Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Back ache :(

(14 Posts)
nanapug Sun 25-Jan-15 12:22:13

Have noticed that when I don't have a knitting project on my back is ok but when I start again on a project it gets bad. I love my knitting and really don't want to stop as it is a lovely hobby. Has any one else had this problem and have you found a way to resolve it please?

Nelliemoser Sun 25-Jan-15 12:50:47

nanapug No back ache but after doing a spell of a lot of charity squares I started on an new DK cardigan and I have been plauged with twinging tingling pains in my arms.

I don't know if this is RSI or a return of the torn tendon problem I had hoped was fixed at the end of 2013. I knitted a big project last spring and was ok until about 3 weeks ago.

I am very "p****d off with this, even too much typing is causing problems. I am tyring to rest it completely for a while which is general advice but I am lost without any knitting.

Have any other knitters had such problems?

loopylou Sun 25-Jan-15 12:54:21

Just wondering....I rest each arm on a cushion (or chair armrest one side and cushion the other) when knitting and it certainly makes a difference, have you tried it?

rosequartz Sun 25-Jan-15 13:03:04

Is it a complicated pattern and are you looking down at it, nanapug which could put a strain on your neck and shoulders?
If it is lower back one of those 'v' shaped could help.

My thumb joints get painful but I find using Symphonie knitting needles helps and finger/thumb joints are better than when I use bamboo or metal needles.

rosequartz Sun 25-Jan-15 13:03:52

-v- shaped cushions!

loopylou Sun 25-Jan-15 13:07:51

I find 'circular' needles easier to use for heavier yarns if knitting adult sizes or blankets, so the weight rests on your lap.

Nelliemoser Sun 25-Jan-15 13:12:34

loopylou That is worth a try but I will try resting for a bit longer.

soontobe Sun 25-Jan-15 14:25:36

Sitting in a chair developed with good posture in mind, might help?

Coolgran65 Sun 25-Jan-15 16:58:24

I tried V cushions, cushions under each arm.... just had to give up knitting. sad

Iam64 Sun 25-Jan-15 19:08:31

I prop my back up with cushions and don't knit for too long. An hour's my maximum or i know my back will ache. I find using bamboo needles helps with hand and arm pain.

rosequartz Sun 25-Jan-15 19:26:25

ps (whispers) I think it is going on GN on my tablet wot gives me a neck and back ache.

juneh Wed 27-May-15 12:23:03

I seem to get a dull ache in my ribs and suppose it to be my posture. I like to sit on the settee when I knit but can see that being hunched is probably the cause. I am reluctant, however, to sit on an upright chair. I believe in the old days they had special chairs for knitting. I also get a terrible pain in my right upper arm so knitting does become a painful process but I keep going.
Probably need to rethink how I sit, putting cushions under the arms seem to hinder more because the needles catch and so on. Hey ho! not sure what the solution is but will keep on.
At the moment I am very frustrated with a lacy pattern which seem to keep going wrong and I have to try to repair so maybe my aching ribs are telling me to give up....sad

Elegran Wed 27-May-15 13:26:30

If you are sitting on the sofa try putting a biggish cushion behind your back so that you are sitting more upright, not lounging in a C-shape with your neck curved over the knitting.

rosesarered Wed 27-May-15 13:47:04

The truth is that any repetitive action is going to cause problems, knitting, playing about on the computer or tablet, even holding a book and reading for long periods.I think just don't do it for long, set a time and keep to it.