Gransnet forums

Menopause

Granny bloomers

(29 Posts)
CK4260 Thu 25-Aug-16 22:24:38

I remember thinking I would never stop wearing skimpy sexy knickers, but now I'm wearing the modern equivalent of Granny Bloomers (more like cycling shorts) under a skirt to stop the dreaded hot flushes that cause the full body sweat that in turns causes the top of my inner thighs to stick and rub as I walk - damned painful. Every time I put them on I think of Granny's old bloomers hanging on the washing line and empathise with her grin. Any of you lovely ladies in the same situation?

Redheadcat Fri 26-Aug-16 00:00:28

Yes ! I've rediscovered wearing dresses now I've started wearing bloomers/cycle shorts underneath! So comfy. Would really like to try some old style Granny Bloomers!

Sunlover Fri 26-Aug-16 09:12:03

I find the 'cycling short' knickers really comfy in the hot weather. Stops me getting a sweat rash between my thighs. Extra bonus is you get no pantie line and helps smooth out any lumps and bumps. Downside is they don't look very attractive!,

CK4260 Sat 27-Aug-16 08:25:55

You just have to hope that the wind doesn't get under your skirt to reveal what's underneath - LOL

Auntieflo Sat 27-Aug-16 08:41:01

I could do withsome of those. Where do you find them?

CK4260 Sat 27-Aug-16 18:05:39

Auntieflo- I bought some cotton/silk mixture ones from a mini catalogue that came through the post that does loads of underwear, but I've forgotten the name sorry. They weren't cheap though. So since then I had some well used leggings that I cut off to the length I wanted. Primark sell them so cheap you can have loads of pairs in different colours!

Sunlover Sat 27-Aug-16 21:31:27

M and S sell them. I've also bought them in TK Max.

Teetime Sun 28-Aug-16 09:58:21

I like the M & S 'Brazilian Shorts' (nothing to do with hairlessness) that go with a matching bra (would die if my underwear didn't match)they are comfortable, no VFL and don't ride up- I buy a size bigger for extra comfiness.

Bagatelle Tue 30-Aug-16 10:25:51

There are silk, silk/cotton and bamboo/cotton ones at patra.com if you're feeling flush.

JackyB Tue 30-Aug-16 11:37:07

When I worked as a Saturday girl in the lingerie department of the local department store, we called them "directoire knickers". I hope that the ones you get these days aren't still in that Germolene pink colour.

GillT57 Tue 30-Aug-16 11:45:20

My Mother used to refer to them as 'harvest knickers' i.e. all safely gathered in grin

MissAdventure Thu 26-Jan-17 13:58:02

I love big knickers, and always have.
Not quite up to my waist (wherever that is, these days!) but fairly hefty all the same.

Christinefrance Thu 26-Jan-17 14:32:58

I remember the directoire knickers as well, as you say JackyB always in germolene pink. I also remember my mother who never weighed more than about 8 stones wearing lace up corsets in the same colour. The abbreviated garments on sale now would have horrified her. smile

LadyGracie Thu 26-Jan-17 14:54:35

I love big knickers, I buy them a couple of sizes too big I can't bear seams digging in. I remember my nannys knickers, just above her knees, elasticated baggy legs and a pair of Nora Batty stockings wrinkled down her lower legs and ankles. Always one of those crossover pinny/overall cotton garments. Perfume - mothballs!

gillybob Thu 26-Jan-17 15:14:12

Like you CK4260I thought I would be wearing lovely little laced G- strings forever. How wrong can anyone be?

For a start G-Strings stick right up the bum split and are very uncomfortable. Secondly, they sit right underneath the flab and the flab hangs over the top which is not exactly a sexy look is it?

I like those Brazilian no VPL ones from M&S too Teetime and if Bridget Jones can wear big knickers then so can I.

MiniMouse Thu 26-Jan-17 15:34:10

Anyone remember the bloomer dresses from the 1960s?

grannypiper Thu 26-Jan-17 15:43:20

I must be the only woman in the world who's Husband doesnt like sexy underwear and nighties, and i for one am so glad

Shirleyw Sun 14-May-17 19:16:04

I too love big knickers.....used to wear the bikini type.....what i can't abide is seeing people ahead of me in leggings and wearing too small a knicker and bulging out everywhere ??......wearing a tunic would be better for those bottoms ??

rosesarered Sun 14-May-17 19:46:08

Hmm, have our knickers shrunk in the wash or did our bums get bigger?grin
Whatever I buy must have some lace on it though.

Bobbysgirl19 Sun 14-May-17 20:04:21

I just love big knickers, waist high nice and snug ? Also in Bridget Jones style I love my glass of Chardonnay, so I reckon we have a lot in common.

grannysyb Sun 14-May-17 20:56:15

I worked in a "boutique" in the sixties, and had a multi-coloured smock dress with matching pants and also a tunic top with matching shorts! Also a green and yellow sriped knickerbocker suit- got some strange looks and comments if I ventured into York market!

harrigran Sun 14-May-17 21:06:21

I have worn sloggis for a number of years and it is way better than being flossed with the tiny lace ones. When I had my op the stoma nurse came to mark my tummy and asked if I wanted it below the bikini line .... Er no grin

Iwish80 Thu 01-Oct-20 20:52:46

I just love directoire knickers, but husband hates them. I have to wear them in secret under my trousers. Would love to wear them under a dress/skirt to feel freedom. I just cannot stand tight knickers , give me Granny bloomers any day ????

Jaxjacky Thu 01-Oct-20 21:25:55

Just had to look directoire knickers up, had no idea.

Iwish80 Thu 01-Oct-20 21:49:28

They are unbelievably comfortable, and the way you feel them slide when you bend.