Gransnet forums

News & politics

Rotherham/Cyril Smith Cover up.

(13 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 18-Mar-15 10:49:21

On Radio 4's PM programme (started at 5pm) last night there were several interviews that showed the extent of the cover up of child abuse around Cyril Smith (and others). The account of the newspaper office being visited by Special Branch officers, and the revelations by a chap that was a serving Police Office at the time are quite staggering. People who tried to reveal what was going on were threatened with prosecution under the Official Secrets Act.

I think it is still available on iplayer, and I would recommend that you have a listen, as it gives a better account than I could here.

There are probably people still alive who could reveal what was known at the time, but it was implied that some were still frightened to come forward.

soontobe Wed 18-Mar-15 10:52:49

People are calling for immunity from the Official Secrets Act, so that people can speak out.

Anne58 Wed 18-Mar-15 11:22:58

soon don't you think that is quite alarming, that even after all this time, some police officers, journalists etc are still frightened of the potential consequences?

soontobe Wed 18-Mar-15 11:25:26

Yes.

petra Wed 18-Mar-15 11:28:32

Did anyone see the interview with the poor man (on channel 4 news) last night. He was telling his story about how he was taken to the flat in Dolphin square. He said that he will fight on for the memory of two of his friends who committed suicide over their abuse there.
Teresa May has stated that all police officers have no of prosecution under the official secrets act. Google enough for me.
This will never come out. It's too big.
I knew a young man who had had the most horrendous upbringing and was then adopted by a peodiophile. He went to the police with evidence and was then found dead in very suspicious circumstances.

loopylou Wed 18-Mar-15 11:39:36

Hideous news, it really makes you wonder just how much more has yet to be disclosed.
Fat chance whilst suppression, threates and bullying continues angry sad

crun Wed 18-Mar-15 14:28:41

It's been mentioned more than once that one of the abusers was a senior officer in MI5, in which case there's little wonder that the Official Secrets Act is being wielded. Cyril Smith was small fry really, I think it was probably hushed up because of the names he could have named rather than for his benefit.

Anniebach Wed 18-Mar-15 14:38:24

May said she hoped anyone coming forward wouldn't be prosecuted, hardly encouraging from a Home Secretary

loopylou Wed 18-Mar-15 14:40:16

Hoped ?
Possibly because of those yet to be exposed?

Anniebach Wed 18-Mar-15 15:28:49

If it took 26 years for the truth of Hillsborough to come out, not forgetting the number of witnesses who couldn't hide behind the official secrets act and the number who could, who really has hope that the Met investigating the Met is going to bring out the truth in this case , i do not

Iam64 Thu 19-Mar-15 08:19:00

Lancashire Police reviewed its handling of the late 1960's investigation into CS. The conclusion was printed in the press yesterday. "There is no evidence" of a cover up or that staff were threatened with the official secrets act. Jack Tasker was a sergeant involved in the investigation. He is now in his 80's and I believe him when he says the investigation was closed down by senior officers, under instruction from Mi5/secret service. If Lancashire Constabulary can reach this conclusion in the face of overwhelming evidence from the victims and the police officers involved in the initial investigation, what hope is there for the various enquiries taking place into historical sexual abuse involving vulnerable children and powerful adults?

The Daily Mirror this morning prints an interview with a former Gtr Manchester Police officer. In the 1980's he was involved in another investigation into CS who was found at the home of a known pedophile, along with two intoxicated boys aged about 14. The enquiry was closed down the following day. GMP is asking for witnesses to inform the inquiry its planning into this. Don't hold your breath folks, it's beginning to feel like nothing changes.

CelticRose Tue 24-Mar-15 11:58:18

Why just this abomination of a man? There were probably many, many more. What of the allegations about 25 years ago about an un-named senior royal. That story was abruptly stopped in the popular press in less than a week. You don't really have to wonder who knew apart from the police authorities.

Iam64 Tue 24-Mar-15 18:25:49

Celtic Rose, there are many more and the allegations are out there being discussed on forums. When allegations were first made against Jimmy Saville and later cyril Smith, many people defended them but it's now accepted both were serial abusers. Although the police had investigated Saville, it doesn't seem this was as frequently as different forces investigated Cyril Smith. When will we know who was pulling the strings of the Special Branch. I suspect it suited the SB to have information with which to influence various powerful individuals.