Gransnet forums

News & politics

What a nasty, freaky little irk...

(44 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Sep-14 12:14:47

..that Daily Mirror freelance reporter was! Amongst the scrum of the earth!

Everyone's human. It was entrapment. The Mirror has sunk pretty low before, and this one...!

Women have lost a good representative in parliament. angry

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Sep-14 12:18:39

Oh. story here

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Sep-14 12:28:27

And he stole some innocent woman's Twitter photographs to use in his scam. Unbelievable.

I hope they find something to prosecute him with.

janerowena Mon 29-Sep-14 12:31:46

What a revolting person.

And what a stupid MP! When will they learn...

J52 Mon 29-Sep-14 12:41:43

This is a person contributing to running the country and another with the presses power of influence! What on earth has civilised society come to?!

petallus Mon 29-Sep-14 12:41:58

Why on earth do men, particularly middle aged ones, think women actually want to see pictures of their genitals!

Or is it just me?

janerowena Mon 29-Sep-14 12:58:18

Auditioning for the part...

glammanana Mon 29-Sep-14 13:09:07

Sending pictures regarding private parts of the body should be banned from these social media sites imo,I can think of nothing more off putting than receiving pic's of middle aged men who are somewhat lacking in the looks category showing off their "bits".

Teetime Mon 29-Sep-14 13:09:40

Strange isn't it- men's wobbly bits I mean.

POGS Mon 29-Sep-14 13:26:08

There are two stories running alongside each other here.

1. Newmark was an absolute fool, he won't be the first, he won't be the last. It has no relevance that he is a Conservative MP as it has little relevance Labour MP's have recently resigned for fraud and a Lib Dem resigned for breaking the law. It was after all a left wing rag that set out to entrap a politician so it would be a Tory anyway.

He was correct to resign his post, I don't think it rates as high as financial fraud or breaking the law but it is none the less a serious error of judgement and certainly embarrassing for the party.

I just feel so sorry for his wife and children but I guess he should have put that into the equation when he did what he did.

2. The Mirror Group is I hope going to get a bit of s--t thrown at them for once, instead of them giving it.

They have recently admitted to phone hacking, apparently they must be in order to do so as I have not seen very media coverage aghast at it's usage, no police investigation or journalist arrested as with the NOW. and the Sun. WHY? I was not surprised by the hypocrisy of Hacked Off over the phone hacking when I heard there spokesman on t.v. It's not a right wing paper is it!

They have clearly used entrapment by using a male reporter who used a picture of a female, as far as I can tell without her permission? They apparently have tried this tactic on more than one MP. I think the hypocrisy of the likes of the Daily Mirrors Kevin McQuire is astounding in trying to defend this story and the Mirror Group. I hope it opens up a can of worms for them.

I will be interested as to the connections between the Leveson Report and this incident. I will be interested to see what the new body for self governance of the newspaper profession comes up with. I won't hold my breath.

Nelliemoser Mon 29-Sep-14 13:30:59

I don't approve of entrapment journalism but the SOB was stupid enough to respond he was not forced to do this.
He is a public figure! He should have always been thinking about his reputation before waving his bits at a camera.

Men have what few brains they have in their dicks.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Sep-14 13:38:53

Yes. He was very silly. But he's just a human being. (a male one at a that)

Nonnie Mon 29-Sep-14 13:47:00

They deserve each other. I don't want such an idiot helping to run my country!

Anya Mon 29-Sep-14 13:49:34

What a Willie Wonka!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Sep-14 13:57:48

No saints available nonnie.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Sep-14 14:01:07

Social media is just so there these days. Always at our fingertips. So easy to go wrong.

He is trying so hard to get more women into parliament. Hopes he keeps that up now he's no longer a minister.

HollyDaze Mon 29-Sep-14 17:03:34

Will they never learn - don't take photos of yourself (or let others take them of you) unless you don't care if they end up in the public domain; how many times does this have to happen before it sinks in? Silly man, I feel more sorry for his poor wife and children.

Nelliemoser Mon 29-Sep-14 17:30:15

Jingle Keeps exactly what up, now he is no linger a minister? wink

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Sep-14 17:34:05

shock. Rude. grin

janerowena Mon 29-Sep-14 17:57:50

Also I would be worried about what other people thought of me, if I had been a woman promoted (as in recommended) by him prior to this. I would wonder if people were looking at me and wondering what sort of photo I had sent him to get where I was.

Both of them are complete idiots and bastards, but in different ways. I feel for the MP's wife as much as I do for the girl who had her image stolen - and she was pretty daft too!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 29-Sep-14 19:24:37

I don't think it makes him a "bastard" janerowena. It's a product of the asge we live in. Most middle aged men have fantasies. But there's never been social media to put it's boot in before.

I feel so sorry for him. Must be so hard to handle this fallout.

suzied Mon 29-Sep-14 19:45:59

I know some teenagers go in for this sort of thing, but middle aged men..? The thought is too unpleasant...he should have known better.

janerowena Mon 29-Sep-14 20:31:02

I was looking at him from his wife's point of view, and that is exactly what I would have called him, I suppose. Having a fantasy and acting on it are two separate things and should stay that way, unless you have your partner's permission. Yes, I know it rarely happens like that, but I can fantasise that it does, too! Yet another good man whose brain occasionally takes up residence in his willy, sadly.

POGS Mon 29-Sep-14 21:37:24

I am none the wiser as to the feeling of GN's opinions re the OP and the role the Sunday Mirror played.

I see they are being reported to IPSO.

Tom Newton Dunn from the Sun said both the Sun and the Daily Mail had 'turned down' the story offered by the freelance reporter. Says a lot, perhaps the IPSO threat has made them think a bit before printing, I hope so.

grumppa Mon 29-Sep-14 21:48:13

Thank you for telling me where my brain is, nelliemoser. At least it's warm and sheltered for it down there.