Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Edinburgh theatre visit in December

(174 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Tue 26-Aug-14 08:19:38

Elegran and I are working together on the December meet up where I have been investigating the potential for a theatre visit. Elegran will arrange a venue for a meal either before or after once she knows where and when. There are already a few people considering this who are on the previous link of Edinburgh meet ups. Any more interests will be warmly received. smile

Elizabeth1 Tue 26-Aug-14 08:32:27

Here goes - just cut and pasted from previous link (whew)

Festival theatre - Scottish Ballet The Nutcracker 13, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 December
Tickets General £13 - £38 premium £35 - £42.50

Edinburgh Playhouse - Wicked starting Monday 1st December for the full month
Tickets General - from £22

Usher Hall
2 December Chris Lea
3 December Beethoven Piano Concerto No 4
5 December RSNO Fire and Ice
8 December Bootleg Beatles
12 December RSNO Hollywood Christmas
13 December A Christmas Wish
Tickets variable

Kings Theatre
1 December West End Women
29 November - 18 January Aladdin
3 -6 December Slava's Snowshow
13 December - 3 January Nutcracker
Tickets variable

I would suggest to those avid theatre goers to google any of the above because they all look fabulous.

My favourite would be Wicked however I'm open to other likes.

Gosh this isn't easy is it Elegran. I take my hat off to you for all previous arrangements. wink

Marmight Tue 26-Aug-14 09:07:36

Well done Eliz1
I would prefer Nutcracker at the Playhouse. It would get us all in the C-word mood!

janeainsworth Tue 26-Aug-14 12:49:06

Yes I would like the Nutcracker too.

Elegran Tue 26-Aug-14 12:53:31

I was wavering between the Nutcracker and a concert, but I will join Marmight and Janeainsworth in the nutcracker camp.

Elegran Tue 26-Aug-14 12:54:19

The Playhouse is pretty easy to reach from Waverley too!

Elizabeth1 Tue 26-Aug-14 16:03:04

The Nutcracker sounds fabby dabby I think Wicked can be for another day perhaps with DH. Now to agree the date for the Nutcracker. Any suggestions you dear GN's?

Elizabeth1 Tue 26-Aug-14 16:10:39

Oops have I got the wrong theatre? [Elegran] Is it easy to get to the Festival Theatre

Scottish Ballet, The Nutcracker
13 December 2014 – 3 January 2015

The Festival Theatre

If you’re a fan of Christmas and The Scottish Ballet, The Nutcracker will be right up your street. The performance is lovingly recreated from the production that was first presented at the Edinburgh Lyceum in 1973.

After a fun-filled Christmas party full of magic and celebrations, young Clara falls asleep and dreams that she helps the Nutcracker Prince defeat an army of giant mice. She is rewarded by a visit to the glittering Land of Ice and Snow, where snowflakes come to life, sparkling as they dance – and the magical Kingdom of Sweets – the enchanted Realm of the beautiful Sugar Plum Fairy.

Elegran Tue 26-Aug-14 16:22:52

I was copying Marmight ! Blame her!

moomin Tue 26-Aug-14 18:23:02

I would like Nutcracker too!

Frannygranny Tue 26-Aug-14 18:31:47

Would love to come but DD due her second baby at the beginning of December!

Marelli Tue 26-Aug-14 18:32:15

I'd like to go to The Nutcracker, too. Elizabeth1, the Festival Theatre is over the 'Bridges' and a quite a bit of a walk up from Waverley station/Princes Street, especially if the weather's not too good. However, I'm sure we can hop into a taxi (or two)!

thatbags Tue 26-Aug-14 18:53:04

Nutcracker for me too, please.

Elizabeth1 Tue 26-Aug-14 18:54:20

Ha ha Elegran I was taken in as well and I was organising the thing. What are you like Marmight I know how you feel Fannygranny my daughter is due her baby around the middle of September and I'm staying close by. Exciting times. A wee taxi ride Anne - promise we won't be running for the train promise promise. grin

Names so far are:
Marelli
Moomin
Elegran
Janeainsworth
Marmight
Me

Please can we have a date ladies. smile

Marelli Tue 26-Aug-14 19:35:11

I'm happy to go any day. Are there matinees, Elizabeth1?

Elegran Tue 26-Aug-14 19:40:21

Matinees are good - you get home in daylight (or you can hang around eating and blethering for longer)

On the other hand, there may be a lot of children - if that bothers anyone.

glassortwo Tue 26-Aug-14 19:48:49

I would have loved to come, and especially to see Nutcracker, but DD will have just gone back to work after her maternity leave so she will be unable to take any more time off. sad

Marelli Tue 26-Aug-14 19:51:12

Oh, glass sad!

Elegran Tue 26-Aug-14 19:51:59

There will be other meets, Glass! One is planned for October, maybe you will be able to make that. Are there any days in October that you definitely will not be able to, so that we can avoid those?

Marelli Tue 26-Aug-14 19:55:36

I don't mind there being a lot of children. After all, it'll be Christmas.....wink!

glassortwo Tue 26-Aug-14 19:57:29

elegran thank you smile I will have to sort with DD as she is in and out of work from now until December when she is back full time, its got me dizzy trying to keep up with her. I will try to get her pinned down to definite dates if I can. hmm

thatbags Tue 26-Aug-14 20:08:40

Add me to the list as well, please, Elizabeth1. I think our posts crossed.

Marelli Tue 26-Aug-14 20:10:01

If you can somehow manage October, glass, it would be lovely. xx

thatbags Tue 26-Aug-14 20:12:11

Yes, glass, we missed you the other day. Fingers crossed!

Marmight Tue 26-Aug-14 23:13:04

Oops! Sorry. Blame me blush
If we went to a matinee we could then go out for dinner or a 'high tea' afterwards! wine