Gransnet forums

News & politics

What a difficult decision to make.

(104 Posts)
NanKate Tue 26-May-15 11:49:30

Businessman Jeffrey Spector went with his family recently to Dignitas in Switzerland to end his life.

He had an inoperable tumour on his spine which would leave him paralysed from the neck down.

He had survived for 6 years but had recently gone into a decline and made the decision that this was the time to go. His brave family supported him.

How desperately sad. I admire him for this courage. RIP. flowers

GrannyTwice Tue 26-May-15 12:00:10

But what a pity he wasnt allowed to do it here.

Ana Tue 26-May-15 12:12:05

Yes, I agree!

Eloethan Tue 26-May-15 12:54:50

Yes, so do I. Also, some people in a similar situation might not even have the Dignitas choice if they are unable to afford to travel abroad and to use this service.

thatbags Tue 26-May-15 13:04:52

It is a disgrace that people cannot choose safe and dignified assisted death in the UK.

Iam64 Tue 26-May-15 13:17:13

Yes, another post in agreement with the comments above, that it is a great pity this brave man and his loving family had to travel abroad in order to support his final wishes.

GrannyTwice Tue 26-May-15 13:56:53

Another point is that if they could do it here they might be able to live for longer as they wouldn't have to worry about being able to travel. I heard Charlie Faulkener on World at One - I agree with every word he said and I thought the medic just didn't 'get it' Are those if you in favour, members of Dignity in Dying?

ninathenana Tue 26-May-15 16:33:11

Agreed 100%

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 26-May-15 16:45:12

What about the argument that some very ill or very old people could feel "encouraged" to visit such places?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 26-May-15 16:46:06

I mean by their relatives. To whom they may have become a burden.

loopylou Tue 26-May-15 16:53:07

Is there any evidence that that is happening jingl?

I certainly think that when the only option is traveling to Switzerland then the person involved will have carefully thought it through and most cases I've read about have been supported by their family and none have been coerced.

Were the option to be available here then, as GrannyTwice says the worry about being or not being well enough to travel would be alleviated.

If it's not an option on grounds of cost or being too ill then it must be dreadful for the individual.

Very brave people to do this.

GillT57 Tue 26-May-15 16:56:28

The report on Radio 4 today was tastefully and respectfully done I thought, and a a neighbour of the man was interviewed and said what a lovely friendly and chatty man he was, which somehow made it more awful, more personal, more a feeling of the man himself, not just an ill man.. This was a Father, husband, son, friend, colleague who had to die too soon in order to be able to control his own death, sad in every way for his family and friends and for those thousands of people in the same situation.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 26-May-15 17:15:55

I don't know loopylou. It's an argument often put forward by the anti euthanasia people. I would imagine not all old or very ill people are kindly, well loved, individuals.

Ana Tue 26-May-15 17:20:56

Well, if they're unloved and cantankerous they're not likely to be 'persuaded' to end their lives by greedy relatives.

GrannyTwice Tue 26-May-15 17:23:08

I'm not wanting to be flippant but if you did have an unkind, unloving family who made you feel a burden, who didn't treat with you love and care, then I can imagine you would perhaps want to be able to choose to die.

soontobe Tue 26-May-15 17:35:44

Sometimes they are the most stubborn sort. They may feel like it, but wouldnt do it out of spite if nothing else.

I am with jingl. But I think this subject has been discussed before, so I am not going to post much, I dont think.

loopylou Tue 26-May-15 17:43:17

If that were the case GrannyTwice it might be so I guess, but possibly not by going through Dignitas, which I thought was for those who were terminally ill? Or am I wrong?

I imagine Dignitas has a very comprehensive process, really exploring the person's thinking before accepting them for their service.

In this country loved ones have faced prosecution for helping someone to die, a very difficult decision I think for anyone.

If an individual decides to end their life as in jingl's post, that is yet another tragic situation.

Many very complex and difficult scenarios.....

Ana Tue 26-May-15 17:51:30

It seems to work fine in Switzerland, so why should it be any different in this country? Is the UK so full of greedy or uncaring relatives that the authorities fear they'd be unable to cope with the demand...? hmm

I'm sorry, but the 'slippery slope' argument is one that's always trotted out whenever the subject of assisted dying is discussed.

loopylou Tue 26-May-15 18:03:48

I agree Ana
I can't imagine the numbers would be enormous and so long as there was a comprehensive independent assessment of the person involved then we should have our own.

loopylou Tue 26-May-15 18:18:43

On the BBC news apparently Lord Falconer is going to try to reintroduce his amendment to the 1981 Suicide Bill (I think that's what was said, I only caught a bit of it), so perhaps there will be changes.

Agus Tue 26-May-15 18:24:58

If the time ever comes when I decide I want to die with dignity and being of sound mind, I think it's insulting that I would be left to suffer unnecessarily and linger on merely existing as opposed to allowing me to do what is best for me.

I have chosen the time when my animals had suffered long enough and made the decision to allow them to 'go to sleep' in my arms. Pretty galling that humans are not afforded the same dignity.

GillT57 Tue 26-May-15 18:27:20

Just where is the humanity in an intelligent person having to choose to end their life in a business park in Switzerland, and on their own at the end? Compare this to being able to choose to die in your own bed, in your own home with your family with you....the terrible choice this man had to make, to die too soon in order to be able to do this is shameful, he had much more life to live but was unable to take the risk of being unable to die by his own hand, so so sad.

soontobe Tue 26-May-15 18:34:13

How do we know it works fine in Switzerland?

I found this link, but I think it is a bit alarmist.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2430479/One-thirty-deaths-Holland-euthanasia-choosing-end-lives-cancer.html

Agus Tue 26-May-15 18:35:37

Dignified Death Bill would be much more suitable than Suicide Bill!

loopylou Tue 26-May-15 18:38:30

Oops! blush

BBC website calls it the Suicide Bill....

Many apologies