Gransnet forums

News & politics

To stay up or not to stay up

(47 Posts)
whitewave Wed 17-Sep-14 21:09:12

It seems an historically important vote tomorrow and I don't know whether to stay up or not. Is anyone else planning to do so?

kittylester Wed 17-Sep-14 21:13:39

No! It won't make any difference and we''ll need all our strength for the days after!

Crow Wed 17-Sep-14 21:18:05

My family in USA are going to follow it all day.
I know it is an historic occasion, so why do I feel so sad?
On the other hand I know Granny23 will be happy for a yes vote, so whatever the result is all I can reiterate is please let us all pull together.

Elegran Wed 17-Sep-14 21:19:01

No. I'll go to bed as usual and find out how it went when I get up. I never stay up for general elections either, it is too late to influence anything.

annodomini Wed 17-Sep-14 21:41:49

My staying up all night won't make any difference to the result! If I wake up during the night I'll switch the radio on and see how things are going and no doubt fall asleep again.

Soutra Wed 17-Sep-14 21:44:11

Better an early night and set the alarm for 6.30 if you need it. I don't imagine we will know much earlier as it is total numbers not councils as with General Elections and constituencies. Plus it is bound to be close. [oo-er] emoticon

Ana Wed 17-Sep-14 21:48:53

Surely the result won't be clear until late on Friday?

Yes, kitty, I agree that we'll need our strength for the inevitable round of post mortems.

rosesarered Wed 17-Sep-14 21:52:20

I think I heard it would be Friday afternoon before we know for sure. Yes, it will be a historic vote [in the history books!] but I will still be going to bed at a decent hour.Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

penguinpaperback Wed 17-Sep-14 22:06:33

Oh I might do whitewave I don't sleep well and often have the World Service on. I'm English but hope whatever happens it's the best result for Scotland.
Will be glad when it's over though. smile

Nelliemoser Wed 17-Sep-14 22:54:48

I can never be a***d to stay up for any election what is the point you can do nothing about the outcome. My parents did this for years when I was at home.
I find all the so called developing news about any election totally boring. They are not now about the issues at stake for the individual parties, but all the navel gazing that the pundits seem to indulge in seem to be about the process of the elections not the issues.

In these Scottish elections there seem to have been a lot of "well we are going to win" which seems to me to imply, "so why not be on the winning side."
This makes me very annoyed. I would never vote for any political party just because that might put me on the winning side.

durhamjen Wed 17-Sep-14 23:08:20

I do not normally go to bed until 1 a.m. anyway.
I will do that and switch the TV on in my bedroom, just in case I fall asleep. My bed is more comfortable than the settee.

merlotgran Wed 17-Sep-14 23:14:39

We're always up early but it will be a good excuse to stick the telly on and take a large mug of tea back to bed - after letting the dogs out and feeding the chickens.

If I'm in luck DH will make me a bacon sandwich grin

Katek Wed 17-Sep-14 23:20:11

I am a resident Scot but I will be going to bed and may well pull the duvet over my head for the next week! I am soooo fed up with it all and just want it to be over.

durhamjen Wed 17-Sep-14 23:43:19

A bit like Rip Van Winkle, but not so long.
I wonder if you will recognise the world when you come out from under your duvet.

baubles Thu 18-Sep-14 12:13:51

I'll be setting the alarm for 4am. I want to see the results as they come in.

Charleygirl Thu 18-Sep-14 12:33:53

Katek I am a Scot living in London. I fear that the duvet may be over your head for months if not years, irrespective of which way the vote goes.

I have a plumber coming early tomorrow so I will need my sleep to be up and ready for him.

HollyDaze Thu 18-Sep-14 12:47:39

Surely the result won't be clear until late on Friday?

That is what I heard Ana - and that is only if there is no call for a recount!

I shall be going off to bed as normal and will catch up with the outcome when I put the tv on to a news channel.

vampirequeen Thu 18-Sep-14 13:13:10

I will sleep through it. I normally stay up for things like this but DH isn't well and I know he won't go to bed without me.

granjura Thu 18-Sep-14 15:20:40

Must say I would normally stay up. But daughter is visiting from the UK this week-end, arriving late pm here, and I want to be in good form for her. I guess I'll get up at the crack of dawn to come down and watch results (NO TV upstairs, by choice)- and then sneak back into bed.

Gracesgran Thu 18-Sep-14 15:42:02

The earliest I have heard that we will have a real idea is 5 a.m. It has varied from channel to channel. I don't think I will stay up - although I don't go to bed early.

Mishap Thu 18-Sep-14 16:04:23

I'll very definitely be fast asleep - barring insomnia.

rubysong Thu 18-Sep-14 17:05:24

I won't stay up but may put the telly on if I wake in the night. I'm English, in England but there will be changes for all of us if the Scots take that leap in the dark. When DH was often at sea I would watch general election results through the night. I was 'up for Portillo' that night. DS1 as a big teenager watched with me one time with lots of tea and chocolate biscuits and enjoyed seeing history made. (He has gone on to do a history Masters degree.)

Polygran Thu 18-Sep-14 19:14:24

Planning to watch some if I am awake! Just landed home from Canada so jet lag may help (or not)
Am both fascinated and horrified by this referendum

henetha Thu 18-Sep-14 19:23:51

If I stay up I would only fall asleep anyway, so might as well go to bed.
But I shall be quite keen to get up early to see how the results are going.
This is a historic moment, isn't it. But I am a bit fed up with it being done to death by the media so will be pleased when it's over now.

hildajenniJ Thu 18-Sep-14 19:27:32

Going to bed early. Up for work at 03.00 so I'll put the TV on to see how it's going. Dd, Si L and my DGC live in Argyll and Bute so I'm very interested.