Gransnet forums

News & politics

Charlie Hebdo: are our leaders taking us for fools?

(125 Posts)
MamaCaz Sat 17-Jan-15 17:54:02

Our leaders went to Paris to show solidarity following the Charlie Hebdo attacks, but it seems yet again that things weren't quite as we were led to believe.

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/paris-march-tv-wide-shots-reveal-a-different-perspective-on-world-leaders-at-largest-demonstration-in-frances-history-9972895.html

Yes, they were there, but not in the way that many of us imagined, or perhaps more importantly, were encouraged to believe!
In a way, I sympathise; They were there, they showed their support, but perhaps reasonably were kept at a safe distance and not expected to give up a whole day of their time to it.
In all honesty, I'm not sure how I feel about this, given the difference between what we've been led to believe and the reality. confused

What does everyone else think?

tanith Sat 17-Jan-15 18:00:36

I did wonder if they were kept separated from the 'hoy poloy' when I saw the pictures... I suppose for security reasons it had to be this way... still it doesn't stop the feeling of a bit of a 'con'.

soontobe Sat 17-Jan-15 18:04:44

It would have to be done like that for security wouldnt it?

I dont know about anyone else, but I didnt see the pan out shot in the media anywhere. But like I have said before, I dont buy many actual newspapers.

I have noticed before though, that even demonstartations of around 50, can and are made to look like hundreds visually. The tv in particular may say that the turnout is disappointing, but oftem seem to fail to actually show the public the true turnout.

MamaCaz Sat 17-Jan-15 18:07:08

Yes, I think that 'a bit of a con' just about sums up how I feel.
I don't have a problem with them going to Paris to show their solidarity but not taking part in the main march. It's simply the difference between reality and what was reported that bothers me. And I don't know whether to blame the politicians themselves or the media for that!

Ana Sat 17-Jan-15 18:10:42

At least we were allowed to see Angela Merkel and the other women in the photo!

www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/14/israeli-newspaper-hamevaser-merkel-women-charlie-hebdo-rally

Eloethan Sat 17-Jan-15 18:16:34

Yes, MamaCaz, my husband had already shown me this. As one of the commentators said, the stage managed and misleading way in which this event was presented suggests that those participating treated it primarily as a photo opportunity.

What I find even more annoying is that "nine of the countries represented by leaders and dignitaries in the march for press freedom are themselves in the bottom third of the World Press Freedom Index, compiled by Reporters without Borders."

Riverwalk Sat 17-Jan-15 18:17:25

Says it all doesn't it.

I'm more indignant about the countries that were represented, many of them stifle their own press and ban demonstrations in the street.

www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/11/paris-rally-charlie-hebdo-free-press-reports-without-borders

And the Israeli newspaper that erased the women from the photo!

edition.cnn.com/2015/01/14/world/israel-newspaper-female-leaders-photo-altered/

Ana Sat 17-Jan-15 18:20:39

Erm...I did just post a link about the missing women, Riverwalk!

granjura Sat 17-Jan-15 19:03:52

One Conservative Israeli magazine edited out all the women Prime Ministers too!? And then they say that Islam does not treat women fairly. Muslim countries have had more femal leaders in history than all the other ones put together, actually.

soontobe Sat 17-Jan-15 19:08:45

Muslim countries have had more femal leaders in history than all the other ones put together, actually.

Wow. In recent history?

Riverwalk Sat 17-Jan-15 19:13:52

granjura I could only think of four recent ones, so had to google and see that Bangladesh has had two women prime ministers, so five Moslem women leaders in recent times.

Riverwalk Sat 17-Jan-15 19:15:56

Seems quite extraordinary in the current situation, that Pakistan has twice voted for a woman leader.

soontobe Sat 17-Jan-15 19:23:14

So are countries interpreting the religion differently, one from another?

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 17-Jan-15 19:27:56

My God! How naive have we been?!

nightowl Sat 17-Jan-15 19:34:18

"Including a picture of a woman into something so sacred, as far as we are concerned, it can desecrate the memory of the martyrs and not the other way around,” Hamevaser’s editor said. Photograph: Israel Sun/Rex

Oh my God! A picture of a woman can desecrate the memory of the martyrs!

Where is anyone's God in all this crap?

absent Sat 17-Jan-15 19:35:39

Modern politics seems often to be just soundbites and photo ops. The phrase bread and circuses springs to mind.

absent Sat 17-Jan-15 19:36:38

*soontobe" Islam has different sects/branches/types just like Christianity, Judaism and Hinduism.

granjura Sat 17-Jan-15 19:48:11

soontobe- your comment is really quite shocking, sorry.
There are as many ways of being a Muslim as there are ways for being Christian (how many different Christian official Churches, evangelical groups and sects are there, I wonder?- even just in the UK).

Anglican
Catholic
Methodist
Baptist
Church of the Latter Saints,
Mormons (or are they the same)
Plymouth brethren
Salvation Army
Quakers
'Gospel' Churches
just a few from the top of my head- and so so many more. And of course 100s, possibly 1000s all over the workd, each with their own interpretation, liturgy, traditions, beliefs, etc.

soontobe Sat 17-Jan-15 19:51:21

But in christianity, a lot of the above are merely different styles of worship.
Not different ideas altogether.

Riverwalk Sat 17-Jan-15 19:58:31

You see no difference between say Mormons and Quakers? confused

soontobe Sat 17-Jan-15 20:04:00

Mormons are different from christianity.

Quakers keep to the bible as far as I know. They may pray more, and be silent more. But the bible is still at the heart.
Same for gospel churches, salvation army, baptist, anglican.

I would have to look yp the Plymouth brethren.
The Catholic church adds some books of its own to the bible.

soontobe Sat 17-Jan-15 20:05:03

I missed out church of latter day saints. I dont know a thing about them.

Greenfinch Sat 17-Jan-15 20:09:50

It is just another name for the Mormon Church.

absent Sat 17-Jan-15 20:11:40

It seems likely that the Catholic bible existed before the Reformation.

Greenfinch Sat 17-Jan-15 20:12:07

I have no sympathy with the Mormons but I think they would be very unhappy to be regarded as non-Christians