Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

April in Edinburgh

(254 Posts)
Elegran Fri 15-Jan-16 11:35:15

A month or so ago we were remembering the big all-day meetup we had in Edinburgh two years ago and there was enthusiasm for doing it again.

Ok - time to get down to some serious planning if it is all to be organised in time foir a Spring Spectacular in April. I shall try to pm everyone who was interested when it was first mentioned, but I hope that there will be others. Last time we had people from the other end of the country, and it was great to see everyone.

Dates first - can I ask you for an idea of when in April you can and particularly when you CANT make it so that I can see what date would suit most people. Is the weekend or a weekday better? Sunday travelling proved tricky last time, but weekdays are not convenient if you are working. There are plenty of places to stay here for anyone who wants to make a city break of it (other halves can join us for lunch if they like)

Venue probably the ROSL www.rosl-edinburgh.org/ subject to availability on our chosen date.

Next - what kind of programme would you like? Last time we had a really good talk about the beaver re-introduction trial (still no decision by Scottish executive on whether that re-introduction is to be made permanent!) and an exhilarating dicsussion on the Scottish Independence referendum, with some Scottish songs to finish. There were other things in reserve, but time ran out. There was coffee and biscuits, and a sit-down lunch.

Jane10 Fri 15-Jan-16 12:27:26

Great idea Elegran. I'm easy re w/e vs w/t. Lots of good places to stay. The rosl itself has nice rooms. People could just stagger down to join us. How about some of the GNHQ people joining us?

Pittcity Fri 15-Jan-16 13:26:31

I will leave the planning down to those of you North of the Border and will endeavour to join you.
I do agree that we need plenty of time for tea and blethering!!

thatbags Fri 15-Jan-16 13:51:14

I can't do Monday 2nd but it's a bank holiday anyway so probably not ideal.

thatbags Fri 15-Jan-16 13:52:03

Oh bother! I was looking at May, not April! Scratch out my last post.

baubles Fri 15-Jan-16 14:44:28

I'm in depending on date. I'm generally not free on Tuesdays and Wednesdays but could probably manage any other days including weekends.

moomin Fri 15-Jan-16 15:21:06

Count me in Elegran, April so far looking fairly clear. Seems ages since I met up with the Scottish Ladiiees smile

Elegran Fri 15-Jan-16 15:33:01

Great responses so far. I shall contact the ROSL to see what is available, and what the cost of it all is likely to be, and report back.

Katek Fri 15-Jan-16 15:47:15

I'm free all month apart from weekend of 16/17th. Def count me in!! smile

janeainsworth Fri 15-Jan-16 16:01:36

Have pm'ed you Elegran. Free for most of April.

Elegran Fri 15-Jan-16 16:45:01

Got that, thank you Jane

ffinnochio Fri 15-Jan-16 17:13:48

Elegran still looking good for me in April.

Elegran Fri 15-Jan-16 17:19:36

Good, Ffinnochio This sounds as though it might just happen!

glassortwo Fri 15-Jan-16 20:34:17

Oh I'm coming if possible, had mentioned to DD that this was coming off.

I cant do anything 22nd to 24th DD in Portugal with the girls, and weekend of the 29th is DH 60th, hope its not then sad but DD can take holidays if midweek.

Elizabeth1 Fri 15-Jan-16 21:00:52

Love to come along however I'm working away 12th - 26th I'm free all other days in April. Good venue Elegran smashing food, great service, loads of room and it's in the centre of Edinburgh. Thank you once again for arranging a lovely day smile

Elegran Fri 15-Jan-16 21:09:51

Quite a few of you can't be there the last half of the month, so at the moment it looks as though it will be nearer the beginning.

glassortwo Fri 15-Jan-16 21:15:09

smile

Elizabeth1 Fri 15-Jan-16 21:31:51

smile

Marelli Sat 16-Jan-16 03:12:45

Think I'll be fine for nearer the beginning of the month, too, Elegran. Really looking forward to seeing everyone again. ROSL is a perfect venue. smile

glassortwo Sat 16-Jan-16 08:14:07

I have just looked at trains for beginning of April and there are some cheap offers on at the moment.

gillybob Sat 16-Jan-16 09:49:48

I think I am okay for most of April so far. So put me down as an (almost) definite please Elegran smile

Elegran Sat 16-Jan-16 10:29:11

It is filling up nicely - about a dozen at the moment, and I am sure others will join in over the next wee while. Certain or fairly sure, some depending on dates, are:-

Elegran
Thatbags
Jane10
Katek
Pittcity
Glassortwo
JaneAinsworth
Baubles
Marelli
Elizabeth1
Gillybob
Moomin
Grannylynn65

Still waiting for some replies. If I have left anyone out of the list, I am sorry - please post a correction!

trisher Sat 16-Jan-16 10:33:01

Please can I come? I am quite near -Newcastle. Can't do Thursdays- baby minding but any other time should be OK. Haven't been before but it sounds great.

Elegran Sat 16-Jan-16 10:35:04

Yes of course you can come! It'll be lovely to see another new face.

Marmight Sat 16-Jan-16 10:45:32

G'dy from Oz ? Just catching up.... April is fine for me apart from the first tuesday and probably not towards the end as will be south for GS's birthday . As usual, can offer beds to whoever may need them.