Gransnet forums

News & politics

London Airspace closed

(10 Posts)
tanith Fri 12-Dec-14 15:52:51

Just watching the news about all the airspace being closed they are saying its a computer glitch, its already having a massive knock on effect with no flights taking off . I hope this isn't something more sinister as I remember so well the last time they closed our Air Space..

Charleygirl Fri 12-Dec-14 15:58:57

Iam enjoying the peace and quiet.

tanith Fri 12-Dec-14 16:28:20

grin Charleygirl... I can still see planes landing but none taking off that I can see...

anniezzz09 Fri 12-Dec-14 16:32:42

I thought the same thing tanith and also that it might be a cyber attack.

Ana Fri 12-Dec-14 16:41:26

The system's apparently been restored, but obviously it's going to take a long time to catch up with the backlog!

tanith Fri 12-Dec-14 16:41:51

Hopefully it is simply a computer problem and will soon be fixed.

Elegran Fri 12-Dec-14 16:47:39

Apparently the computer system has hit problems before.

"The software was based on a package being developed by the US air traffic control network as part of a huge upgrade.

But the American project collapsed, leaving Nats and its software developers to pick up the pieces and raising the cost of the centre by nearly £150m on top of the original £475m."

whenim64 Fri 12-Dec-14 17:48:21

Apparently, it's fixed now, but the backed up flights will take a long time to catch up. My nephew was sitting in Charles de Gaulle airport when he was informed, so he hot-footed over to Gare du Nord to get the Eurostar, saw the crowds queuing up and got back in a taxi to the airport. Not a happy bunny! It'll be early hours before he gets back to Manchester.

tanith Fri 12-Dec-14 18:09:41

They did say that it would be the short haul that would be worst affected as a lot of planes due to land here when to Brussels and Paris.. he may have a wait till tomorrow if the staff run out of hours.

Anya Fri 12-Dec-14 22:14:58

I bet it's Kim Jung-un hacking into the computers again tchhmm