Gransnet forums

News & politics

Dying to be cared for

(5 Posts)
grannyactivist Fri 28-Nov-14 13:07:30

The lack of resources for people suffering from mental ill health is once again in the news.www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30236927 The headline to this piece is: Seven mental health patients died waiting for beds.
Actually I am surprised the number is so low, but I also think it's the tip of the iceberg with very many patients only being admitted after failed suicide attempts or after their behaviour has become dangerous.
In London one head of an NHS Trust, after discovering that there were no mental health beds in London in either the NHS or private sector said, "I could not envisage a situation where all the acute beds in London were full and there was not even an investigation into the situation nor a plan of action."
The medical and nursing staff who have to cope with these shortfalls are now able to see only those patients who are very severely ill, with other patients fobbed off with minimal care or supervision - often leading to their conditions deteriorating to the point where they need emergency in-patient care........ which is not available.
I have tried not to, but I do despair when the relevant MP's response is:"We are going further than ever before to put mental health on a par with physical health." NO this is just not true. I wish he would spend just one full day in a local Community Mental Health office and see how every minute of the day resources are stretched to the point where all anyone can do is put a sticking plaster on the problems and pray they're not on duty when someone dies or is injured. Or on an acute mental health ward where staff are stressed and overwhelmed, leading to burnout and poor care. Many mental health workers are overworked and find themselves suffering the effects of stress, anxiety and depression through. sad angry

Mishap Fri 28-Nov-14 13:21:28

You are right - the situation is intolerable. In this area the services for mental health are virtually non-existent; and those there are have such a long wait that they may as well not exist. A friend of mine waited over a year for CBT and had moved to another part of the country by the time her came came up!

Mishap Fri 28-Nov-14 13:23:20

name - not came.

Jane10 Fri 28-Nov-14 14:50:44

Only 7 died while waiting for hospital admission? I suspect that countrywide its much more than this. Add to that the stress related illness suffered by families of these unfortunate people and even the , fortunately rare, tragedies of people murdered by mentally ill people needing treatment. It most certainly is the Cinderella service.

vampirequeen Fri 28-Nov-14 15:48:55

Mental health has always been the poor relation in the NHS. It's not a 'popular' illness like cancer or heart problems. A lot of people think that mental health issues are either a sign of weakness in the sufferer or something to be scared of and the sufferer should be locked in a secure unit. Until people realise that mental health issues are 'real' illnesses it will always be underfunded.