Gransnet forums

News & politics

Hostage Siege in Sydney

(54 Posts)
POGS Mon 15-Dec-14 00:13:57

I can't believe how scared the poor souls are at the moment being held hostage by 'perceived' ISIS sympathiser/sympathisers. The only knowledge at the moment is a black flag with white Arabic writing on it is being displayed by a person/persons with a gun.

Up to 20 people are being held hostage in a Lindt chocolate cafe and heaven knows how frightened they must be knowing the depths such people will go to .

I hope events don't take a turn for the worse, it could easily go belly up.

What a world!

Gracesgran Mon 15-Dec-14 00:43:30

My son and family are due to leave from Sydney airport later today. There is no reason, absolutely none, why they should have gone into Sydney itself but I am amazingly terrified. Looking at what we can see of those poor people - dreadful.

The trains aren't running and they have closed a lot of the area round the café. Currently they are saying their is one gunman. Is that better than more? I don't know if it makes a difference.

I know it is selfish but I can't believe this has happened now.

Humbertbear Mon 15-Dec-14 01:03:29

On the 1.00am news they said at least two gun men. I hope your family is safe.

Gracesgran Mon 15-Dec-14 01:14:39

Just had a phone call from my son Humberbear. His office is very close to this café so you can imagine how my imagination was running.

I am going to bed now as he will ring me so I can pass the messages on to everyone. I just can't imagine what those poor people are going through.

Humbertbear Mon 15-Dec-14 01:30:40

I am pleased he is ok. The BBC has set up a 'live' page on their website where people can get the latest news. Sleep well. You will see them soon.

Gracesgran Mon 15-Dec-14 08:09:46

Thank you for your kind words Humbertbear. Awake again now and had a couple of emails so all well so far. I just want to hear they are on their way.

Five more of the hostages have escaped and all is still as calm as it can be in the circumstances.

From my personal point of view the airport seems to be operating as normal although the airspace over this district has been closed.

It was so nice someone was there at the late night point smile. Thank you

Brendawymms Mon 15-Dec-14 08:51:31

Apparently the flag they are displaying is not the ISIS flag. The words on it are the same as on the Saudi flag.

I also think that these attacks should have a news blackout to starve them of the oxygen of publicity.

Marmight Mon 15-Dec-14 08:53:47

My son in law was in 'lock down' his office just round the corner. They were allowed out at about 3am our time much to my daughter's relief and is now safely home thankfully.

Gracesgran Mon 15-Dec-14 08:57:19

It is not the ISIS flag Brendawymms but it is an Islamic one. It has actually been picked up in Australia for not being the Islamic State flag. Let's not make it any worse than it actually is.

I think the reporting has been very measured and the police seem to have all the control they need and are acting very professionally. The person (or persons) holding the hostages is not getting the publicity he wants as his phone calls to local stations, etc., have not been put on air.

whenim64 Mon 15-Dec-14 09:07:16

It seems some hostages have their mobiles and have been uodating on Twitter. I hope this is ended with no-one hurt. It appears the authorities have swung into action quickly and are controlling the situation well so far.

POGS Mon 15-Dec-14 09:27:57

I was glad to wake up this morning to find the situation had not deteriorated overnight.

Certainly pleased to see 5 people safely out.

KatyK Mon 15-Dec-14 10:00:30

Gracesnan - Glad your family are safe. My friend's daughter was working in the centre of New York when the twin towers were attacked. We were working in the same office and the fear and panic that she went through were awful. Thankfully her daughter was safe but saw some terrible things. She couldn't get back to her apartment and someone kindly took her in until she was able to get back. Poor girl had to have counselling. Let's hope no one is hurt in this one.

suevie34 Mon 15-Dec-14 12:52:30

My daughter was also in lock-down in her office. She messaged me in the middle of the night and I have to admit to feeling panic (she survived brain aneurysm surgery at Sydney's Royal North Shore Hospital last year) thinking it so unlucky to end up at the mercy of ?ISIS after last years scare. She was able to leave her building eventually and a friend drove her back home up the coast. Her 12 year old would never have coped if she'd been unable to get away.

This has made feel very nervous today...been trying to get a GP appointment for 2 weeks, still haven't got one. After a 50 year nursing career I'm only too aware of the implications of a growing lump in my neck, it needs to be seen. Apparently if I phone the surgery at 8 tomorrow morning I might get an appointment for Thursday.

Re Sydney, I have a lot of respect for the NSW police, they'll be doing all they can for a safe resolution. According to my daughter Sydney has been expecting something to happen. Her building has had heightened security on the entrances for some time.

My thoughts and prayers are for the hostages and their families.

Mishap Mon 15-Dec-14 12:58:52

I had not listened to the news and knew nothing of it. I don't think I will listen - it is too dreadful for words.

I cannot tell you how relieved I am that those of you with offspring in the area have had good news that they are well. Thank goodness for that.

What a sad old world it an be - and all so unnecessary and pointless.

merlotgran Mon 15-Dec-14 13:19:32

I hope cities around the world stay alert. Especially those with a Christian population.

Watching the news, thinking of those involved and praying for a positive outcome.

Anya Mon 15-Dec-14 13:53:57

Gracesnan thank goodness your family is safe. You must have been so worried.
Let's hope no one is hurt.

Agus Mon 15-Dec-14 14:37:02

I am relieved to hear your families are safe. What a nerve-wracking time you must have gone through 'til you heard from them.

Faye Mon 15-Dec-14 15:18:51

The police have stormed the cafe, I hope those people are okay.

Gracesgran Mon 15-Dec-14 16:37:07

Marmight. suevie34 doesn't it suddenly seem like a very small world. My worry with anything like this is how the victims get over this.

Thank you for your kind words about my little Aussie family and I hope everyone who has any connection with this lovely city is able to make contact quickly and reassure themselves that loved ones are OK.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 15-Dec-14 17:03:21

suevie34 walk into your doctor's surgery and demand to be seen. Say you will wait until someone fits you in. You can't have that hanging over you. It's just not right

It might well be nothing to worry about. But you are entitled to quick attention. flowers

Tegan Mon 15-Dec-14 17:11:22

Or phone up 111 [or whatever the number is now] and ask for advice, pointing out to them that you have been unable to get an appointment with your GP. Make a note of the date and time and who you spoke to. At least it will then be on record that your GP wouldn't give you an appointment and you can refer back to it if you throw the book at them at a later date [at the same time I hope that you won't need to throw the book at them and that it's nothing to worry about].

suevie34 Mon 15-Dec-14 17:33:17

Thanks jinglebells and Tegan. If I don't get anywhere tomorrow I will take the next step. You are right, I'm entitled quick attention smile

Glad the Sydney siege is over, at the moment don't know if there are serious casualties.

Faye Mon 15-Dec-14 18:03:45

Apparently at least one hostage is dead plus the gunman. sad

Gracesgran Mon 15-Dec-14 18:08:28

Dreadful but I suppose it could have been worse.

I am just (words fail me) for the family of that poor person. They just went to work yesterday morning ...

Gracesgran Mon 15-Dec-14 18:29:20

Sorry. I seem to have been very close to tears all day. DS and family - one six and a half and one four and my beautiful and lovely DIL were meant to come in the summer but they had to stay and deal with a very difficult business problem. I was devastated then as I hadn't seen them for three years but all day I have wanted to say to someone, anyone - I thought they wouldn't come. I did, I really did.

Every year DS sends a link to all of us back here. The same one, he has believed in family tradition since he was about four or five smile. It may not be everyone's cup of tea (it's a bit rude about the Catholic Church well, all churches really) but it is a lovely view of Christmas from an Australian point of view although, as he flagged up that they were actually leaving, his words were "put the kettle on Yorkshire".smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCNvZqpa-7Q&feature=youtu.be