Gransnet forums

News & politics

What to do about Calais

(9 Posts)
Kiora Thu 23-Oct-14 19:26:06

In the news over the last few evening has been the issue of people trying to get to the U.K from Calais. I veer from sympathising with their plight and suffering to being confounded about our inability to solve the problem. Surely we could design a way of making lorries more secure to dissuade people from injuring themselves trying to stowaway on them. Or perhaps have more manpower to search the lorry before they board. I don't get it really why is the U.K such a draw? Isn't france, Germany,Holland and all our EU partners operate similar benefits systems. More importantly how do we solve the problem or at least stop it mushrooming?

granjura Thu 23-Oct-14 19:48:34

I have no idea- it is such a complex problem, with no easy solutions, that is for sure.

One of the most moving films I've ever seen is a French film called 'Welcome' - if you get a chance to see it, do. It makes you realise that everyone of these young people trying to escape war or extreme poverty, is someone's son and grandson.

And yet- neither the UK, nor my tiny Switzerland, can take over all the misery of the world without sinking. So what to do???

Deedaa Thu 23-Oct-14 20:56:30

Up until 15 years ago DH used to drive a lorry across Europe and I used to go with him sometimes. I was really shocked by some of the scenes that have been shown on the news. Gangs of men armed with sticks and lorries not stopping for fuel closer than 30 kilometres to Calais. I'm so glad he isn't driving now.

Iam64 Fri 24-Oct-14 09:36:12

So many African countries are war torn, and unstable it isn't surprising that people see Europe as a haven. Parts of Africa were colonised by European countries and some asylum seekers I've spoken with feel they have should be entitled to enter European countries because of that.

European governments need to work together of course. I wish I could come up with something constructive to say about the African governments, and what happens to the aid all european countries contribute to help progress in that country. I can't. Can anyone else, please!

Charleygirl Fri 24-Oct-14 13:09:57

I do not think that the French are doing their 100%. On a programme recently the mayor or his deputy threatened to give the asylum seekers the money for the channel crossing to GB to get them off their patch.

I still think that many feel that the streets here are paved with gold and they get a shock when they realise the cost of living. Some with families also think it is their right to get council property. I have no idea what the answer is.

sunseeker Fri 24-Oct-14 13:49:25

I think France should be doing more to stop them getting into France in the first place. When seeking asylum isn't it the rule that you apply in the first safe country you come to? So why are they crossing several European countries to get to UK? Could it be because they have heard about our comparitively generous benefits system?

Perhaps UK government could arrange for these camps to be leafleted (in various languages) explaining that coming to UK will not mean a free home and benefits.

I believe we should stop giving aid direct to the governments of many countries and instead it should be channeled through reputable charities with proven results in getting money to the people who need it most rather than it being side tracked by corrupt officials. If that happened perhaps more people who feel able to stay in their own country instead of risking so much to reach UK

HollyDaze Fri 24-Oct-14 14:15:50

coming to UK will not mean a free home and benefits.

That's pretty much the accusation that France has levelled at the UK - it has made the UK much too easy and attractive to migants and on the strength of that, France states that the UK should do a lot more to help with border control.

I also agree with your comment that maybe France could step up their other areas of border control where the immigrants are gaining access to France in the first place.

Joelise Fri 24-Oct-14 15:11:56

Absolutely HollyDaze . The Shengen agreement allows free movement within the E.U., these people are quite often coming in through from Italy & the French need to be much more rigorous on their borders with Italy. I don't think its unreasonable for the E.U. to put their hands in their pockets & finance the problem, especially as we are one of the biggest contributors to their coffers!

felice Sat 25-Oct-14 14:20:08

Speaking to young men here who are desperate to get to the Uk, I am regularily told that friends have told them they have great jobs, get a nice house furniture and one was bragging that his friends social worker had decided as he was at home all day he was entitled to a TV and games console, so he could integrate more easily into the Uk and to help his English.
I know very well a young man now in the UK, legally I might add, who is now desperate to go to the USA as the UK has not come up to his standards, he was living here with one friend in an apartment now he is sharing a bedroom with 3'friends' in a house with 15 other people.

perhaps the UK should be advertisisng all the down sides, it is not easy to get Money from the social services here, more likely to get food vouchers and hostel accommodation, and without a permanent address you cannot get an ID card so no legal job or rental agreement.
But then again the black economy mainly of passers through is almost destroying our economy. Which is why we pay some of the highest personal taxes in Europe.