Gransnet forums

News & politics

IS threaten to execute 2 japanese hostages.

(19 Posts)
POGS Tue 20-Jan-15 10:11:20

IS has threatened to execute 2 Japanese hostages unless the Japanese government pay a 200 million dollar ransom. The Japanese government said the threat is unforgivable and has 'indicated' it will not pay 'thus far'. They have put a time limit of 72 hours before the execution.

It was on a video and it is said to be Jihadi John speaking again.

The more countries it attacks perhaps the more the heads of states worldwide might reflect it is not IS against a few countries and keep out of the fight, it could be their country next. It is a case of IS wanting to dominate the world and doesn't care what colour you are, what your religion is, nor where your country is .

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 20-Jan-15 10:27:20

The Japanese have vowed never to enter another war again. Wonder if this will make them think again?

POGS Sat 24-Jan-15 18:13:29

I appreciate only jings posted so I don't expect a response from any other poster but I just wanted to say I am very sad one of these poor men has been executed.

Japan is now well and truly caught up in the barbaric world of IS.

Mishap Sat 24-Jan-15 18:19:45

Yes - it is sad indeed. And sickening.

I understand that the level of the ransom was related to the sum that Japan has committed to the fight against ISIS.

loopylou Sat 24-Jan-15 19:58:02

It seems that the rest of the world is impotent against these depraved barbarians. I can not see how this will ever end, I despair and feel so sad for the innocent individuals caught up in this.

Iam64 Sun 25-Jan-15 09:52:02

This post only arrived this morning Pogs - I agree with you and everyone else, barbaric, terrifying group and where will it all end?

I was relieved the UK didn't become directly involved with the war in Syria as previous wars in that region have not helped anyone so far as I can see. IS remind me of the Nazi's - our way or the high way, we'll kill anyone who stands in our way. I wish I had something more constructive to add

soontobe Sun 25-Jan-15 09:57:25

But is this then going to be the result.
Regular beheadings happening in most countries of the world?
Are they then free to try to kill indiscriminately, whenever and wherever they want?

soontobe Sun 25-Jan-15 10:06:23

Not saying that I agree with a war in Syria by the way.
I dont know enough about it.

absent Sun 25-Jan-15 18:24:23

The IS beheadings are not "in most countries of the world" but the victims have been of different nationalities.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 25-Jan-15 19:28:51

It is so sad. Makes you despair. And hate.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 25-Jan-15 19:30:56

It practically happened in our country absent. And it was probably supposed to happen in France.

God help the world.

Tegan Sun 25-Jan-15 19:51:06

Iam; I was watching that programme on Ch 4 last night about the film made of the concentration camps that has only recently been completed by the National War Museum and, as I was watching it I thought how, at that time and in the intervening years no one would have dreamt that people could have equalled and even surpassed that cruelty sad.

POGS Sun 01-Feb-15 01:20:24

So the second japanese hostage is confirmed to be dead. Just simply sad.. Cowardly b-------s

I feel so very sorry for their families but I also feel very sad for the politicians who have to make the judgement call and decision how/when/yes/no to act. If you think being in government is easy think again.

Mishap Sun 01-Feb-15 10:07:23

Very sad indeed. My heart goes out to his wife and two young children.

How do we fight this thing? These people are so fanatical and believe they have god on their side. There is no arguing or reasoning with them.

Let us hope that we can resist the temptation to stoop to their level in our repsonses.

merlotgran Sun 01-Feb-15 10:17:40

There was a debate on the radio the other day about whether denying them the oxygen of publicity would be a step in the right direction. Hard to say.

Iam64 Sun 01-Feb-15 12:48:31

The Nazi's were denied the oxygen of publicity as information about the concentration camps was sparse and understandably, many people simply didn't believe ordinary human beings could behave with such brutality and inhumanity. it could be argued that this gave them time to continue with the master plan of wiping out the Jews, the Roma gypsies, people with disabilities, and indeed, anyone who disagreed with them. Very like IS it seems to me.

The murder of another innocent Japanese hostage is unforgivable but I am relieved the Japanese government didn't pay the ransom. Starve IS of money, that'll slow them down a bit

nigglynellie Sun 01-Feb-15 12:58:00

I don't say much for the chances of the Jordanian pilot. What you do about these terrible people and how you do it is quite beyond me. It's so hard to comprehend such evil, but then it was 70 years ago. I just don't know, it's just so dreadful.

Mishap Sun 01-Feb-15 12:59:57

Each era seems to have its own evil to contend with. There does not seem to be any way of eliminating this evil flaw in humanity.

nigglynellie Sun 01-Feb-15 13:27:26

How strange human beings are, sometimes capable of so much good and humanity, and at others, so much evil and barbarity. It is an extraordinary mix and it would seem that each generation has its fair share of both.