Gransnet forums

News & politics

Breaking News - Allegedly 10 people killed at office of satirical magazine in Paris

(922 Posts)
TerriBull Wed 07-Jan-15 11:50:23

Whilst we don't have all the facts, I have read that at least ten people have been killed at the offices of a satirical French magazine in Paris where gunmen have opened fire.

Given the troubled times we are living in should publications try to rein in the content of anything that might be deemed controversial to certain groups because scenarios like this one will make it hardly worth the loss of life/ves, or should free speech prevail at all costs?

Katek Wed 07-Jan-15 11:57:08

Just checked Beeb online and they're now saying 11 dead. Apparently the magazine's latest tweet was a cartoon of the Islamic State militant group leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

soontobe Wed 07-Jan-15 11:57:14

It sounds like this particular magazine goes too far.

soontobe Wed 07-Jan-15 11:58:26

11 dead and 10 injured apparently. A huge death toll sad

janerowena Wed 07-Jan-15 12:08:20

Oh dear. sad There's a huge arab population in France, that was never going to go down too well, statistically. That means the poor peaceful French arabs will be having a really rough time over the next few weeks.

feetlebaum Wed 07-Jan-15 12:09:58

I'm sure, Soontobe, that the magazine doesn't 'go far' enough to make murder inevitable or pardonable.

You cannot put permissible limits on criticism.

feetlebaum Wed 07-Jan-15 12:17:40

Yes, Terribull, free speech must prevail - or the savages have won.

(With the usual proviso that one must not shout 'Fire!' in a crowded theatre - unless it actually is on fire.)

Lilygran Wed 07-Jan-15 12:20:07

I think soontobe was answering the question in the OP, feetle rather than making a general statement. Complete freedom of speech is an abstract ideal we may all promote but in reality, we exercise some discretion. Those poor people! sad

soontobe Wed 07-Jan-15 12:23:39

Of course it doesnt Feetlebaum.

And I think that you can put permissable limits on critisism.

I am not sure if we agree or disagree
Feetlebaum.
I agree with what Lilygran has posted.

Riverwalk Wed 07-Jan-15 12:24:12

Yes, free speech must prevail.

Religion is not above criticism and followers have no special rights not to be offended.

soontobe Wed 07-Jan-15 12:25:46

If you dont put limits on critisism, then that must mean that you and others can go about being uncontrolably rude to anyone you want to.

soontobe Wed 07-Jan-15 12:26:56

Free speech seems to be all about being rude nowadays.

Mishap Wed 07-Jan-15 12:31:50

Free speech is central to democracy - but needs to be tempered with respect, taste and decency. It should not be a licence to be as rude or offensive as possible.

Mishap Wed 07-Jan-15 12:33:53

I am not excusing this barbarism in any way.

soontobe Wed 07-Jan-15 12:45:28

Does your non respect of people extend to non religious people too, Feetlebaum and Riverwalk?

Free speech trumps being offensive to all people?

Anya Wed 07-Jan-15 12:46:32

That's a silly thing to say soontobe ... we should not be held hostage by these people. One of the first things Hitler did was gag the German Press and look where that lead.

Stansgran Wed 07-Jan-15 12:49:43

Twelve now dead and five seriously wounded. Nasty film of policeman being shot in the head as he was lying on the pavement.

Riverwalk Wed 07-Jan-15 12:50:24

Who says I have no respect for people?

Just that religious people have no special right to respect by virtue of their beliefs.

Anya Wed 07-Jan-15 12:56:04

Especially those who's views are extremist and violent.

soontobe Wed 07-Jan-15 12:59:12

Of course we should not be held hostage by those people. I absolutely agree.
But as in all things in life, there are lines that ought not to be crossed. By people and media and in all walks of life.

Itis about loving people.
Inciting them, or printing things that vastly upset other people is not loving them.

Neither is murder, just in case anyone is in any doubts.

Come on. This is basic stuff.

loopylou Wed 07-Jan-15 13:12:17

Not so certain these extreme radical groups give a monkeys about anyone else let alone respect anyone!

papaoscar Wed 07-Jan-15 13:21:00

We must stand together against these murdering thugs, whatever drives their fundamentalist drivel. Our way of life, with all its faults, is far superior to theirs. Hunt down the culprits quickly and punish them hard. They are terrorists.

Gracesgran Wed 07-Jan-15 13:24:09

These people are no more religious than those who have perverted real religions for the own purposes in the past Riverwalk but I know what you mean and agree.

Some of our free speech will be immediately limited by the fear this engenders so we should be loud in our praise of those who are prepared to stand up to these thugs. These offices had been fire bombed in the past so the journalists knew they were taking risks. People have taken risks for our freedom in the past and this is no different. Once you agree to limit freedom of speech you limit freedom. These were brave people.

POGS Wed 07-Jan-15 13:35:25

There are 10 murdered from the magazine Charlie Hebdo and 2 police officers. Also critically injured and other wounded. It must be so worrying that the gunmen are on the run, thus far.

I heard the French journalist Agnes Poirier, who is often on our t.v screens ,speaking from Paris to Andrew Neil during Daily Politics. She said that Charlie Hebdo does not single out Muslims/Islam it has a go at most establishments or religions. It is a satirical magazine after all.

I not only worry about the fact those who follow extreme beliefs in the Muslim faith are a danger to our total way of life but there is going to be an even bigger backlash against Muslims if the Muslim communities do not come out and show some backbone and condemn the likes of IS.

Sweden is seeing a big problem with anti Muslim sentiment and 3 mosques I believe have been fire bombed very recently. Germany had rallies against the 'Islamisation of the West' , in the last 2 days. There have been a few demonstrations in other countries but you don't get to hear of them because our media and news stations don't report world news very well.

If you don't believe in freedom of speech what do you want?. We either carry on with our Democratic way of life and abide by the law of our countries or we abide the Islamic/Muslim way of life according to the Muslim extremists, because we have given in to fear and accept their repressive/barbaric values. .

Well I for one do not want to touch/embrace any of the values of the barbaric/radical /extremist Muslim and the decent Muslim community must despair.

What I find probably worse than anything is the fact that barbaric murderer's kill 12 people and the conversation by the media is whether or not the magazine should have run cartoons. For heavens sake when will people just call these events what they are vile, barbaric, murderous attacks on western values by extremists who hold no value of humanity.

TerriBull Wed 07-Jan-15 13:38:45

Is it possible to argue with yourself? On the subject of blasphemy I do. On the one hand I absolutely agree with the sentiments of feetlebaum and others here who say that free speech must prevail because, if it doesn't we change the nature of our free society.

However I think we must accept that we live in the times we do, this publication has from what I have read, printed some pretty contentious material, and it's not the first time they have been targeted. Given today's awful massacre part of me can't help thinking is it worth provoking a very reactionary section of society if this is going to be the likely scenario. Having said that, following on from another thread many Christians feel that their beliefs are pilloried at times and and the expectation on them is frankly just to suck it up, so the premise of make exceptions is again one that I don't like.