Gransnet forums

News & politics

Mirror Group Phone Hacking Scandal

(5 Posts)
POGS Tue 03-Mar-15 20:14:10

So now it's confirmed that the Mirror Group have been prolific phone hackers will we see them hounded by their peers and the public and their journalists imprisoned, they damn well ought to, even if it is for their blatant hypocricy !

The sight of the likes of Sly Bailey uttering her 'not us at the Mirror guv' at the Leveson Inquiry and the odious Kevin Maguire spouting his equally annoying diatribe of blame against the Murdoch press has at last become proven to be pure hypocricy.

A Mirror reporter is said to have hacked phones at least a 100 times a day and it makes the News of the World phone hacking look like a cottage industry. Whether that is true or not I want to know why and how one group of newspapers has been treated without the due diligence another newspaper group has, I won't hold my breath , too many friends I guess.

durhamjen Tue 03-Mar-15 21:24:32

www.independent.co.uk/news/media/press/government-favoured-rupert-murdochs-media-empire-says-outgoing-ofcom-chief-9947518.html

POGS Tue 03-Mar-15 22:00:54

durhamjen

So no comment on the Mirror Group phone hacking then!

I believe your link takes us to Ed Richards who was due to end his role as Chief Executive of OFCOM on a salary of £381.000, he applied for the job of BBC Director General, which we now know he did not get. I think I have that right.

Ed Richards was a consummate left wing commentator having been a Senior Policy Advisor to Tony Blair. He was a former Controller of Corporate Strategy at the bastion of political impartiality, not, commonly known as the BBC. Oh yes and he was an advisor to one Gordon Brown.

I think I will put him squarely in the camp of being a left wing protagonist who is/was perfectly capable of dishing it out to Murdoch but will happily live in denial of any possible wrong doing when it came to the Mirror Group. Didn't he speak at Leveson also?

I dare say Leveson will not be of interest to anybody now but it should be and I ask again why has there not been the same scrutiny by the police and media coverage for the Mirror Group as there was for the Sun and NOTW?

durhamjen Tue 03-Mar-15 22:23:49

And you read all that on Wikipedia.

The newspapers won in their watering down of Leveson. It just shows the power of the owners, most of whom are nondoms.
Of course Mirror group should go to court, and I hope the right people are sent to prison this time.

I notice that saint Rebecca has been given a new job by Murdoch, for protecting him.

POGS Tue 03-Mar-15 22:34:19

I take some of what I said back.

The BBC News has just a reasonable piece on the Mirror Phone Hacking and showed a clip of Sly Bailey at Leveson.

Yes durhamjen I did read up bits on Wiki but I also knew he was strongly connected to Labour, I would suspect you were well aware of that too when you put your link up!

Coming from somebody who quotes 'Hansard' and repeatedly puts links up I don't see what the issue is for another poster to use wiki, other than sarcasm what point were you trying to make.

I'm glad you agree that the Mirror Group should be taken to court and if need be 'prison time' would be given.