Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sir Robin Knox-Johnson....

(13 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Sat 01-Nov-14 09:40:34

...was on the Today Programme exhorting us to leave our sofas and tellies, and get on and do something.

boat trip anyone?

glammanana Sat 01-Nov-14 09:49:07

My only up and coming boat trip jings is to Liverpool & back on The Mersey Ferry grin

Kiora Sat 01-Nov-14 10:48:03

Lucky you glammanana that little boat trip holds lots of wonderful happy memories for me. The view coming back into liverpool is wonderful....if the weather is kind.thlenvy

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 01-Nov-14 11:06:15

Yep! I'm thlenvy of that too. thlsmile

Better than my bike along the Thames towpath!

janeainsworth Sat 01-Nov-14 12:03:15

He's described in the article as 'the pensioner'........ aaaaaaagh!!

I don't know why that description grates, but it does. I don't mind being described as old, which I am, but 'pensioner' seems to have connotations of being dependent and on the scrap-heap of life, as in 'pensioned off'.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 01-Nov-14 13:21:37

Agree. hmm

hildajenniJ Sat 01-Nov-14 13:35:34

I take a boat trip every time I visit my DD and her family, it only takes about ten minutes to do the crossing but I've seen porpoises!!
She lives in Argyll and Bute.
After alighting from the ferry it is a one mile walk to her house, which is lovely in good weather. Not so nice when the rain is horizontal.

I'm not a "pensioner" either janea

I met a friend of mine yesterday whom I hadn't seen since I retired. She asked me how retirement is. I said I highly recommended it.

suevie34 Sat 01-Nov-14 14:59:00

Hmmm...'the pensioner' has a large team of people behind the scenes making his nautical jaunts possible...

I see next week channel 4 have a program called 'Why does my Granny have more fun than me?'

glammanana Sat 01-Nov-14 17:58:49

suevie I have marked it down on my planner to watch,just wondering what it will conjure up.
Kiora I think at the moment I will be sitting in the gallery area as the weather is not to bright these past few days.
Do you remember when The Ferry docked and the deck-hands used to drop the gangway it always just used to just miss knocking you out didn't it. lol.and it went down with such a bang.

Deedaa Sat 01-Nov-14 18:10:10

He looks very fit doesn't he? Could pass for 20 years younger compared with some of the men you see around. I imagine he hasn't spent much time on the sofa with a kebab and a can of lager thlgrin

rosequartz Sat 01-Nov-14 18:23:34

Well, if he's offering I'm game! grin

I wouldn't be much use with the sails but I could cook ........

Deedaa Sun 02-Nov-14 17:48:55

If only I could overcome my dislike of being stuck on a boat! hmm

Marmight Sun 02-Nov-14 18:02:45

Every monday I vow I will 'do' something exciting, but by tuesday I run out of ideas. My sailing days died the day that DH did but, like Rose I am game, although not so good in the gally ( ha,ha Gally). I prefer to be up on deck.........