Gransnet forums

News & politics

In today's Telegraph, thought prevoking?

(25 Posts)
Anne58 Thu 05-Feb-15 19:38:37

https://uk.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A9mSs210xdNUaAcAHhFKBQx.;_ylc=X1MDMjExNDcxNzAwMgRfcgMyBGZyA2F2YW50c2VhcmNoNgRncHJpZANhTlR4ODVfYVNlZVFTamhfQ3JuN1JBBG5fcnNsdAMwBG5fc3VnZwMxMARvcmlnaW4DdWsuc2VhcmNoLnlhaG9vLmNvbQRwb3MDNwRwcXN0cgNBbGxpc29uIARwcXN0cmwDOARxc3RybAMxNQRxdWVyeQNhbGxpc29uIHBlYXJzb24EdF9zdG1wAzE0MjMxNjQ3OTc-?p=allison+pearson&fr=avantsearch6&fr2=sa-gp-uk.search&iscqry=

Damn, wish I could remember the other thingy.

To précis, thought on current issues, the burning alive of the pilot, the abuse of animals in (supposedly) Halal slaughter houses, and FGM.

Ana Thu 05-Feb-15 19:47:39

A google page about Allison Pearson? confused

TerriBull Thu 05-Feb-15 20:02:55

In the Daily Telegraph very good article.

Anne58 Thu 05-Feb-15 20:23:22

Thank you, Terribull

Ana perhaps I posted the link a bit askew, the article in todays DT was written by Allison Pearson, I found it not a bad shot (sic) at describing how a fair few people might feel, even if it didn't, I stick by my comment in the OP, that it was thought provoking.

Ana Thu 05-Feb-15 20:28:39

Well, I'm sorry phoenix, but all I get when I click on your link is a Yahoo (not google, sorry) page full of references to Allison Pearson - no article as such.

Which one of the entries is the one you mean?

Ana Thu 05-Feb-15 20:29:30

OK I will google the Telegraph...

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 05-Feb-15 20:39:31

this article?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 05-Feb-15 20:46:47

I don't like Allisoon Pearson.

Ana Thu 05-Feb-15 21:00:53

Good article. I think she's voicing the opinions of a lot of UK citizens.

I didn't watch the footage of the pilot being burnt alive because I'm still haunted by the memory of that scene in The Wicker Man - and that was only a film.

PRINTMISS Fri 06-Feb-15 08:25:08

I thought the article was interesting and informative. There is so much going on in this country (under our noses?), which is contrary to the basic beliefs of many people, and because we are very much a live and let live community these things happen, really without our noticing, or perhaps it is only me. I have always felt that we should become multi-racial, and embrace other religions/faiths, but not at any price.

gillybob Fri 06-Feb-15 08:39:20

Well she is certainly saying what a lot of people are thinking.

Greyduster Fri 06-Feb-15 09:07:53

It was a good piece. I have wondered for a long time what we are sleepwalking into, and what kind of country our grandchildren are going to grow up in if our politicians don't get a grip soon.

TerriBull Fri 06-Feb-15 11:01:52

It seems quite paradoxical that whilst free speech is sacrosanct in our country, we have been constrained by political correctness for quite some time now that a resulting creeping acceptance of wrong doings by a section of ethnic minorities has been allowed to go unchallenged.

Alison Pearson highlighted a number of issues in this article, such as the sexual grooming that went on for a decade or more. She also discussed the very recent subversion of democracy debacle in Tower Hamlets which left many of the Muslim voters there pressurised into voting for Luther Rahman the present corrupt mayor. I am sure many immigrants come here to enjoy the freedoms that we have in our country and it must be distressing for them to find that they are living in a borough that has the same level of corruption from countries they are trying to escape from.

Turning a blind eye to practices that are contrary to our laws implies an insidious acceptance of behaviour that is completely alien to everything we hold dear. Perhaps not corruption because clearly that goes on in public life, but fgm, forced marriages, first cousin marriages which can result in genetic defects in children are a few that spring to mind.

Perpetrators are using stealth to import practices that are unacceptable here and elsewhere in the West and then cynically retaliate with the"Islamiaphobia" word. So much so it's almost a prerequisite to state "of course most Muslims are not like this and are peaceful people" particularly by politicians, and whilst that is no doubt the case, there is on occasions an over emphasis which makes me think they simply wont confront issues head on. In contrast I have never heard when the catholic church has had criticism levied at it for it's wrong doings and rightly so, a commentator pointing out what should be the obvious "of course not all catholics behave in this way"

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 06-Feb-15 11:06:51

AP seems to have a certain reputation in the Twittersphere. Her views are seen as able to be described with a word beginning with r. I stopped reading her tweets for that reason. A bit hysterical IMO. Just what we don't need at the moment.

janerowena Fri 06-Feb-15 11:07:54

I've followed Allison Pearson for years, I think she is excellent. It's such a fine line to tread, between racism and enforcing integration. We brits spent hundreds of years marching into other countries and forcing them to adapt to our ways - it's not nice to be on the receiving end!

Anne58 Fri 06-Feb-15 11:19:02

Thank you for sorting the link jings

POGS Fri 06-Feb-15 11:46:58

I agree with her.

Political Correctness has been harmful for years and the Rotherham case has now legitimised/given permission for using the term without being called a racist by those who have used that word incorrectly for years to stop any debate on anything that involved other cultures.

Anya Fri 06-Feb-15 11:47:25

This needed to be said. In fact it needs to be shouted from the house tops.

I consider all races to be equal.

I do not extend this same consideration to all religions, especially those who use their bibles, or korans or talmuds or whatever to kill and mutilate fellow human beings.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 06-Feb-15 12:05:16

confused My bible's only little.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 06-Feb-15 12:05:57

I'm sorry! Really sorry. blush

GillT57 Fri 06-Feb-15 13:14:08

I totally agree with everything that Allison Pearson has written and I am no great supported to the Daily Telegraph. It is not just the terrible things that are happening that sickens me, but the fact that nobody speaks out, or if they do, they are damned as a racist. I am sick and tired of apologists explaining that not all Muslims are murderers/terrorists/paedophiles/or whatever the latest atrocity is......yes, I do understand that, but isnt it also true that terrible things happen because good people do nothing? I was accused on here of knowing nothing of Middle East politics, that may well be so, but I do know that there are certain practices which are completely unacceptable and against the law of this country, and no amount of explanation of so called 'cultural differences' will make me change my mind. IS are loathsome, there are Muslim men in Rotherham and other towns in UK who are paedophiles and who are corrupt, so when is anyone in our weak ineffectual government going to do anything about it?

Anya Fri 06-Feb-15 14:12:37

That was actually a rather funny way to point out my faux pas Jingl ... I certainly didn't mean anyone physically uses their Book of God to beat someone to death. Please don't applogise, the problem with extremes of religion is they seem to lack a sense of humour. Anything that lifts the mood, even in a serious discussion, has my vite.

Did anyone see the Happy Muslim video?

Anya Fri 06-Feb-15 14:13:00

Vote

Anya Fri 06-Feb-15 14:49:00

Happy British Muslims worth a watch

janerowena Fri 06-Feb-15 17:32:02

Yes, I had seen it, it's very good. But I found it sad that when it came out, many of the girls in particular had to have their faces obscured. Then another version came out and they were missing!