Gransnet forums

News & politics

Our national bird

(80 Posts)
louella Mon 16-Mar-15 11:06:54

I noticed this story in the papers today - my choice would be robin but I was interested in what others might think www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11474158/Robin-or-wren-Vote-for-our-national-bird.html

Mishap Mon 16-Mar-15 11:15:01

Robin or wren.

tanith Mon 16-Mar-15 11:17:14

I would vote for the Robin also. Nothing cheers me up every morning like our resident Robin of the moment hopping around in the garden and following me as I poke around outside.

Anne58 Mon 16-Mar-15 11:24:39

I'm for the Robin too, as I expect that everyone, no matter where they live will have seen them. I don't think you could say the same for the Barn Owl, they are not exactly a common sight in big towns or cities.

kittylester Mon 16-Mar-15 11:28:18

I'd vote for a wren. They are quite non-descript and blend into the background easily but they are always busy, darting here and there, and make a heck of a noise when necessary!

Ana Mon 16-Mar-15 11:28:40

I'd be tempted to vote for the wren, we have one which comes to our garden and I catch a glimpse of him sometimes if I'm lucky! But I agree that the robin is a more common sight and is recognisable to most people.

louella Mon 16-Mar-15 11:36:40

I think of robins as very British. I am probably completely wrong about that though!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 16-Mar-15 11:39:32

Why do we need one particular bird to be the "national" one? Bonkers!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 16-Mar-15 11:40:41

They actually expect us to give it some thought? confused

gillybob Mon 16-Mar-15 11:42:24

What about Turkey, Chicken or Seagull ?

AlieOxon Mon 16-Mar-15 11:45:47

I think it's bonkers too.

merlotgran Mon 16-Mar-15 11:48:49

We have a resident barn owl. If one of us is driving up the farm road just before dusk he'll be working the drains and will often fly alongside the car. It's the most amazing sight and makes us feel very lucky indeed.

gillybob Mon 16-Mar-15 11:49:53

What about a national pet?
A national fish?
A national tree?
Flower?
Weed?
Insect?

Riverwalk Mon 16-Mar-15 11:57:25

Robin or Wren?? shock

Far too wimpy!

Greyduster Mon 16-Mar-15 12:09:24

How do we define a national bird? Is it one we all like and see a lot of, or one which says something about what sort of country we are? Robins are gregarious but if you've ever seen two locked together in a scrap, they can be extremely aggressive and territorial. The wren, which would get my vote, is small and busy with a loud voice which might have described us years ago but I'm not so sure now. Someone on the radio suggested a chicken hmm! I agree, it's all rather silly.

Nelliemoser Mon 16-Mar-15 12:22:06

The Blackbird is my choice. They sit up high and sing their socks off when the weather is fine. They are glorious birds despite being so common in Britain.
Robins are not the nice little birds every one thinks.

The presence of a robin in my garden has seen off all the blue tits that were there for the last two years.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/jul/10/pigeons-garden-birds-entertainment

"When it comes to friends, the robin is always top of the league table. This charming little bird is a symbol of the enduring friendship between humans and the bird world – an emissary from the wild come to fill our hearts with joy." "What a pity, then, that the robin is in reality the most vicious, violent and thuggish of all garden birds. If there were asbos for birds themselves, then every robin in Britain would have one. The males in particular will not allow any rivals into their territory, and will fight intruders, sometimes to the death."

grumppa Mon 16-Mar-15 12:27:21

Are we looking for a bird that all the constituent parts of the UK can agree on? If so, Election Day could get really nasty.

Of the ones on the list, the wren at least has history. It used to be on the farthing.

thatbags Mon 16-Mar-15 12:41:21

Wrens are one of my favourite birds. Robins are anything but wimpy.

I didn't know France and India had so-called national birds. This suggests that the significance of their national birds is low. I suspect it would be the same here.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 16-Mar-15 12:44:28

that's true grumppa! Good point.

louella Mon 16-Mar-15 12:47:27

I like the idea of a national weed smile

gillybob Mon 16-Mar-15 12:50:51

I would vote for the pissy bed dandelion louella grin

whenim64 Mon 16-Mar-15 12:52:36

Robin or wren are great choices, but for me the sheer presence of a song thrush would get my vote. Hearing them singing from the treetops in the early evening as the days get longer is a delight.

ninathenana Mon 16-Mar-15 13:37:30

I would vote for the blackbird. Such a beautiful song.

thatbags the rooster is the main feature on France's national sports teams badge.

We already have a national flower, the rose and the oak tree ?

Anya Mon 16-Mar-15 13:38:36

Do you mean a national bird for England? We have 4 national flowers (plus the Welsh have a national vegetable which seems a bit OTT IMHO) so of course we need four national birds?

England - The Sparrow
Scotland - The Famous Grouse
Wales - The Red Kite
N. Ireland - The Lapwing

?

granjura Mon 16-Mar-15 15:34:03

jingle, I agree - just hate being asked all the time- what's your favourite flower, bird, animal, food, wine, country- and so on. I love just too many birds to choose... and refuse too.