Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Unsolicited NEXT catalogue £3.75

(25 Posts)
whenim64 Fri 29-May-15 10:40:31

Five years ago I bought some furniture online from Next, nothing online since. Yesterday, I received an email telling me a catalogue was on its way and they would put a £3.75 charge on my account if I didn't phone to cancel it. What a cheek! I phoned the number, which goes direct to catalogue cancellation, so obviously this is a frequent occurence. On checking Google, I see people have been complaining about this practice for at least 6 years. I put a comment on Twitter and got an immediate response from Next. Saying they would cancel it. Does anyone know what they're playing at? It feels like a random way of extracting easy money when people don't respond to this unwanted imposition.

janeainsworth Fri 29-May-15 12:01:10

Sounds as though Next might have cash flow problems, doesn't it!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 29-May-15 12:14:06

shock. I thought they stopped doing this year's ago! It happened to me some time back now and I had to "have words" with them. Successfully, I'm glad to say.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 29-May-15 12:14:56

sorry for stray apostrophe there

annodomini Fri 29-May-15 12:22:02

I got one this year - unsolicited - and cancelled it for the future. It weighs a ton!

Tegan Fri 29-May-15 13:08:36

Same here; I filled in a survey in a shop thinking I was helping the young girl doing it and ended up with a catalogue that they then charged me for.My son did the same in another shop and ended up with a credit card which he had problems cancelling.

thatbags Fri 29-May-15 13:14:15

Since you haven't used your Next account for five years, why not just close it, then they can't play such tricks.

harrigran Fri 29-May-15 13:18:06

I filled in a card in Next shop, girl said it was a competition to win clothes. Two days after my shopping a hefty book arrived with an invoice for the money owed. I got on the phone and told them I wasn't having it nor was I schlepping it to post office so they could jolly well come and get it. A courier arrived and collected the book but I got several invoices for money owed and it took me a while to sort it angry

janeainsworth Fri 29-May-15 13:31:51

It puts you off being on anyone's mailing list, but I had a very positive experience with Hobbs.
I went into their branch in York and saw a sweater that I had to have.
The assistant scanned my credit card, and then asked if I'd had a voucher from them recently.
I dimly remembered getting one 3 or 4 weeks before but hadn't bothered to keep it.
The assistant said never mind, she would give me the 20% discount anyway shock
I was so pleased I bought a scarf as well blush

Agus Fri 29-May-15 13:59:24

Nice one janea I too have had good service from Hobbs.

I am only on two mailing lists as they are the only ones I want any communication with.

I have never had a Next catalogue as we have two stores locally and hopefully I can see what I want to buy but, if not, I would order in store. I refuse to 'buy' anyone's catalogue if they are hoping I will buy something.'

Agus Fri 29-May-15 14:03:50

In other words grin. If a store hopes I will buy something, they can give me a free catalogue.

whenim64 Fri 29-May-15 14:31:04

bags I didn't know I even had an account! I've not bought anything online since that one time five years ago - shopped in their stores since. I haven't received catalogues at any time, either. They appear to have opened something on my behalf and the only connection I can see is that they send emails with offers and highlights of what's on sale. I've made it clear that I don't want an account.

I've regarded Next as being like M and S or Debenhams - high street stores who sell online that I can buy from when I feel like it. Clearly, Next have a different view of their outfit. Charging for catalogues? Cheeky!

janerowena Fri 29-May-15 14:52:03

I had this problem ten years ago. Apparently when I bought the goods I should have seen the teenyweeny little box that said I didn't wish to buy an enormous catalogue, and ticked it. I refused to pay. I also refused to buy any more goods from them online, and never have done, so they have missed out hugely over the years. The only way I got rid of them was by moving!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 29-May-15 14:57:40

Next are completely different from other online stores. You have to open an account with them, and they would really like you to continue paying monthly. I just pay it off. Only use it at Xmas anyway.

loopylou Fri 29-May-15 15:58:24

I've bought clothes from Next online without opening an account. I've also been sent unsolicited catalogues by Next, and never been charged hmm

janerowena Fri 29-May-15 16:45:53

Tell me the secret of your magic powers lou!

loopylou Fri 29-May-15 17:06:29

Not magic, just did it, admittedly some while ago, perhaps they've changed tactics.
Had catalogue arrive from nowhere last year, never been asked to pay for it grin

Elizabeth1 Tue 30-Jun-15 11:24:01

NEXT is okay when you ask them to stop these catalogues. Okay they shouldn't send them without asking but hey ho it happens. grin

FarNorth Tue 30-Jun-15 11:32:45

hey ho they are trying to con thousands of people.

Elizabeth1 Tue 30-Jun-15 12:38:52

I just love sending for loads of clothing from NEXT just before my holidays so that I can try them on in the comfort of my own home. Then I send the ones I don't want straight back. A great service in my opinion. I recently bought a strapless bra took the labels off because it seemed okay at the time. After a few minutes on holiday the bra began to hurt me and the bestest service was yet to come. They have taken it back woohoo. Nothing much wrong with that eh. smile

annodomini Tue 30-Jun-15 13:29:30

What I want to know is how to dispose of this enormous hard-cover volume.

rosesarered Tue 30-Jun-15 13:40:01

Bought some shelves from Next online about five years ago. since then only had one catalogue from them two years ago, and was never charged for it. I will look out for this now though.You have to create an account to order the goods.

Nelliemoser Wed 01-Jul-15 00:20:08

I am sure that somewhere legislation such as charging for unsolicited goods must come into this. These days you should have to opt in to getting and paying for a catalogue and not just have to opt out.

It sounds as if the "Next" staff get commission for such stuff.
What ever happened to unfair contract terms. Cheeky beggars.

granjura Wed 01-Jul-15 14:32:21

Surely you don't have to pay this if you don't order- but if you do order, the 3.75 will be added to the bill?

Meercat Wed 01-Jul-15 14:47:13

No I think they charge you for the catalogue whether you order or not.