Gransnet forums

Meet ups/where are you?

Meeting up in Surrey

(34 Posts)
Sheena Mon 09-Mar-15 19:48:08

Are there any planned meet-ups in Surrey...possibly Sutton, Cheam , Epsom, Ashtead , Leatherhead areas ?

Purpledaffodil Mon 09-Mar-15 20:00:55

I am in North Surrey, but would be interested if there is one.

alchemillamollis Thu 12-Mar-15 23:50:26

Sutton or Cheam would be nearest for me...I'm up for it.

Grannyknot Fri 13-Mar-15 06:28:50

Depending on what day the meet-up is arranged for, I could get to Sutton or Cheam. I'm away for the second half of April.

Greenfinch Fri 13-Mar-15 07:11:24

Welcome back alchemillamollis.Good to see you posting again.

A bit too far for me I'm afraid. I'm nearer Camberley

alchemillamollis Sat 14-Mar-15 00:09:11

Aw, thanks, Greenfinch. I'm here from time to time. smile But am always up for a meet-up. I'd be more than happy to travel, anyway, so anytime, any place, anywhere...

alchemillamollis Sat 14-Mar-15 00:25:08

Insomniac as ever, I just googled "Where is Camberley?" It's not far! is the answer. How about Cobham? That's a nice place to meet with interesting shops, a Waitrose, and lots of coffee shops. But I am open to other offers. smile

Sheena Sat 14-Mar-15 08:07:16

Like you alchemillamollis I've just googled the map of Surrey and found Camberley and Cobham....don't know where you are Purpledaffodil..but would Cobham be of any good to you? I am in Epsom, and like alchemillamollis and Grannyknot Sutton or Cheam would be easier for me. Saying that I can easily get to Cobham but don't know the High Street or where there are any coffee shops/parking etc.....so wondered about these places : www.squiresgardencentres.co.uk/garden-centre/cobham/ easy parking etc.......and also :http://www.themedicinegarden.com/ lovely coffee shop and surroundings.......what do you think ladies? Shame no 0ne else has replied...maybe there are not many of us in Surrey !! the meet up posts for the North seem popular .

Grannyknot Sat 14-Mar-15 08:07:51

I can do Cobham smile

Grannyknot Sat 14-Mar-15 08:10:51

Crossed posts! The Medicine Garden sounds interesting. But I'm easy!

alchemillamollis Sat 14-Mar-15 10:06:00

I would love to go to the Medicine Garden!

www.themedicinegarden.com/

I've never been, never heard of it before, but it sounds really interesting. Cobham is dead easy to get to, because it's just off the A3. And the junction of the A3 and the M25 is really close, so potentially the whole of Gransnet could come...wink

We need some dates now, don't we?

granjura Sat 14-Mar-15 17:56:00

North Surrey was mentioned- so I didn't suggest my favourite 'Medicine Garden' - I've been visiting ever since it was still derelict and the project was just starting- now we always go for lunch or tea, and to the playground with the GCs after school. If I am in Cobham when you do meet- I'd love to join in. Lots of parking, bric-àbrac, garden and souvenir shop and the old fashioned Victorian Greenhouse café- a lovely place.

Greenfinch Sat 14-Mar-15 18:41:25

I actually live in Berkshire about 10 miles from Camberley but I would love to join you Surrey Grans and am happy to travel. I only drive locally so would go by train and therefore anywhere with a station suits me. I know both Sutton and Cobham do so I am easy. In fact I can manage anywhere that can be reached by train from Guildford. Looking forward to meeting you all soon. I can manage most dates if arranged sufficiently far ahead.

Grannyknot Sat 14-Mar-15 19:21:02

I am away from 8th April to the end of April... (I had thought it would be from the 15th) - I would be sorry to miss out but don't plan only around my dates! smile

I too can make most dates with sufficient notice.

alchemillamollis Sat 14-Mar-15 23:10:02

Would it be OK to plan something for the beginning of May? That's not too long to wait, is it? We might get a few more in that way.

We need to think about time of day, and which weekday, if not weekends. Embarrassingly, perhaps, I am ludicrously available. grin But I would prefer:

Tuesdays
Wednesdays
Fridays

I can also do Mondays and Thursdays but then I get picky about times: late afternoon only. smile Indeed I can do weekends too.

Sheena Sun 15-Mar-15 07:32:21

Righto Ladies....let's see if we can all get together !

A Couple of dates : how about Wednesday 6th May

or Friday 8th May

and I suggest we meet say at The Medecine Garden Cobham for 11 or 11.30 for a coffee and chat and then have a bite of lunch .

Greenfinch, there is a station at Cobham though it is a little way from the M.G. but I'd happily meet you there and we could drive together to meet the others?

If we all decide on a date then I could post on the general CHAT section and maybe more people would see the meet up proposed, but on the other hand it might be nice to keep it small as then we can all get to know each other a bit better.

Let me know what you think smile

alchemillamollis Sun 15-Mar-15 11:00:13

Hooray!

I would prefer Friday 8 May but I could do Wednesday 6 May if that is otherwise the consensus.

Coffee followed by lunch sounds perfect.

Grannyknot Sun 15-Mar-15 13:27:12

I can do either date too.

dustyangel Sun 15-Mar-15 18:54:21

When I visit DDs in UK, I am based in Surrey in the Camberley area.

Despite having wanted to visit the Chelsea Physic garden in the past, I had never heard of the Medicine Garden in Cobham. It sounds lovely. I have just come back from UK and don't yet know when I will go again but late April or May seems likely. If I am around I'd love to join you but if it isn't possible maybe we can have a mini meet up later on in the north Surrey/Berks area.

Purpledaffodil Sun 15-Mar-15 20:07:11

Gosh this has got organised well! Cobham is great for me, only 20 minutes away. I have never heard of the Medicine Garden, so will look out for it. I can do 6th May, but Friday 8th more problematic. If Friday favourite for everyone else, I could rearrange other commitment. Have never done a meet up before. Very exciting!

Grannyknot Sun 15-Mar-15 20:09:36

It is pd and all! We'll have to have a who's who guessing game smile

Greenfinch Sun 15-Mar-15 20:34:25

Thanks so much for the offer of a lift Sheena.That would be very helpful.

Fridaywould be better for me as I have to do the school run on Wednesdays which means travelling some distance but I could manage Wednesday if others prefer it.

granjura Sun 15-Mar-15 20:47:47

Great to hear it's all coming together. Very unlikely I will be in Cobham on those dates, planning to visit later in the month. Funny that I am a furiner living abroad and never lived in Surrey, and yet the only one to be regular visitor to the Medicine Garden - enjoy.

Sheena Sun 15-Mar-15 22:00:25

Update on our meet up ! :

so far we have me Sheena
alchemillamollis
Grannyknot
Greenfinch
Purpledaffodil
dustyangel (possible)
but sadly not granjura (maybe next time smile

hope I've got that all right ! Now ladies let's decide on the date... my preference too is Friday 8th May so shall we go with that ? would that be OK with you all......and Greenfinch we will arrange nearer the time about meeting at the station.

I will private message you all to with my phone number..and maybe we could all swap phone numbers so that we can be in touch on the day. We can sort out times etc.

And please, if anyone else would like to join us....that would be great !

Purpledaffodil Mon 16-Mar-15 04:39:06

Friday 8th May it is then.Scarves tied to handbags is I believe the usual recognition item? grin