all.

janeainsworth Wed 10-Dec-14 23:21:00

I don't like the way this has been reported either.
It seems like another bash at 'older people living longer' and exhorting people to 'make lifestyle changes' rather than take drugs.

Well I'm really sorry that my thyroid gland packed up a few years ago and I now cost the NHS probably £250 a year for my thyroxine, annual blood test and annual consultation with my GP.

If anyone can tell me of any lifestyle changes that can galvanise a clapped-out old thyroid gland into action, I'd be fascinated to hear about it.

Still at least I'll know what to say if my GP suggests I start taking statins grin

rosequartz Wed 10-Dec-14 23:51:50

Cannot fathom, for the life of me, why patients woulc collect drugs just to stick them in the wardrobe or cupboard??? WHY?
Because they are free for many people. If they had to pay for them they wouldn't waste them and keep collecting a repeat prescription of something they don't use.

I must say I was prescribed an increased dose of the drug that I take (which is the recommended dose) but it was too strong for me; I took the unopened packet back to the chemist but they said that they would have to be destroyed, they could not re-use them.

The drug companies have been pushing statins worldwide according to a consultant I know.