Gransnet forums

News & politics

Hayley Okines dies.

(14 Posts)
Nelliemoser Sat 04-Apr-15 11:47:26

This teenager with the dreadful condition of Progeria (premature aging) has died.
She appeared in several documentaries over the years and wanted to be involved in raising awareness of this conditon. A very brave girl to go through with all this. RIP Hayley.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-32174131

annsixty Sat 04-Apr-15 11:54:44

I was so saddened when I read this news.I saw two documentaries featuring her and she was so brave and always smiling. She hid how she really felt very,very well. She and her parents were inspirational. Rest well Hayley.

Eloethan Sat 04-Apr-15 11:57:30

A life unfairly cut short but lived well and bravely.

loopylou Sat 04-Apr-15 12:46:24

Very sad, she was such a cheerful and positive person.
I was amazed at what she achieved despite her condition- a real inspiration.
Bless her.

Soutra Sat 04-Apr-15 12:51:06

Very saddened by this and find it hard to imagine what her poor parents have gone through watching her deteriorate before their eyes as it were. But what a brave, cheerful, inspiring little girl she was. Maybe it is true, although heartbreaking, that it is not the length of a life that matters but the quality of that life. RIP Hayley

merlotgran Sat 04-Apr-15 13:13:04

So sad. Such a brave girl.

rosesarered Sat 04-Apr-15 13:37:01

I echo what Soutra says, not the length of a life but the quality.What a terrible condition Progeria is.

nigglynellie Sat 04-Apr-15 15:37:03

This news is so sad, those poor parents and even more, poor girl. It makes you sit up and realize how lucky those of us who have healthy children and grandchildren are. My heart goes out to this family and their very brave daughter.

feetlebaum Sat 04-Apr-15 15:58:59

Indeed - poor girl. And the worst thing about it for us, is that we can't find anybody to blame... which would have done nothing to help poor Hayley, but might have made us feel righteously better about it!

AlieOxon Sat 04-Apr-15 16:02:43

She was beautiful.

rosequartz Sat 04-Apr-15 16:08:09

RIP Hayley, such an inspiration.

When we grumble about nothing we should remember her and her cheerful fortitude.

AshTree Sat 04-Apr-15 16:19:58

Such a very brave girl, and such a tragic condition. I always felt so desperately sad for her parents, having to watch their child grow older than them, as it were. An unimaginable experience, and yes, nigglynellie it certainly does make us realise how fortunate we have been with our children and grandchildren.

At the other end of the scale is this poor child whose body didn't age.
Brooke Greenberg

nigglynellie Sat 04-Apr-15 16:53:26

Oh dear, so very sad, well worse than that, a complete tragedy. Let's hope and pray that one day medicine will be able to help.

numberplease Sun 05-Apr-15 00:39:44

RIP two brave and lovely girls.