Gransnet forums

Menopause

Menopause webchat with Dr Rosemary Leonard - 1pm 10 August

(85 Posts)
Carigransnet (GNHQ) Mon 27-Jul-15 11:05:19

The symptoms - including hot flushes, insomnia, hair loss, osteoporosis, mood swings, joint problems, depression, palpitations - can last up to 14 years. And menopause can affect every aspect of life, from relationships to health to work and beyond. Yet many women report that their concerns are ignored or not taken seriously.

High time to find some answers to your worries - whether they are questions about HRT, treatment of symptoms or how to get the help you need from your GP.

We are delighted that Dr Rosemary Leonard will be joining us at 1pm on Monday 10 August to answer your questions - so do add them to the thread.

Menopause is an area of special interest for Dr Rosemary, who practices as a part-time GP partner in South London. Her work as a consultant to national television, radio and newspapers makes her one of the country’s best-known doctors. She is the resident doctor on BBC Breakfast, and also writes a weekly page for the Daily Express and a weekly column in “S” magazine. She is the medical editor and regular feature writer for Woman and Home Magazine, and also writes for Tesco Healthy Living Magazine.

Rosemary was awarded an M.B.E. for her services to healthcare in the New Year’s Honours List, 2004, and is currently writing her next book, due to be published next year.

Deny Mon 27-Jul-15 11:32:47

I am experiencing Hair loss and have about 4 bald patches. I didn't know that the Menopause could be a cause of this and I am in the Menopause now................
Can anything be done to sort this out?
It is making me lack confidence and is getting me down a lot..........

Thanks
Denise

Belleringer Mon 27-Jul-15 11:48:12

Hi Deny - i found my hair got very thin when I was in my late 50s but a blood test showed my iron reserves were very low. Obviously this won't always be the cause of thinning hair but it might be worth getting checked.

My big problem now is hot flushes - I can control them with a low dose of HRT, but I just cannot wean myself off it. I had to come off cold turkey when I had an op last year and thought that would be the ideal time to give up, but after 6 weeks I was ready to jump off the nearest bridge and went back on in desperation. The relief was indescribable. I'd rather run the small risk of something nasty developing than live my life going from drenching sweats to chilled and nauseous every 15 minutes.

sharkgirl Mon 27-Jul-15 11:56:59

I am reluctant to admit this, lest things change dramatically, my periods just stopped after some pretty heavy months five years ago (I am now 55) and apart from putting some weight on around my waist that's it, my hair is actually a bit thicker and more manageable and my bust measurement has improved. So have I really finished with the menopause or is it likely to come back and bite me hard? How long does this phase actually last or is it individual and a prediction impossible? confused

RebaMac Mon 27-Jul-15 12:02:26

My periods stopped five years ago, i'm 49 was told that I was too young for menopause by Doc, but they didn't know what was going on sent for a scan i have a mass that's not attached to anything but looks fine cant take out as the walls are too thin so they thought this was the problem.
Waited two years was sitting in gp waiting room found out from another ladies conversation you can get a test for the menopause so asked GP reluctantly she agreed, it came back borderline, so again told no not the menopause, cut long story short had scan of head found out something wrong pituitary gland ah Doc says that's why they have stopped but consultant at hospital just laughed when I asked him he said its your age dear your going through or have had the menopause. I don't get any other symptoms perhaps joints as knees and hip are bit bad go Physio, don't get hot flushes but I sweat out the blue at times only its not just perspiration, its like someone turning on a tap at top of my head and water flooding down. So please can you tell me is this the menopause or have I had it
I still have no clue confused
Thank you so much

dougaldog1 Mon 27-Jul-15 12:03:07

I am 62 and have been on HRT for over 10 years. I tried the Mirena coil recently but suffered from anxiety and depression so had it removed and now use Fem Seven continue patches. Eventually I may wañt to stop. Is it OK to cut the patches in half? Very worried about withdrawal symptoms as I work full time. Thanks Marilyn

irishingrid Mon 27-Jul-15 12:06:36

I get a real feeling of absolute nausea just before a hot flush. Is there anything that will alleviate this? Would it be connected to my 2 x daily x 40mg of Pantaprozole?

sharonc10 Mon 27-Jul-15 12:10:42

I am now in my early 60s and from the age of 58 have had regular and repeated bladder infections- UTIs. After about a year of repeated antibiotics I did have investigations which cleared me of anything serious, thankfully, and was started on a course of oestrogen pessaries and cream. Am still using the cream, twice a week. I have tried, unsuccessfully to reduce or stop using it but still get infections, when I do. Is there any problem using oestrogen cream long term?

Misha14 Mon 27-Jul-15 12:40:19

Thank you for asking this question. The jury seems to be out on this one and it can be a lifesaver and avoid any other sort of HRT.

gardenoma Mon 27-Jul-15 12:48:57

Hi Rosemary
I am 67, have had meno pause symptoms for the last 15 years, since 1999.
My main gripe is the hot flushes whi h seem to occur roughly every 45 mins.
I seem to get a big shot of adrenaline after which the hot flush comes on.
Most are the normal nuisance variety but 2 to 4 times a day they become so bad I have to stop what I am doing as I go dizzy and quite faint feeling, apart from the heat explosion and feeling that my skin is about to explode of my face.
It seems related to stress mostly and to a lesser extend to coffee, spicy food etc.
I tried natural progesterone which worked brilliantly for exactly 6 months after which they just came back as before. I am healthy do a good amount of exercise, def not overweight and eat well and healthy.
I tried all the usual herbal and other supplements but nothing works.
I dont really want to go the HRT route but am becoming quite desperate at the idea of another 10 years of the same.
My doc doesnt prescribe hrt anyway and tells me I'll just have to put up with it, male ��, I know I can change drs but it seems hrt or nothing.....?? Really???
Btw nightsweats occasionally but really only during times of stress.
Any ideas...

mummsymags Mon 27-Jul-15 13:31:11

At 52 I was having very heavy periods to the point that I was given a blood transfusion! Subsequently told I was too fat to have a hysterectomy(?) - I was 5'7" and 13.5 stone. Switched consultants and was told after ultra sound that I had multiple tiny fibroids all over lining of uterus but that they would respond well to intensive HRT high dose injections, given monthly.
After 6 injections I saw the consultant himself (I had been seen by his team prior to that) and he was furious! On reading my notes he realised that I had been given 6 instead of 3 months treatment (3 months should be the max).
I don't want to put anyone off HRT but 4 months later I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a lumpectomy and radiotherapy. I have just finished chemo for a recurrance of breast cancer, following a single mastectomy (same breast). These things may not be related but all things considered I would advise anyone thinking of HRT to insist on seeing the consultant first and to make sure you understand exactly what the treatment is, how it works and how long it should last. This happened in a reputable teaching hospital.

pattieb Mon 27-Jul-15 14:12:20

I have very thin fine hair. Now that I am post menopausal (for 15 years following total hysterectomy)
My hair parting shows a bald scalp and I hate it. Any help would make such a difference.
Also my scalp burns very easily and so I have to wear a hat when out in the sun. I don't suit hats so this makes me feel very old and frumpy.

marmitetoast Mon 27-Jul-15 14:14:23

Hi Dr Rosemary, I am 52 and I have a mirena coil which means I have no periods - so I can’t use their absence/lightening to ascertain whether or not I am menopausal. In the absence of any bleeding what signs should I looks for?

salleee Mon 27-Jul-15 14:17:05

Like the above poster I do not have periods due to my contraception. I have noticed recently however changes that may or may not be indicative of the menopause. Or they could be post viral. They include tiredness, poor sleeping (nothing on my mind, just wake up a lot and take time to get back to sleep) and restless arms. Thank you

gardengrows Mon 27-Jul-15 14:18:40

I am 51 and have recently started to feel as though I have permanent PMT. Tired. Irritable. Quite bad breast tenderness and/or pain. Bloated/weight gain. Plus permanently hungry and particularly craving carbs all the time. Before I put on stones I would love to know whether this is a sign of the change and if it is or even if not what I can do about it. I hate feeling this way and am already starting to gain weight. Like several other posters on here I have a mirena coil and so can’t use my periods as a gauge.

mib Mon 27-Jul-15 14:21:45

Since I became menopausal I have a new and embarrassing problem which is making me unhappy. I get hot, not flushes exactly but when I am warm I am very warm indeed. The problem is sweat. So, for example,the other morning I got up and had my usual shower and applied my usual spray on deodorant. I then walked 20 minutes to meet a friend for coffee. It was a warm day, not boiling and I walked at a moderate but not fast pace. By the time I arrived I was conscious that my arm pits were so sweaty and that the sweat really smelled bad. I thought it was only stale sweat that smelled but I had showered and used a strong deodorant. I shave my under arm hair. Please help this is making life a misery for me as I can’t bear for people to think I have poor personal hygiene. I am 52.

anonnymouse Mon 27-Jul-15 14:22:39

Is increased discharge normal with menopause? Sometimes it’s really bad.

mamamarie Mon 27-Jul-15 14:25:19

I would love to know what defines when the perimenopause stops and the actual menopause begins. I am 47

sweetsusie Mon 27-Jul-15 14:47:03

I know the feeling about the "flashes." I'm 67 years old and STILL having them. They are torturous and my quality of life is zero. No doctor will give me HRT because of the "risk" of cardiac arrest, which I think in the future, they'll find out that's totally bogus...and that women have suffered needlessly all these years because of this stupid belief. I hate my life and am ready to jump off a bridge.

Nomdeplume Mon 27-Jul-15 14:51:43

Gardenoma, above, is the first person I have come across who has had menopausal symptoms for nearly as long as I have. Mine has been going for 20 yrs and I feel as it will never ever stop. On HRT for 8 yrs at one time, and now still get hot flushes throughout the day and wake up every night too. Get very nauseous sometimes before a hot flush. Have tried most remedies and acupuncture helped. Do not have caffeine. Am at my wits end really with it all. Would welcome some advice. Thanks.

sweetsusie Mon 27-Jul-15 14:54:29

I, too, have "flashes," and have had them for 20 years! You'll not be able to find a doctor to prescribe you HRT at your age. Next to impossible. I was taking Vitamin D because my levels drop to less than 4 when I don't. My doctor told me I would have to take it for the rest of my life. Well..I forgot to take the Vitamin D for a couple of days...guess what...NO FLASHES. They just stopped! I have now started the Vitamin D again, and the flashes have returned big time. So..is there a correlation?? Doctors don't know..but I'm saying yes. I can take 1,000 IU a day and have small "flashes" that I seem to be able to handle.

Hotmama Mon 27-Jul-15 15:07:10

Hi Sweetsusie and Nondeplume, welcome to the club of the never-ending menopause! I'm 65 and after 12 years of every menopausal symptom under the sun and hot flushes and night sweats every hour day and night I was ready to end it all. My last chance try was to go see a private gynae who has put me on an HRT patch. It's a tiny dose of HRT but has reduced the flushes considerably and I feel I can live my life again. Had tried every alternative remedy going. I'm willing to take the risks for a bit more quality of life.

As we are living longer nowadays I am hoping that GPs will become more clued up about the menopause and its disastrous effects on SOME women.

Judi123 Mon 27-Jul-15 15:51:16

I asked for HRT and was refused I'm 62. Being so so tired all the time I gave up work and am living off savings. Still get the odd hot flush, still tired. My question is as follows; most of my pubic hair has disappeared as has underarm hair, head hair is thin and sparse, is this normal?
I take 50mg thyroxine daily 25mg alternate days, and 10mg of citalopram daily, like the lady ready to jump off a bridge I too feel there is nothing in life but eat, sleep and drag this body around.

Sued59 Mon 27-Jul-15 16:07:12

I have had 10 years of hot flushes, night sweats and fluctuating energy levels, but the problem that upsets me the most is my hair loss. I would put up with another 10 years if I could have my hair back. I see people staring at my front hair line regularly, I'm uncomfortable sitting near or under lights because I am aware my scalp is visible and I know I look much older than I am, all of which has affected my confidence. I have taken bucket loads of vitamins and used various hair products but nothing helps. The NHS has nothing to offer as I don't have a medical problem other than the menopause that can cause hair loss. So I am stuck with bear it or get a wig. As I exercise regularly wearing a wig whilst also still having hot flushes is just not viable. Is there anything on the horizon for hair loss?

Noni Mon 27-Jul-15 16:13:20

I only stopped my periods and went into the menopause at the age of nearly 60. My GP was so amazed I was so late that he wanted to post it online! Anyway, what I wanted to say to all of you with hot flushes is that I seem to have cracked it! My hot flushes were so bad and frequent at night that I hardly slept at all, or so it seemed. Then I went on holiday to Japan and my hot flushes just went - it took 3 weeks though. When I came back home they restarted, as bad as ever. So I thought about my diet. In Japan there is no wheat or dairy in their diet. I thought it more likely to be the dairy so stopped all dairy. Bingo! 3 weeks later my hot flushes had virtually stopped. They are still there sometimes, but much milder and perfectly manageable now. It's just tricky when eating out. Friends are pretty good when we go round there, and restaurants seem to, in the main, take it in their stride. Of course I do think I have some dairy when I'm out, but still it seems there is a threshold, and mostly I manage it quite well.
It's worth a try - some of my friends have tried it and seen a difference too. Not everyone wants to do it though - says it's too difficult to do. So I think their hot flushes can't be too bad then! Bizarrely, for me anyway, I can eat goats produce (cheese, butter), and other dairy produce that's not cows. I'm now, 6 years later, still doing it, as if I go back to cow's milk produce the hot flushes come straight back. I keep trying though! Some day I hope this will be behind me, but meanwhile I just keep on watching out that I don't eat cow's produce.
Good luck to anyone who gives it a try. I don't know if there is any known medical reason for it though? I certainly have lots of energy and don't feel too old - yet!