Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

financial help with own home fees in seniors complex

(4 Posts)
k140 Mon 08-Feb-16 14:50:42

Need advice on the 190 pounds a month i'm paying to housing trust for grounds/caretaker costs - my rates are already waived being low income on minimum pension - is there government assistance for high fees for living in my own home in a seniors housing complex? Thanks

Luckygirl Mon 08-Feb-16 14:58:25

I do not know, but I am sure CAB would and that this is the best way to proceed.

I have looked it up online and it is very complicated indeed, so I would advise that you visit or phone CAB so that they can look into your individual circumstances. There is some clause that covers help with services charges, but it depends on a large number of factors: age, income, savings etc.

If the government is trying to persuade us to downsize and stop selfishly living in large houses (!) then they need to take this sort of service charge into account. We paid this on my Dad's bungalow during the year or more we took to sell it after he died.

M0nica Mon 08-Feb-16 19:11:51

I assume from your post that you are on Pension Credit. I think you can claim for some, though not necessarily all, of your service charges through Housing Benefit.

But as Luckygirl says, best visit the Citizen's Advice Bureau or Age UK, the address of your local branches will be available online or in your local library of telephone directory.

petra Mon 08-Feb-16 22:42:25

The last I knew, if you are on pension credit these costs are paid.
Just give them a call.