Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Quad Bike

(12 Posts)
lucycakeface Sun 29-May-16 00:05:31

Hi Ladies, can anybody tell me if racing a quad bike around your back garden in a residential area is illegal?

lefthanded Sun 29-May-16 00:39:51

It might contravene some local by-law, particularly with regard to noise, but apart from that I can't see a problem.

lefthanded (who isn't a lady, incidentally smile).

Jane10 Sun 29-May-16 06:47:48

Must be a big garden!

Indinana Sun 29-May-16 07:44:59

I would have thought racing a quad bike in a back garden in a residential area is a very selfish thing to do. Whether it's illegal I have no idea, but isn't it sad that there are people who behave like this and the only recourse for those affected is the law? If I had a neighbour from hell like that I'd be doing everything I could think of to stop them. If this is what you're having to put up with then I wish you luck.

janeainsworth Sun 29-May-16 07:57:54

Indi I immediately assumed Lucy was planning to ride her own bike in her own garden grin

absent Sun 29-May-16 08:16:36

It probably isn't illegal, but it is irritating – then so are noisy lawn mowers. One of my neighbours frequently uses both – but not at the same time.

Indinana Sun 29-May-16 08:32:53

janea oops blush

merlotgran Sun 29-May-16 08:50:16

Unless you have an enormous back garden it's a jolly expensive way of amusing yourself.

Can't you just buy a ride on lawnmower and get your kicks while cutting the grass? grin

lucycakeface Sun 29-May-16 20:52:22

Hi Ladies and lefthanded smile. It's my neighbours who are riding around their back garden on a quad bike. For two nights now we have had numerous people round there screaming and shouting and revving up this blasted thing. I think Hubby will end up having a polite word before we take any sort of action. We live in such a lovely part of the countryside and it's usually so pleasant, but it looks like those lazy hazy days of enjoying the garden are over.

janeainsworth Sun 29-May-16 22:27:35

Good luck Lucy.
My neighbours had a party last night, unfortunately they provided their own live music and appeared to know only 3 different chords shockconfused

merlotgran Sun 29-May-16 22:43:59

janea, Your post reminds me of my 60th birthday. DD2 held a party for me in her garden. She lives on the edge of an estate so most of the neighbours are at the back but that didn't deter the musicians in the family from belting out Beatles songs well into the early hours.

During the fourth rendition of 'Hey Jude' we noticed we had been joined by a young couple in their pyjamas - singing their heads off. They apologised for gatecrashing but said it was a case of 'If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.' blush

janeainsworth Sun 29-May-16 22:51:02

grin