Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ruth Rendell

(13 Posts)
TerriBull Sat 02-May-15 18:18:56

I was sad to read that Ruth Rendell has died aged 85. I suppose it wasn't really a surprise as I gather she suffered a stroke recently. I have enjoyed reading her books for quite a while and also those written under her nom de plume of Barbara Vine.

Ana Sat 02-May-15 18:22:55

I read that she'd died. I loved her books, especially the Barbara Vine ones. She was such a prolific writer.

TerriBull Sat 02-May-15 18:29:18

Yes I agree Ana, especially the Barbara Vine ones, I'll miss not getting one of her latest, which I usually put on my Christmas list. PE James also died a little while ago, I'm not sure I have discovered a female crime writer of that I enjoy as much.

GillT57 Sat 02-May-15 18:51:21

Very sad to hear about the death of Ruth Randall, I love her books.

TerriBull Sat 02-May-15 18:53:24

I meant P D James not P E

Anniebach Sun 03-May-15 09:58:17

Read all her books, a brilliant crime writer

Hunt Sun 03-May-15 10:14:11

Anniebach, how about just a brilliant writer?

merlotgran Sun 03-May-15 10:25:13

You couldn't put a Ruth Rendell down once you'd started it, they were such thrilling page turners.

A Fatal Inversion is one of my favourite Barbara Vine books and I loved the Inspector Wexford series on telly.

Anniebach Sun 03-May-15 10:45:42

Hunt, for me a brilliant crime writer could not be a brilliant crime writer if they were not a brilliant writer

NotTooOld Sun 03-May-15 11:07:29

Love the RR and the BV books and read them all. My favourite is From Doon with Death (I may have got that a bit wrong - her first book, anyway) and also the one about kids surfing on the underground trains (ie riding on the roof of the train) - I think that was a BV. Can anyone remember what it was called as I'd love to read it again.

RIP Ruth Rendell, you brought a lot of pleasure to a lot of people.

TerriBull Sun 03-May-15 11:27:58

I think it was called King Soloman's Carpet NoTooOld

TerriBull Sun 03-May-15 11:35:20

Stand out books for me were A Dark Adapted Eye, The Chimney Sweep's Boy, Asta's Book and The Blood Doctor, I was rarely disappointed, although I thought Portobello a fairly recent one, wasn't up to her usual standard.

Eloethan Sun 03-May-15 13:05:26

Sad news about Ruth Rendell but she had had a very severe stroke and perhaps death might have been a release.

My very favourite Barbara Vine book was A Dark Adapted Eye and I also enjoyed The Brimstone Wedding. My favourite Ruth Rendell books were The Tree of Hands and A Judgment in Stone.

I didn't really enjoy her later mysteries as much.