Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does Germaine Greer have a point?

(27 Posts)
merlotgran Sun 24-May-15 20:38:20

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3095268/Germaine-Greer-slams-Elton-John-husband-David-Furnish-named-mother-birth-certificates-two-sons.html

I think she does. The boys have a biological mother. Why can't they have two fathers?

Ana Sun 24-May-15 20:46:10

I think it's wrong to name a man as the mother of a child. A mother is by definition a woman.

thatbags Sun 24-May-15 20:46:50

Can't say I cared that much about my discarded eggs, you know, the ones that just flushed themselves out on a fairly regular basis all through my reproductive years.

I don't agree that the concept of motherhood has been deconstructed. I don't think it could be by a man simply calling himself a mother. Being a mother is more than a name, more than just a concept.

thatbags Sun 24-May-15 20:48:38

Don't get me wrong, all three of my children came from good eggs, but all the other eggs were just unfertilised eggs, like the chicken eggs we eat. Silly to get emotional about them.

thatbags Sun 24-May-15 20:50:04

I think it would be better to say the kids have two adoptive parents who are both men. Straight facts and no nonsense about concepts being deconstructed.

thatbags Sun 24-May-15 20:51:30

So, yes, she has a point but I think her expression of it is a bit OTT.

whenim64 Sun 24-May-15 21:07:32

Germaine Greer is missing the point. About time the forms were adjusted to allow for these circumstances. In the end, it's about who the legal parents are - two dads who both need space on the forms. No-one needs to kick up a fuss about eggs until they are fertilised, viable and likely to be born.

mcem Sun 24-May-15 21:12:43

Agree that calling him mother is inappropriate. Why not register both as fathers?
I noticed as we completed passport applications for 2 little DGs that details are requested for first parent and second parent. Seemed ok to me.

merlotgran Sun 24-May-15 21:20:34

Yes. I think adjusting the forms would be the answer as when says.

Soutra Sun 24-May-15 21:27:01

A friend's daughter has a child whom she had by (I assume ) artificial insemination while she was in a lesbian partnership so her daughter knows them both as "mummies", not one mummy and one daddy.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-May-15 22:08:37

Isn't that falsifying an official document? There's no way that Furnish can be the 'Mother'. Weird. hmm

Deedaa Sun 24-May-15 22:10:39

This is surely complicated by the fact that an egg donor is involved, so who would you put as the "biological" mother? I think the first parent and second parent idea would be ideal.

By the way they look like dear little boys!

AshTree Sun 24-May-15 22:15:43

There is no requirement to register a biological mother, is there? The law is only concerned with who the parents are, and they're Elton John and David Furnish in this case. Easily solved by the forms being brought into line with the legal position in the UK which allows same sex marriage and IVF babies by donor egg and/or sperm. Either two fathers on the form, or simply 'Parent (a) and Parent (b)'.

rubylady Sun 24-May-15 22:25:49

Surely your birth certificate is about who you are constructed out of, you genes. In this case then the mother should have been named. Maybe there should be space on the certificate for more than two parents, but going off genes then still a baby can only be made out of one man and one woman. And the child has a right to know who it is made up of, regardless of who is bringing that child up. Maybe an adoption certificate does that job, not the birth certificate.

Ana Sun 24-May-15 22:26:17

www.gov.uk/register-birth/who-can-register-a-birth

Presumably Elton John and David Furnish obtained a parental order from the Court before registering their children.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-May-15 22:35:57

Will they be able to trace their donor mother when they are eighteen? Isn't that the law now? Or is that only sperm donors? confused

GrannyTwice Sun 24-May-15 22:39:13

Years before IVF was possible, there was AID. The donor was usually anonymous but the husband of the mother was allowed by law to be named as the father on the birth certificate. Birth certificates have always had a proportion of them which were wishful thinking/ deliberately misleading or otherwise nothing to do with telling the full genetic story.

merlotgran Sun 24-May-15 22:39:53

I gather Elton and David are friends with the biological mother in a sisterly sort of way so surely the children will already have contact with her but goodness knows what their understanding will be.

Ana Sun 24-May-15 22:41:42

Yes, it's all very complicated. Sad for the children if they do wish they could track their ancestry in later years.

absent Sun 24-May-15 23:07:39

Elton John has always been a bit silly, Germaine Greer has always been a bit intense and, quite obviously, David Furnish is not a mother.

janeainsworth Sun 24-May-15 23:21:36

She also said according to the article that the 1967 Abortion Act was only brought into help the 'fertility industry'. Nothing to do with stopping women suffering the dreadful effects of insanitary, illegal abortions in the back streets, oviously, Germaine.
I think she's losing the plot.
I'm going to start another thread about her tiff with Jane Fonda, don't want to derail this one.

merlotgran Sun 24-May-15 23:25:21

Feel free to stick it on here janea.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-May-15 23:34:03

Yes. I couldn't get my head round that bit - about the Abortion Act. confused

janeainsworth Sun 24-May-15 23:34:33

Thanks Merlot but already done it. grin
As you were everyone smile

Nelliemoser Mon 25-May-15 00:28:59

What happens when/if those boys want to know who their genetic mother was?
Am I right in thinking these boys were born to the surrogate by a third party egg doner?

Were these boy's births registered here or in the USA?

Have these boys been officially adopted by DF & EJ as a couple are they the father of one each?
I do wonder how this works legally.