Gransnet forums

News & politics

Krill fishing in the Antarctic

(19 Posts)
Nelliemoser Sat 23-May-15 12:10:15

I find this frightening.
The whole ecosystem of the Antarctic depends on the Krill supply and it is being so heavily mined that we are at risk of damaging this system if there are a couple of bad years in the supply.

They are catching Krill to feed as fish meal to feed farm animals. There is great deal of doubt about how reliable the supply of Krill is it appears to very greatly from season to season.

We managed to nearly destroy the cod fishing in the Grand Banks. After 30 yrs this is just beginning to recover.

There is a petition here suggesting Sainsbury's stop selling this product. For those interested in signing

action.sumofus.org/a/sainsburys-krill/?sub=homepage

The details
www.antarctica.ac.uk/documents/presentations/sustainability_of_antarctic_krill.pdf

whenim64 Sat 23-May-15 12:18:39

i signed a few days ago and read an update reporting that Sainsbury's maintain they use a 'sustainable source' which has been challenged as a complete lie.

durhamjen Sat 23-May-15 12:26:25

Signed it a while ago.
I do not understand what a sustainable source of krill means. Does it mean they grow it themselves in big tanks?

durhamjen Sat 23-May-15 12:31:01

The article says there is no universally acceptable definition of sustainability. What a surprise.

Tegan Sat 23-May-15 13:07:21

When the eventually start drilling for oil there and there's an accident it'll probably all be wiped out anyway sad. When will we, as supposedly the most intelligent life form on the planet not realise that we are totally dependant on the lowest forms of life?

durhamjen Sat 23-May-15 13:12:38

Could be a contest as to which is wiped out first, bees or krill. It'll be another case of how did that happen.

Tegan Sat 23-May-15 13:23:47

Not to mention the lowly earth worm; we'd be in trouble if he disapeared.

Deedaa Sun 24-May-15 22:16:33

It's the 21st Century, in theory people are better educated than ever before and have a massive range of technology at their fingertips - and yet these things still happen and anyone who disagrees is jeered at as a tree hugging hippy! God knows what will ever make people in power round the world see sense. Can you imagine trying to have a meaningful conversation about krill with Putin?

thatbags Mon 25-May-15 05:49:19

In answer to the question about sustainable krill supplies, I think it might mean farming our own, if such a thing is possible. Fish farming took off when it became more difficult to catch fish in the wild. That is what farming is: a more reliable way of producing food than hunting and gathering. We've been doing it for a long time.

Tegan Mon 25-May-15 11:53:34

But we contain farmed fish in small areas; farming krill would involve having a spare ocean [or two].

durhamjen Thu 27-Aug-15 10:26:49

sumofus.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Sainsburysletter.pdf

A letter for people to take to their local Sainsbury's, as they are ignoring the 70,000 customers who have signed the petition to ask them to stop selling krill oil.

whitewave Thu 27-Aug-15 10:30:38

I think that one day the natural world will suddenly wake up to what we are doing and take its revenge. Nobody has given a single one of us permission to do what we are doing. As a species we are the worse thing that happened to the world.

durhamjen Thu 27-Aug-15 10:38:20

I bet the despoilers have got their bunkers ready, just in case, whitewave.

nigglynellie Thu 27-Aug-15 10:47:44

Undoubtedly I would never agree with you ladies on the political front, nor would I seek to do so, but on this issue I am wholeheartedly in absolute agreement. I saw a programme some time ago about the harvesting of krill in the Antarctic, and was horrified at the enormity of the catches, and the obvious devastation this is undoubtedly causing to the whales that rely on this as a food source. I actually tackled the manager of our local Sainsbury's, who of course came out with a 'pat' reply, about sustainability, which, as I pointed out is complete nonsense as that's virtually impossible, without actually factory farming krill! More usual waffle, and that was that!
I signed a petition recently about extreme cruelty meted out to temple elephants in the sun continent, have done so with krill, dolphins in Japan, dogs and cats in China, bull fighting and so, the list is depressingly endless. Human beings at times, are just shocking to the fellow occupants of this planet.

whitewave Thu 27-Aug-15 10:47:49

Undoubtedly but it won't work.

durhamjen Thu 27-Aug-15 10:49:57

They'd need them to be very watertight for a long time, wouldn't they?

whitewave Thu 27-Aug-15 10:50:52

I get beyond depressed when I think of it all.

Welshwife Thu 27-Aug-15 11:33:04

When fish are farmed they are frequently fed on food which is not the same as they would eat in a natural environment - such as salmon which are fed a fatty diet and causes the big sections of fat within the fish - also it is then a much paler colour than the wild sea salmon - but that is getting increasing difficult to find in the shops.
If they do find out how to successfully farm krill you can bet it will be fed the in the cheapest possible way no matter what it might do to species further up the food chain. All goes back to profits.

Tresco Fri 28-Aug-15 00:03:18

I am not sure how you would farm krill, but I do know that one of the problems caused by farming salmon is an increase in pests and diseases that can spread to the wild population. Some restaurants in Vancouver are signed up to a scheme to only use wild salmon, and the conservationists on the whale watching boats ask tourists not to eat farmed salmon. However, it is vital that the wild salmon fishing is sustainable and also leaves enough for the killer whales, some of which live exclusively on salmon.