Gransnet forums

Menopause

Cool bed

(47 Posts)
meandashy Thu 25-Aug-16 21:22:35

Good evening ☺ im a young grandma (44) & im apparently having the perimenopause? have any of you lovely ladies tried a cool gel mat in bed to counter hot flushes in the night?
I bought a pillow sized on that slips and slides inside the pillow case & out ? & I'm wondering about a full size bed one that companies make for dogs. Have you tried one? Found them quite reasonably online but it's still money I can't afford to waste!
Any suggestions would be gratefully received ☺

ninathenana Thu 25-Aug-16 21:30:54

I don't know about the cool mat but have you tried a hot water bottle filled with iced water. Obviously the ice needs to be crushed.

whitewave Thu 25-Aug-16 21:36:15

Fans good. The best is the air conditioning in the car turned on full. Not very practical at night though?

CK4260 Thu 25-Aug-16 21:45:18

Whitewave- yes the aircon in the car is wonderful, our new car has what I call the menopause setting - with one flick of the knob I get an instant full blast of cool air which is blissful. How wonderful would it be two have such s thing in bed - LOL.

Meandashy - I've not heard of cool mats, but I would love to have one, as at times it feels like the bed is on fire and that I am about to self combust! If you do find one please let me know.

meandashy Fri 26-Aug-16 06:21:56

Thanks for your comments. Sadly I don't have a car & if I did I'd live in it with air con! !! If you're able to Google pet cool mats CK4260 you'll find them. They seem to come in different sizes & the cheapest large one I've found is £25. May just bite the bullet & order it & I'll let you know ☺
A friend has mentioned a new matress that has a cool gel layer on the top! Sounds expensive ?

Liz46 Fri 26-Aug-16 07:22:48

Do you not find that, after a hot flush, you can feel quite chilly? I do, so a cool mat might not be useful. My quilt is on and off all night.

Anya Fri 26-Aug-16 08:08:57

meandashy I bought one for our old dog who refuses to use it, so I use it instead. It's a Scruffmat, gel filled, so on these hot nights I have it under the duvet at the bottom of the bed.

I think it's great. No need for cold water bottles. Doesn't need filling.

Thingmajig Fri 26-Aug-16 11:59:36

I had a chillow pillow but although it was great at first, it did heat up before I fell asleep ... probably because I lie for ages before dropping off. Haven't seen body sized ones, but reckon that would end up warm too after a while.

I bought a wee fan for less than £14 last weekend (the wonders of Amazon) and it's been a lifesaver... sits on my bedside table, stays on all night and is quiet enough for us both to sleep and doesn't blow on the cold husband! smile

AlieOxon Fri 26-Aug-16 12:29:47

I've had a fan on all night recently. Not to be depressing, but I'm 76 and STILL get hot flushes in the hot weather....

hildajenniJ Fri 26-Aug-16 15:26:55

My quilt is on and off all night too. I had a "Chillow" at one time, but I got fed up with it eventually. I get quite cold after a hot flush so wouldn't fancy a full mattress cool thingy.
BTW I've been having hot flushes for eleven years, with no sign of them abating.

Crafting Fri 26-Aug-16 21:15:26

I have a cool pad too but it isn't really effective for long (or maybe I'm just too hot!). I also favour a fan but the trouble with that is the noise. Not much help. Sorry.

phoenix Fri 26-Aug-16 21:44:20

Duvet (summer weight one) is on and off like a whore's drawers!

alchemillamollis Sat 27-Aug-16 00:43:43

I use one of these, Migracaps, both for migraines and to have a cool pillow. The cooling effect lasts for ages. I don't put it over my head, just lay it on the pillow.

www.amazon.co.uk/Migra-Cap-Drug-Migraine-Relief-Black/dp/B000VZ3218/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1472254873&sr=8-1&keywords=migracap

(I know it looks weird...)

rubylady Sat 27-Aug-16 04:09:21

Fans, all over the house and a little hand held one for my bag. I'm coming back as a tortoise!

CK4260 Sat 27-Aug-16 18:00:33

Phoenix - I really did LOL at your comment. Exactly the same for me. I do seem to oscillate (Ooo-er!) between boiling hot and chilly like others have said, so on second thoughts not so sure about the cool gel mat. Having read another post about how long menopause symptoms continue I was utterly depressed - some of the comments here support same - at just 56 I've got many years to go as yet. HRT (albeit with risks) sounds attractive as I'm finding the varying symptoms quite debilitating.

nanasam Sat 27-Aug-16 18:12:46

I find I have an optimal temperature of 18 degrees. Any hotter and I have what I like to call personal summers. I also have found over the years (sorry to say, 15 years) that the best body part to cool down is behind my neck. I bought a Chillo pillow and it cools me down quite quickly at nighttime, although I don't use it inside the pillow, just until I've cooled down.

nanasam Sat 27-Aug-16 18:16:01

And I sleep under a duvet cover.

dramatictessa Sat 27-Aug-16 20:17:50

Easier variation of ninathenana's idea -half fill a hot water bottle with cold water and stick it in the freezer for a couple of hours. Works a treat and it will stay cold all night, especially if you wrap it in a tea towel. No need to empty it every day either, just refreeze it.

Salshaw Sun 28-Aug-16 23:01:41

Not very practical (or comfy) but I've been known to get up in the night and lie on the tiled floor in thr kitchen for 30 minutes or so, but I don't do this very often as it does worry/confuse the poor dog!

Grannynise Mon 29-Aug-16 21:56:54

A damp scarf around the neck (not tied on obviously) makes you feel a great deal cooler. I provided my DGD with one the other night as it was sooooo hot. What a pity that the colour wasn't fast - she woke up navy blue.

Mumsy Tue 30-Aug-16 07:18:42

I bought one of those cool mats for my pillow and after constant use the shape became distorted and the plastic cover wrinkled and it became uncomfortable to lay on despite me keeping it filled when needed. I have a fan on when needed but with that I fall back to sleep then end up waking up shivering because Im so cold!

Anya Tue 30-Aug-16 07:25:13

Mine doesn't need filling ....it comes with a gel inside.

Can't sleep if there's a fan whirring.

Granny23 Tue 30-Aug-16 12:20:47

Just a thought - I was not particularly plagued with hot flushes during a long drawn out menopause and by the time I was approaching 60 they were a thing of the past. However, lately, (I'll be 70 this week) I find that any change in temperature e.g moving from shade into sunshine, from outside into hot kitchen, triggers a 'hot flush', bright red face and pouring sweat. Similarly, going from warm inside to outside on a cool/cold day gives me the shivers and goosebumps.

The thing is - DH IS EXACTLY THE SAME - which has led me to the conclusion that this is not related to the menopause but simply (yet another) system, this time heat regulation, becoming faulty due to old age.

Mumsy Tue 30-Aug-16 13:53:54

Anya, what one have you got? the one I had you had to fill with water. tia

Esspee Wed 21-Sep-16 21:09:01

When I read all of your comments I do wonder why, when menopause is now optional, ladies still choose to go through it. I have been on HRT for 27 years and cannot envisage life without it.