Gransnet forums

News & politics

Theresa May announces new Chair of the Child Abuse Inquiry.

(9 Posts)
POGS Wed 04-Feb-15 14:21:59

New Zealand judge, Justice Goddard is named as the new chair of the Child Abuse Inquiry by Theresa May.

Hope this is a suitable proposal as it needs to start sooner rather than later. Surely we can't have another one resign before she starts.

Hopefully the truth will out and no more guess work or party politics continue and those from any party who are guilty of sexual abuse are found out.

GrannyTwice Wed 04-Feb-15 14:38:40

I feel really hopeful about this appointment- smart move going to NZ. She has a great deal of relevant experience

whenim64 Wed 04-Feb-15 14:53:31

She 's got good credentials and has conducted a similar enquiry into police coverup of abuse a few years ago. I'm sure there'll be an attempt to fling mud at her by those who want this enquiry sabotaged, but fingers crossed it will be done as properly as we want.

GrannyTwice Wed 04-Feb-15 15:15:44

I guess she'd pick the mud up and throw it straight back but I agree, there are those who do want this enquiry to happen

crun Wed 04-Feb-15 15:15:54

I was pleased to hear that she will be given the power to compel witnesses to give evidence.

Iam64 Thu 05-Feb-15 12:43:03

Fingers crossed again - I do hope this important inquiry isn't de-railed, again.

Mishap Thu 05-Feb-15 13:31:11

The victims' group seemed to be pleased about her appointment - that is a good start.

Teetime Thu 05-Feb-15 14:53:10

Hopefully a good decision. I've saying for ages we should get someone from another country to be Chair and then perhaps they won't have any connections or vested interests.

POGS Thu 05-Feb-15 17:42:23

Well I don't think there has been a conspiracy to delay the inquiry so I don't think there will be mud slinging or attempts to sabotage her appointment.

I think she looks to be a good choice and I think she needs to get on with it.