Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Calling from Devon

(23 Posts)
Allotmenteer Thu 23-Apr-15 11:24:39

Hello I'm the local editor for the GN Devon page, I was born in Devon & have spent most of my life here.
I'm looking for recommendations of places to stay, eat, visit etc in our lovely county for people who may want to visit the area, does anyone have any suggestions please? If you have a particular photo that you think would be nice to put on the Welcome to GN Devon page do let me know.
Best wishes to all smile Anne

Anne58 Thu 23-Apr-15 19:57:53

Hello Anne,

There are so many good places for all sorts of activities in glorious Devon!

Hopefully there will be a few suggestions along soon! The RHS gardens at Rosemoor (North Devon, not that far from Torrington. If it's your thing, go when the Rose Garden is at it's peak, colours and scents are wonderful.

rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 20:16:32

Hartland Quay and the countryside all around, wonderful in all seasons.That's in North Devon, I don't know much about South Devon.Also what about Bideford as a centre to stay in?Barnstaple has rainy day things to do, an indoor pannier market, and good leisure centres for swimming and sport.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Apr-15 20:18:51

The do lovely lunches in the restaurant at Killerton (National Trust) And the grounds are lovely to walk round too. It's at Broadclyst, near Exeter. smile

henetha Thu 23-Apr-15 20:18:53

Hi Anne,
For those who like country pubs in lovely settings with nice food, it is hard to beat the Rugglestone Inn near Widecombe on Dartmoor. Sitting in the beer garden on a sunny day, watching the ducks and chickens scratching around is like paradise.
There are so many lovely places in Devon that it is hard to know where to begin. But for a start, Cockington in Torquay is lovely; old thatched cottages and a country forge etc. in beautiful gardens with little lakes,
is a nice day out.
I will add more another day.

Anne58 Thu 23-Apr-15 23:58:09

Oh heck, whats the name of that pub, Dartmoor, near a Church, lovely cottage type garden, (almost expect to see Miss Marple come through the gate!)

I think it's The Cleave.

And of course there's Lydford Gorge, also that funny pub with all the shells, and if you a bit over the border there's always the Eden Project.

Ariadne Fri 24-Apr-15 07:48:48

We have had some lovely meet ups too, in Exeter and Bideford.

Ariadne Fri 24-Apr-15 09:08:50

Allotmenteer I don't think I have seen you on the forums much, if at all, have I? I ask because the meetups, of which I spoke in my last post were all organised via the forums. I think that this is where we first meet like minded people and get to "know" them.

It will be interesting to get to know you, should you decide to post regularly. (I am in Bideford, by the way.)

Allotmenteer Fri 24-Apr-15 23:24:29

Thank you all for your replies & suggestions, please keep them coming! I'll add some new listings to our pages.
Have you all signed up for the Devon Newsletter? If not it's easy enough to do, when you next look at GN go to the My Gransnet tab at the top right of the page (just under the search button) one of the tabs on the next page is headed Newsletter. There are two you can have, one is from the centre & the Devon one is the one I prepare from listings on our page, this goes out near the beginning of each month. If you have any comments to make about it or any suggestions for something please let me know.
I took over as an editor from someone else & have no idea what happened before that time. I understand that there are some who feel that Local Editors are a waste of time but without us the local pages will die. We all belong to GN for different reasons & we enjoy different parts of it. I hope that you enjoy what I put in the Newsletter & will support the local pages because I'll continue to keep adding events, places to visit etc I'm also happy to promote things that are local to you.
Ariadne can you suggest a venue that you used previously in Exeter or Bideford for us to meet up, or does anyone else have any suggestions in other areas?
Anne

debbie27 Wed 20-May-15 16:35:07

Hi, moved here 4 years ago from London loved the quiet at first now finding it a bit dull sometimes. Believe it or not haven't made many friends yet and when my husband goes back to London for work I find it very lonely. I have a daughter lives nearby with my grandaughter but my sons and other grandchildren live in London /Kent borders , miss them so much. By the way I live in ashill near Tiverton .

Ariadne Wed 20-May-15 18:59:00

I love it here, but am happy to arrange my own GN friends' meetings. Thank you anyway.

sally345 Wed 24-Jun-15 20:34:31

I live in Torbay and would love to meet up with someone for coffee and a chat , haven't seen anyone from Torbay in the forum as yet so am i the first.

If you are in Paignton Torquay or Brixham post a message and we can start to get to know one another within the forum Plymouth and Exeter are too far away so come on local people lets chat. Look forward to hearing from you .

sally345 Wed 24-Jun-15 20:40:50

Hi There Debbie 27 so sorry to here how lonely you feel at times but i know how you feel, i live on my own although my son lives in the flat underneath me and i have a couple of friends i meet up with for coffee its evening when i get to feel lonely . thank goodness for this forum and silver line they have been lifelines for me. Thought i would answer your message to show you you are not alone Take care god bless Sally345

Bamm Thu 25-Jun-15 15:24:07

Hi debbie27, I hope you have met some new friends now. I am in Crediton , quite near to you. My grandchildren are in the USA so I know how you feel. Let me know if you want to meet.

sally345 Thu 02-Jul-15 17:28:57

Trying again to catch up with anyone living in Torbay, South Devon (or anyone who would like to message me) would love to meet up with local people and perhaps go for a coffee and a chat. I've been ill and so out of touch with the community locally. If you live in Torbay please message me and we can exchange messages. Look forward to hearing from you speak soon smile

Persistentdonor Sun 03-Mar-19 22:19:07

Paignton/Torbay meet up: will be in the library cafe at 11:00 on Tuesday 5th March.
All welcome. cafe

Persistentdonor Wed 29-Jan-20 07:59:03

Paignton for Torbay area. smile
Next meet up will be in the Paignton Library coffee shop on Tuesday 4th February between 11:00 and 1:00. cafe cupcake

Very close to train and bus station, also easy parking close by.

Persistentdonor Tue 03-Mar-20 08:11:17

We'll be in the Paignton Library coffee shop from 11:00 today if you feel like a chat. cafe

LadyBella Wed 20-May-20 14:53:25

Editor please note: Wouldn't it be a good idea if, on this Forum, people could state where they live. Then this could be put perhaps in alphabetical order and people looking for a particular area could find it. Rather than the way it's done now which is rather haphazard.

Evie64 Mon 08-Jun-20 20:10:30

Hi all, I live in Exeter. If you're looking for somewhere to have a drink and perhaps something to eat, there are some lovely places on the quay here with great views. The Waterfront does a mean pizza and a lovely seafood platter (when in season) and The Port Royal is a lobely pub to just sit and have a drink outside. There are so many eateries here in Exeter, you really will be spoilt for choice. You can eat everything from Caribbean, Thai, Lebanese, Turkish, Greek, Japanese etc. There is a great cocktail bar in The Guildhall and so much more.

Evie64 Mon 08-Jun-20 20:11:24

Errr? lobely?? Of course, I meant lovely!

Evie64 Mon 08-Jun-20 20:33:27

Hi Debbie27. So sorry to hear you're feeling lonely. I was exactly the same when we moved to Exeter 8 years ago from London. It was so difficult leaving friends and everything I was familiar with, even down to local shops and local pubs/restaurants. I found it really difficult to make new friends. However, I took a part time job in a local Primary School in an attempt to make new friends. I must say, it was the best decision I ever made. I've made loads of lovely friends. If you don't want to take job, why not investigate perhaps volunteering in a local charity shop, or something for Age Concern, even if only one day per week? PM me if you want to. I really do understand how you're feeling.

sazz1 Mon 17-Aug-20 01:16:13

Hi all
We moved to Devon last November and love it here. Would like to meet up with other gransnetters for coffee and a chat or lunch once a week or so. I'm in South Devon Teignmouth Dawlish area. Thanks xx