Gransnet forums

Menopause

HRT

(6 Posts)
adnil1949 Fri 09-Oct-15 12:47:11

I'm 66 been off HRT 10 years. Wish I'd never come off it but my female doctor told me I had too. Even asking many times would not give it to me. I don't get hot flushes any more but I haven't had a proper nights sleep for 10 years with night sweats and they don't seem to be ending soon. So wish I had not listened to my doctor.

gillybob Fri 09-Oct-15 13:03:29

There is already a good HRT thread running adnil1949 you should take a look at it. Many people in a similar position to you. smile

Pollaidh Sat 07-Nov-15 19:46:16

Hi Adnil. Can you see another doctor? If there's no good reason for not prescribing HRT you should be able to make a case for it. I am on tibolone and have been on HRT for over 15 years. I stopped for a year which was so awful I asked to be put back on. Fortunately my doctors have always been very supportive. They talk through the risks with me and make sure I am comfortable with my decision. My mother died from breast cancer at 60 but this has had no bearing as she was post menopausal. She never took HRT and had a most miserable menopause! This is a brilliant website:
www.menopausematters.co.uk/

Pollaidh Sat 07-Nov-15 19:51:54

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11938763/Ignore-health-scares-HRT-is-safe-say-scientists.html

This might be an article to show your doctor!

MaddyB Thu 17-Dec-15 17:34:21

Just to say that luckily my doctor's surgery are happy to keep prescribing my HRT. I'm 66 and from the minute I took the first tablet at least a decade ago have never had another hot flush or any other symptom. Stopped it all dead. One doctor (female) says she has patients who are still taking HRT in their nineties. My daughter's mother in law has lots of scare stories about problems coming off the pills, so I'll keep taking them!!

Esspee Sat 13-Feb-16 19:12:08

I have been on oestrogen implants for 27 years and intend to keep having them for the rest of my life. I am almost 67 now and my bone density is that of a 50 year old. My mother SUFFERED from osteoporosis and HRT has allowed me to avoid that, plus life without oestrogen is a nightmare of flushes, panic attacks etc. I have tried all types of oestrogen replacement but implants work for me. I only have to think about it twice a year, the dose is tiny and avoids the first pass through the liver, allowing me to get on with my life.
If your doctor is refusing to prescribe HRT then I suggest you either ask to be referred to a menopause clinic or find a new doctor who is more sympathetic.
Good luck, a decent night's sleep make such a difference to your life Adnil1949, hope you get one soon.