Gransnet forums

News & politics

Morecambe Bay Report and Maternity Unit of Furness General Hospital

(16 Posts)
POGS Tue 03-Mar-15 19:50:15

Another Mid Staffs scenario?

The maternity unit at Furness General Hospital was " seriously dysfunctional" and families treated appallingly, sounds all too familiar! Years of incompitance took place. Midwives who were said to have 'fought a turf war' with doctors , good grief !

2004 - 2013 families reported failings but today they finally had the truth heard in the Morecambe Bay Report.

I take my hat off to those bereaved families who found the strength to get the truth recognized but I'm sure it is a day of little comfort.

janeainsworth Tue 03-Mar-15 20:30:24

According to the Telegraph
" In 2013, the scandal was at the centre of accusations that CQC officials had ordered a 'cover-up' of failures to act on concerns about the trust.
The matter sparked concern that CQC had been operating under political pressure from Labour to suppress bad news in the run-up to the 2010 election."
Make of that what you will - unsubstantiated claims by the Right-wing press in the run-up to the 2015 election, or evidence of the depths of corruption prevalent in modern Britain?

loopylou Tue 03-Mar-15 20:36:42

If it is unsubstantiated claims.....in the run up to the 2015 election then that's despicable, and the alternative doesn't bear thinking about, totally frightening what else has yet to come to light

Mishap Tue 03-Mar-15 20:53:53

Don't even go there! The hospital where my DD is due to deliver her baby soon has a maternity unit that is classified as unsatisfactory. Fingers crossed.

POGS Tue 03-Mar-15 21:21:34

How on earth is this Report ' unsubstantiated claims' by the right wing press in the run up to the election. ??

janeainsworth Tue 03-Mar-15 21:38:24

Pogs 'The matter sparked concern' - whose concern? It doesn't say. I can't find any other references to this online, and the CQC Official involved at Furness General has just been awarded £60,000 compensation for distress and damage to her reputation.
www.nwemail.co.uk/home/payout-for-furness-general-hospital-cover-up-row-cqc-chief-1.1180345
That's why I used the term 'unsubstantiated'.
Murky waters indeed.

vegasmags Tue 03-Mar-15 21:54:32

Kirkup's report is truly shocking, detailing failures and cover ups at all levels. I am full of admiration for the families who lost wives and babies and pushed for investigation. I understand that the death of little Joseph Titcombe, from sepsis from an untreated infection, is under police investigation. Quite right too, in my opinion. Some of the midwives under investigation by the Royal College are still practising at the hospital - why aren't they being suspended?

POGS Tue 03-Mar-15 22:13:14

janeinsworth

I have to clarify something as I am thinking you don't accept the Morecambe Bay Report .

Are you saying you believe the reported facts and today's findings are made up by the right wing press? Or am I doing you a misjustice and interpreting your posts incorrectly?

Mishap Tue 03-Mar-15 22:16:42

All the news tonight is so depressing.

Ana Tue 03-Mar-15 22:21:19

www.theguardian.com/society/2015/mar/03/morecambe-bay-report-lethal-mix-problems-baby-deaths-cumbria

Is this report from a left wing publication more acceptable to you, janea?

janeainsworth Tue 03-Mar-15 23:11:19

Crikey! I'm deeply shocked and horrified by the Furness General Scandal. Of course I don't disbelieve the findings of the Kirkup report.

I thought my first post was crystal clear.

It was the allegation in the Daily Telegraph (this morning's print version) that the Labour Party had put pressure on the CQC to suppress its findings
that was unsubstantiated.
It was the second part of my final paragraph, this is evidence of the depths of corruption prevalent in modern Britain that reflects my personal view.

Is that clear enough?

POGS Tue 03-Mar-15 23:36:43

Jane

Yes, thanks.

I think it was better to sort things out as I was surprised that was your view. Easy to misinterpret a post !

janeainsworth Tue 03-Mar-15 23:39:33

Pogs smile

harrigran Tue 03-Mar-15 23:47:03

This hospital is the nearest to our second home and it does not have a good reputation.

absentgrandma Wed 04-Mar-15 14:49:54

Having lost a baby for what I considered was medical incompetence, no amount of apologies or reports will ever compensate for the loss of a child/parent/partner.
The Furness Hospital debacle seems to have been exacerbated by a 'turf war' between a group of midwives and the obstetrics team. It looks as if the unfortunate mothers and babies were caught in the cross fire. If this is the case it is quite reprehensible.

One of the main 'stirrers' in this case (a bereaved father) was on Breakfast Tv this morning. Thank God he had the strength of will to pursue it. When you lose a baby, or a close relative in what you believe is a medical error you are usually too stunned to go on the offensive, as I was. So you 'let it go'. Well done him for never 'lettting it go'.

I'm full of admiration for the lady 'whistle-blower' in the Staffordshire Hopsital scandal, and she, poor woman, suffered the most appalling abuse from certain members of the medical profession.

crun Wed 04-Mar-15 21:32:42

I used to think that corruption was something that only happened in Banana Republics, how naïve was that! Every time there's a scandal it's always the same, they wheel out some patsy to stand on the steps of the court and spout the usual platitudes for the media, and then stuff the report down the back of the filing cabinet and carry on with business as usual.

If I hear another "lessons will be learnt" or "we must make sure this never ever happens again" I'll stick my head through the TV screen. angry

NHS, care homes, Rotherham, Oxford, Hillsborough, Bloody Sunday, Stephen Lawrence, Birmingham Six, Guildford Four, Webster children............