Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Paypal

(11 Posts)
jeanie99 Tue 30-Jun-15 13:01:35

Can anyone who as Paypal experience explain how this works I've forgotten.
I used it years ago to pay for something but had a problem but can't remember what the problem was.

I want to sell an item how can I be sure the person as put the money in the account before I release the goods.
I'm just concerned if I let the item go and the money doesn't get into my account.
Are there any scams regarding Paypal transfers?

AlieOxon Tue 30-Jun-15 13:44:42

I'm puzzled too, they keep sending occasional emails and i don't know if I am still on their books - and I can't remember how it works either

Elegran Tue 30-Jun-15 13:56:44

There are lots of email scams pretending to be from Paypal.
The Paypal site has FAQs and a Help section.

Ana Tue 30-Jun-15 13:57:05

I only know how to pay using it...

Humbertbear Tue 30-Jun-15 14:25:06

If you are selling thru a recognised site such as eBay you receive an email telling you that the money has been paid and you are told not to post anything until it is paid for

Nelliemoser Wed 01-Jul-15 07:17:05

I know this is one Granny teaching others to suck eggs but the OP was asking all about PayPal.

I had this scam email from Paypal in my inbox this a/m. You do need to be careful. Never just reply to the email.

Their spelling of delivery rather gives it away. I have now blocked it from my inbox. I am sure such a stupid address should be a clue.

[email protected] ([email protected])
Add to contacts
03:17
To: Delievery
[email protected]
From: [email protected] ([email protected]) You moved this message to its current location.
Sent:01 July 2015 03:17:48
To:Delievery

You do need to be aware of any such scams from banks or such like. You can usually check on lline if such a message is a scam. I typed the address into Google search to see if was one that is listed. Yes! it's one of the known scams.

Coolgran65 Wed 01-Jul-15 07:50:51

Also, in correspondence, PayPal always address you by your name, not as 'PayPal user/member'.

To use PayPal, one of your bank accounts will be linked to it. This is in case you buy something via PayPal but don't have enough money in your PayPal.

When a buyer has paid for an item the money goes into your PayPal account and you get an email to tell you it is paid. You can also go into your PayPal account to check the situation. On eBay, on your sold list, an item is marked paid once the money is received

You could Google how to operate a PayPal account for more details.
It's ok. Any difficulties ring PayPal, they are very helpful.

glammanana Wed 01-Jul-15 08:22:00

I have had a PayPal account for quite sometime and have always had an e-mail confirming when monies have been received after selling an item,any item I send always get sent recorded delivery which gives you peace of mind,and scam e-mails always start without your actual name they just address you as PayPal Customer

Mishap Wed 01-Jul-15 09:48:27

I always ignore any emails from Paypal and delete them straight away.

I find it a quick and easy way to pay for things, and more online sellers have that as an option.

J52 Wed 01-Jul-15 09:53:50

I know I've mentioned this before, but I link my PayPal account to a separate bank account from my current account. It means that should anyone fraudulently get access they are in an account with very little money in it.

If you build up money in PayPal, you can easily transfer it to you bank account and then move it out to wherever you want.

Sorry for repetition to anyone who already knows this!

x

jeanie99 Thu 02-Jul-15 08:37:01

Thanks everyone, not sure if I have missed out on a sale some weeks ago.

What happened was
I was selling something locally and the lady phoned saying she would put some money in my Paypal account (I didn't have one) and wanted to collect item asp.
Sent me an e-mail with a link to paypal to set an account up. I can't remember what it said though.
She just seemed too eager to get my item which put me off and I thought it may be a scam as she offered me more money than I had advertised and wanted to send an agent to collect straight away.

Does that sound right.