Gransnet forums

News & politics

It takes all sorts......

(70 Posts)
merlotgran Tue 21-Apr-15 18:05:20

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3048903/The-countdown-begins-Police-complete-final-security-checks-outside-Lindo-Wing-watched-flag-waving-royal-superfans.html

Potty people make me smile smile

ginny Tue 21-Apr-15 18:24:12

Laugh or cry ? I don't know why any one would be there for days on end. What are they actually thinking they will see. ? I suppose they have nothing else to do with their time.

GrannyTwice Tue 21-Apr-15 19:06:27

Well I suspect a Tory plot to have the baby born just before Election Day to boost the feel good factor and increase their vote grin

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 21-Apr-15 19:21:30

I think it's sweet. I bet they're having great fun. Especially with the nice weather. smile

GrannyTwice Tue 21-Apr-15 19:28:29

If it goes on until 7 May, do you think they will leave to vote? <muses> Perhaps they've arranged a postal vote? < sudden horrified thought> they have a vote? shock

rosequartz Tue 21-Apr-15 20:16:40

GT I always have a suspicion that HM would vote Labour if she could grin
No pun intended of course

Babies come when they choose (unless it's a caesarian of course!! or induced!!)

rosequartz Tue 21-Apr-15 20:18:33

I hope it isn't Saturday.

That would be very inconsiderate of Princess Alice Elizabeth Matilda to arrive on Gallipoli Day.
She would have to be Princess Matilda Alice Elizabeth then wink

sunseeker Tue 21-Apr-15 20:30:17

Why make snide comments about people - are they hurting you by doing something they enjoy? Not something I would do but it is still a free country

pompa Tue 21-Apr-15 20:34:43

This is what us Brits are good at, being eccentric, good luck to them, hope the weather holds and they don't have to wait too long.

Parcs Tue 21-Apr-15 21:16:06

I really do not understand this but if it makes them happy, who am I to judgesmile

merlotgran Tue 21-Apr-15 21:17:47

I don't think anybody is judging.

ninathenana Tue 21-Apr-15 23:34:24

As ginny said what do they think they're going to see It's great we live in a free country, it keeps people like these happy grin

absent Wed 22-Apr-15 07:02:28

I guess it's better than strewing cellophane-wrapped flowers and teddy bears – why teddy bears – outside Kensington Palace, but it does make one wonder.

Iam64 Wed 22-Apr-15 08:31:34

why raise the spectre of Diana's death again absent? This seems to have been a non judgemental, jolly thread that acknowledges the eccentricity of Brits.

Whatever people's views on the way in which the public responded to the death of Diana, she would have been the grandmother of William and Kate's baby. Tragic for all of them that she died so young.

absent Wed 22-Apr-15 08:59:02

Give me a break. We were discussing excessive displays of affection/fandom/adoration of the royal family, Iam64. What's more, I am sure the red tops will have plenty to say about how Diana would have responded to the new Cambridge baby. Members of the public hanging around Kensington Palace and hanging around the Lindo Wing is much the same thing – and really rather sad in my opinion.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 22-Apr-15 09:09:59

I think there might be a bit of difference between waiting to welcome a new baby, and mourning a sad death! (Neither of which I can see anything wrong with)

I bet you're glad you're out of this daft old country, eh absent? grin

TriciaF Wed 22-Apr-15 09:51:52

Perhaps some of them have bets on as to whether it's a boy or a girl, and what the name is. They want to be first to know wink

merlotgran Wed 22-Apr-15 09:57:43

Unless they hide in a laundry basket in the corner of the maternity suite I don't see how they can possibly know before the rest of us who will be glued to the TV watching a door opening and closing. hmm

merlotgran Wed 22-Apr-15 09:58:52

Apparently Carole Middleton is already in the starting blocks to be the first visitor. Charles and Camilla?......They've gone to Balmoral. grin

rosequartz Wed 22-Apr-15 10:04:46

Good for her! I rushed to the hospital to see DD and newly arrived DGS only to find the PIL already there - MIL looking smug because she had 'beaten me to it'.

Tegan Wed 22-Apr-15 10:05:40

It almost smacks of history when the queen had to have lots of people around just in case they sneaked in another [non royal] baby! [err. what do these people do for a loo or are there lots of public lavvys nearby; apologies for lowering the tone but knowing where the loos are are always high priority with me blush]...

rosequartz Wed 22-Apr-15 10:20:25

You could lose your place at the front couldn't you hmm

GrannyTwice Wed 22-Apr-15 10:29:25

Gillybob is suspiciously absent on this thread - has anyone seen her on TV in the queue ?

Eloethan Wed 22-Apr-15 10:56:10

I think it's sad when people spend so much time and effort on a family that they don't know and who doesn't know them.

nonnanna Wed 22-Apr-15 12:08:14

Presumably it's to do with soaking up the atmosphere and/or getting seen on TV. Personally I'd sooner stay at home, knowing where the loo is Tegan
and maybe catch the event on the news if I happen to have the radio on or walk past the telly at the appropriate time. Definitely eccentric.