Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Tryinge to Save

(43 Posts)
tcherry Sat 06-Sep-14 20:53:23

Now that I am getting older(I am 53) I am much more aware of the importance of putting something away and saving but it can be so difficult, there always seems to be something that crops up and a reason why I can not save more.

It is a constant worry for me and can sometimes dominate my life.

tcherry Sat 06-Sep-14 20:54:03

sorry about the typo..

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Sep-14 22:39:59

Have you got a job? (profile says you are 53) Has your DH got a job? Have you got a DH? Have you got dependent children? Have you got a mortgage?

Just need a little more info really. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Sep-14 22:45:10

You haven't actually got a profile.

You said you are 53. In your post. (my memory's not so good)

Ana Sat 06-Sep-14 22:46:17

You need to read How do I cope with this on the Ask A Gran forum, and all will be revealed, jingl.

Grannyknot Sat 06-Sep-14 23:10:39

The best savings advice I was ever given us to 'pay yourself too' in other words pay your savings as if you are paying a bill. Saving money is rewarding and even a little bit addictive, especially when it starts accumulating.

Grannyknot Sat 06-Sep-14 23:10:58

Was not us.

Nanabelle Sat 06-Sep-14 23:23:25

Well, I think as we are getting older, we should all start spending a little money on ourselves! We often treat our children and grandchildren, but why not remember to value ourselves and just occasionally put ourselves first and have a nice treat!

ninathenana Sat 06-Sep-14 23:35:27

We are of the SCH (spending children's inheritance) mind set. They will get a half share of the house each unless God forbid it goes in care fees but I doubt there will be any cash left grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Sep-14 23:36:45

Yes. Same here.

Stansgran Sun 07-Sep-14 11:20:09

So do we but call it SKI ing. I haven't told them about are next plans .... Waiting for a good moment like being told that we should go on holiday as we've done so much childcare this summer. I expect I will grow cobwebs waiting .

littleflo Sun 07-Sep-14 11:40:31

I do sympathise with this problem. For some people, the only way to add to their savings is to cut down on the little luxuries and treats in life. What a miserable way to live that is. For others, in order to save they have to cut down their spending on life's essentials. Going without today so that we can have more tomorrow. Don't have any answers for you tcherry I am afraid. All the money saving ideas on some websites seem to make stupid assumptions about peoples income and what lower paid women actually spend their money on.

Tegan Sun 07-Sep-14 12:11:18

Did anyone see Grand Designs where couple bought a plot of land that was slowly slipping into the sea but built a house there so they could look at the wonderful view when they retired [they thought it would be there for 60 years but one stormy night caused 15 years worth of erosion]. Their children just said that it was fine as they could enjoy the house for a while. I felt that they were considerably richer than me to make a decision like that.

tcherry Sun 07-Sep-14 12:42:58

Good advice thank you, the most powerful thing I have done so far to ensure that I save regularly is the what grannyknot said about paying yourself, it really did turn things around for me.

It accumulates nicely then something comes up and it goes right back down again, and that totally deflates me.

But I do know that I should, and I am grateful for all the good things in life that I do havesmile

Soutra Sun 07-Sep-14 12:55:00

Gosh that was quick! Grannyknot only posted yesterday!!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Sep-14 13:51:33

Doesn't tcherry mean she was already doing that?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Sep-14 13:54:10

Tegan that couple were considerably braver than me too! And I don't mean moneywise! shock

henetha Sun 07-Sep-14 17:39:59

If you set up a direct debit to pay an amount each month into a savings account, it's amazing how it mounts up, and you don't miss that money after a while. This is the only way I can save for things. These days the interest earned is pants, but nevertheless........ saving is good.

tcherry Sun 07-Sep-14 19:22:29

Yes of course that is what I meantjing I am sure soutra knew that, but for some reason she has of late, developed a problem with me, wish I knew why..

Ana Sun 07-Sep-14 19:24:31

Now you're really taking the mick, tcherry...hmm

Soutra Sun 07-Sep-14 20:45:01

confused
Perhaps you could quote from anythingI have written on this or any other threadto justify this accusation, tcherry? I was not aware of anything on my part.

Dale Thu 25-Sep-14 04:58:58

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Ariadne Thu 25-Sep-14 09:39:55

Wonder if Dale's got the message...

Charleygirl Thu 25-Sep-14 15:14:31

He should by now, I have reported him x3.

There is little incentive to save because of the low interest rates but I know that I have to if I can to pay for unplanned work such as a ceiling which was on the verge of collapse but now fixed. This owning a house lark costs money.

overthehill Sat 22-Nov-14 22:08:34

Have a look on moneysavingexpert.com loads of good ideas and advice.

There are folk on there who have paid off there mortgage in next to no time by just being frugal.