Gransnet forums

Menopause

Atrophy.

(33 Posts)
Yogadatti Mon 21-Sep-15 12:34:53

Anyone else suffer from vaginal/ Labia atrophy. The continual discomfort drives me mad. I am 66 ... I went on low dose vaginal pessaies etc....but I got spotting from time to time.....and everytime they wanted to check it wasn't anything sinister. Apart from the pessaies not helping anyway, the continual tests freaked me out.
I also have medical problems that do not really make hormone creams an option now, as I would worry myself sick about complications anyway. So I
Use Replens, which doesn't do much good. Why has no one developed something that solved menopause problems that wasn't hormonal....bet if it was a male problem they would have!!!!!!!!

Nelliemoser Mon 21-Sep-15 14:08:33

Yogadatto It's B miserable see this thread from some time back.It can certainly give you some more information.

www.gransnet.com/forums/health/a1195635-Vaginal-atrophy
I think there are some other links to references on here as well I will have a look.

Nelliemoser Mon 21-Sep-15 14:18:43

Some more links for you.

www.gransnet.com/forums/health/a1215751-HRT-at-75

www.gransnet.com/forums/.../a1203376-The-Dreaded-Menopause

www.gransnet.com/webchats/sex-and-relationships

www.gransnet.com/.../a1213064-Skin-thinning-down-below-May-Be-too- much-information

This from a fellow sufferer. I have had this for several years as have others who should be along soon.

Nelliemoser Mon 21-Sep-15 14:52:25

Dear GNHQ! When I was compiling this list of related threads for the poster, I wondered if GNHQ had any way of easily putting all these links on advice on specific health issues etc into "groups".

This would allow all the GNer's wisdom about a particular condition to be more easily passed on to any one making the sort of post Yogadatti has just done.

I had to do quite a lot of digging around to compile my "list." To have blocks of links ready to cut and paste ont a thread wouyld be useful.

Lots of threads on similar subjects get lost in all the other stuff and they can be difficult to find.

There are quite a number of discussions go on, for example about joint replacements and other specific health things that would provide a good deal of information to others experiencing these things.

It's clearly not intended to be medical advice but practical tips on managing a condition, or recovery etc and giving general support for others.

Elegran Mon 21-Sep-15 15:23:39

Nellie A good search engine on the site would find all similar references so that they could be looked at together.

Nelliemoser Mon 21-Sep-15 15:37:06

Elegran It's not as bad as I thought it was but you have to look below the sponsered adverts.

eccentric Mon 21-Sep-15 16:53:30

I have this atrophy and I only just married age 63. Disaster for new hubby. I didn't want the hormone either and reading the above posts I'm glad I didn't. Replenish leaves a white globby stuff in the vagina. Horrid. Sad

Nelliemoser Mon 21-Sep-15 17:27:12

Eccentric I use vagifem pessaries which deliver a measured dose of hormone which does stop the worst of the symptoms of soreness. At one point I was finding walking very uncomfortable. For me it was not just a question of needing a lubricant when having intercourse. (If I havent forgotten what that was) I am CBA about it now.
I am now on a maintenance dose which seems to work. Have you seen your GP?

kittylester Mon 21-Sep-15 17:57:50

I use Vagifem too and it mostly keeps my symptoms under control.

Iam64 Mon 21-Sep-15 19:07:48

Thanks for the links Nellie

Coolgran65 Mon 21-Sep-15 20:30:07

I am 66, for day to day comfort I use Replens every 2 - 3 days and occasionally Vagasil. For intimacy I use KY Jelly (and a reminder to be gentle).
This works for me.

Envious Mon 21-Sep-15 21:32:52

Vagifem,replens and HRT creams are very expensive here. Finding the right routine and solution for me has been an ongoing problem. I've been told by a nurse practitioner they are a lifetime requirement to keep discomfort away but I try and save money and I end up right back where I started. sad

Crafting Mon 21-Sep-15 22:01:16

Eccentric & Yogadttit. You both mention Replens but neither of you seem keen on it. I just thought I would mention eccentric that the white blobby stuff you mention is dead cells in the vagina (so they say) and after a while the dead cells are expelled and it doesn't happen any more. This I have found to be true and now get very little in the way of this white stuff. yogadatti I find that using Replens every 3 or 4 days is not enough for me so apply some every day in small amounts and this works for me. My sympathy to all those who suffer from this dreadful condition. It nearly drove me mad a few years ago but I hardly think about it now. Don't give up hope, keep trying till you find what works for you.

Yogadatti Tue 22-Sep-15 10:35:55

Thanks to everyone...vagifem didn't really do much for me and caused spotting ....of course the atrophy causes spotting too....which means I have endless tests, which cause me much stress as I have health anxiety too.....
I do use replens....but as for intimacy....as I am in a loveless marriage that isn't a problem, and the chances of moving on and finding someone else are limited because of my condition, men are motivated by sex....at least all the ones I have met thru my life are!

eccentric Tue 22-Sep-15 15:38:58

Nope it's not skin cells that's for sure. The gel turns into a white gloopy stuff that is inside. I generally .... ummm.....get it out with my finger....sorry...after few days. It's horrid. But if the whole inside area feels dry I do use it for comfort I suppose. I did read bout skin cells, can't be that because there is so much of it. Yuck

eccentric Tue 22-Sep-15 15:43:51

Nelemoser...interesting name. Yes I did see gp bout all the doings.
It's so tricky. My sister had breast cancer, (ok now) when a close relative has cancer it more of a risk. I hate chemicals.

Crafting Tue 22-Sep-15 21:01:14

eccentric it could be dead cells coz I had a lot too but as I said after regular use it went down to nothing. Still using Replens and no white stuff now.

eccentric Wed 23-Sep-15 15:29:34

Crafting. Blimey that's allot of dead stuff, eek!
I might get back on it then. Does feel nicer. The things we have to contend with. Bl..... hormones

rosesarered Wed 23-Sep-15 17:18:38

Vagifem is brilliant, you just need to find the right dose for you.

rosesarered Wed 23-Sep-15 17:20:18

Good idea Nelly, to have all the links together.No Woman should have to suffer with this problem, not when there is an answer.

TriciaF Wed 23-Sep-15 20:49:49

I agree with rosesarered - Vagifem comes in different doses and you need to find the right one for you.
As a fellow sufferer for many years.
Although now, living in France where vagifem isn't available I use a cream which contains estriol, a slightly different hormone than that in vagifem.

Crafting Wed 23-Sep-15 22:49:53

Yes eccentric it was a bit yuck but at the time I was so fed up with the constant irritation I would have done anything that might help. I couldn't sit comfortably, drive the car or even walk without this dreadful irritation. Replens was the answer for me but obviously might not be for everyone. I just urge you to keep trying until you find something that works for you, don't put up the problem.

kittylester Fri 25-Sep-15 09:43:19

I think Vagifem only comes in one, much smaller, dose now.

eccentric Fri 25-Sep-15 23:24:30

Crafting thank you. I'm having another go with it. The things we have to do as we get older. I am 63.

jayce125 Sat 26-Sep-15 08:14:50

I use Boots unperfumed baby cream. Am also taking HRT tablets. Not worrying about complications. Quality of life is more important.