Gransnet forums

News & politics

Armed police on the M62

(14 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 01-Apr-15 07:57:33

Yesterday we were trapped on the M62 car park for over three hours. There was a white mini a couple of cars behind us. We first noticed the police as they slowly came up the hard shoulder but we didn't think anything of it as we assumed they were on their way to the Ouse Bridge where a lorry had overturned. But they hadn't done that. At some point, hidden by the big wagons they'd stopped. The officers had spread out. Suddenly and very quietly they surrounded the white mini and arrested the occupants. We saw them being handcuffed and taken to the hard shoulder. One of the officers walked past us. It was really weird to see a British police officer with a pistol in a holster and a taser attached to his body armour.

Last night we looked for the report in the local paper but there wasn't one. Well I couldn't leave it at that. Three hours to travel half a mile gives you plenty of time to speculate. So this morning I rang the local paper to ask about it. They didn't know it had happened but were keen to contact the police news office later today. They've promised to phone me back to tell me what it was about.....if they can find out.

kittylester Wed 01-Apr-15 08:20:39

Let us know vs! It makes feel really weird when unmarked cars go like the flipping clappers up the motorway so you must have been quite scared! brew

TriciaF Wed 01-Apr-15 08:56:05

Interesting! We used the M62 a lot when we lived in Hull and know it quite well.
Which direction had the white Mini come from - Manchester or Hull?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 01-Apr-15 09:15:12

Maybe these things go on quietly all the time. Who knows? It might not have been deemed newsworthy to whoever decides.

Must have livened up a miserable journey though!

loopylou Wed 01-Apr-15 11:25:43

Doesn't do my heart any good when an unmarked police car suddenly sets off its sirens and lights behind me whilst sitting at the traffic lights tbushock
Don't know where he thought I was going to go, levitation instructions not included in car handbook......

crun Wed 01-Apr-15 15:34:46

I preferred it when they used to leave their sirens running, that way you could hear them coming, and plan where to pull over. Nowadays, they creep up behind you and switch the siren on when there's nowhere for you to go.

What annoys me is the drivers who step on the brakes the instant they see a blue light in the mirror, so that they're forced to a standstill until the oncoming traffic clears, only for the same to happen with the next car a few yards further up the road.

AshTree Wed 01-Apr-15 15:45:25

I've crossed a red light on more than one occasion to allow a police car / ambulance through - just moved forward maybe a car's length and over to the left or right to make space - I haven't actually driven across any junction. But I have read of people being booked for doing this. There is no common sense anymore - there's no way I could just sit in front of an ambulance that maybe desperate to get to someone having a heart attack, when i can safely make space for them to get through.

loopylou Wed 01-Apr-15 15:50:30

I agree crun, I was stuck behind an artic, bus to left and lorry to the right about 50 yards from the lights. Short of levitation zilch I could do!

AshTree Wed 01-Apr-15 16:06:18

At least it's only happened to me when I've been first in the queue at the lights, so I could make that decision. If you're way back behind other stuff, then forget it - the police should have given more warning as they drove towards the traffic queue, so people could take avoiding action. To just creep up behind you and expect you to move is plain daft.

Nonnie Wed 01-Apr-15 16:13:39

A couple of months ago we were stopped at the lights with an ambulance coming towards us blues and twos going strong. All except one car got out of their way and then we heard a different, really loud noise, which made him move. I didn't know they had that facility but thought it was great.

Last week we were on the M4 and a car in front was weaving all over the road, it was so scary we didn't dare overtake. Indicators would go on and off and had no relation to whichever way the car was going. I called the police who were very understanding and assume they came out but about a mile further on he started driving normally. I just wonder if he was on his phone when he scared us.

harrigran Wed 01-Apr-15 19:39:29

Isn't it annoying when you see things and never find out why and what for ? There have been several arrests in our street, people led away in handcuffs but nobody knows why, they are not inquisitive enough round here.

Juliette Wed 01-Apr-15 19:56:50

We don't have that problem harrigran we have a neighbour across the road who knows all the ins and outs of our small avenue and beyond.
We call her Jodrell Bank. grin

janerowena Wed 01-Apr-15 21:48:32

There were three police helicopters hovering just to the right of the M11 as we drove home on Thursday night, near Duxworth, to the north of it. A whole fleet of police cars passed us going the other way, and a there were more behind them slowing the traffic. I have searched the internet but can find nothing - so exasperating, I agree!

durhamjen Thu 02-Apr-15 00:15:21

Convicted murderer on the run, vampire?