News & politics

The End of the World

(18 Posts)
annodomini Tue 17-Mar-15 18:51:44

Again! So 'they' say!

Grannyknot Tue 17-Mar-15 18:53:58

I blame the contactless cards.

Elegran Tue 17-Mar-15 19:08:37

It is indeed miraculous that the universe is still going strong, after all the thousands of times that the end has been predicted.

It just proves something or other.

What they forget, of course, is that the whole point of the end of the world is that no-one can predict when it will be, so any prediction is bound to be wrong. Bit of a waste of time trying, really.

soontobe Tue 17-Mar-15 19:27:55

Quite. If the ministers read the bible, they will quickly discover that they are wrong.

Elegran Tue 17-Mar-15 20:01:43

“Live as though you’ll die tomorrow, but farm as though you’ll live forever.”

― John Marsden

absent Tue 17-Mar-15 20:03:54

Surely the beginning of the end of the world started at the beginning of the beginning of the world.

annodomini Tue 17-Mar-15 20:09:47

Will the eclipse be the end of the beginning or the beginning of the end. absent? It won't be visible in your part of the world anyway.

loopylou Tue 17-Mar-15 20:14:17

We in the North should (apparently) be warned.........
Better get on with guzzling nibbling all the chocolate I fancy after reading other threads on obesity. Would hate it to go to waste or be vapourised when this end of Earth blows up/shrinks/floods etc confused

grumppa Tue 17-Mar-15 20:20:24

Since the date of the next eclipse is already known, I'm fairly relaxed about this Friday's.

loopylou Tue 17-Mar-15 20:40:51

Only fairly grumppa?

grumppa Tue 17-Mar-15 21:00:15

You never can tell!

loopylou Tue 17-Mar-15 21:23:45

grin

vampirequeen Wed 18-Mar-15 08:48:09

If the eclipse is warning the northern hemisphere that it's about to be destroyed does that mean that the Australians shall inherit the Earth. I didn't realise they were a naturally meek people.

annodomini Wed 18-Mar-15 09:39:24

The Arctic Circle is evidently going to be obliterated. Then the glaciers of Svaalbard will melt into the ocean, the sea level will rise and our coastal areas will flood. I wonder if all the whales have been swimming south. They are probably the inheritors.

Lapwing Wed 18-Mar-15 10:25:29

Nothing ever changes - when I was a child about 50+ years ago there was a man who used to walk the streets with a placard that stated:-

THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH

And here we are 50 years later. smile

janerowena Wed 18-Mar-15 11:51:29

I remember racing home to tell my mother when I saw that same man, lapwing. She told me not to worry, he had been around when she was little, too!

amarmai Wed 18-Mar-15 20:13:47

ah! now i understand why i received a many page rewrite of my insurance coverage, most of it dealing with rising water tables, streams rivers and lakes , tidal waves and other water related disasters-all letting them off the hook! Well i guess that means they expect to be around after what ever is predicted and they intend to still be making money!

vampirequeen Sat 21-Mar-15 09:37:07

Well I didn't wake up with wet feet this morning so I guess the polar caps are still there.