Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

inheriting a SIPP

(8 Posts)
mollie65 Thu 21-May-15 09:04:13

I know this is probably welcome news for those who can benefit but I do find it strange to arbitrarily make the cliff edge a certain age (and feel it is a tad discriminatory for those with no spouse, no dependents or who die at 75 and one day hmm).

the new rules:

In the event of your death whilst you are in drawdown (SIPP) your beneficiaries will have the following options under the new rules:

Death before age 75

Taking the pension (SIPP) as a lump sum, tax-free
Any beneficiary can inherit some or all of your remaining fund, tax free. They can do what they like with it. This is a major change.

Continuing with drawdown, with income paid tax free
A dependant or nominated beneficiary can continue to receive your fund as drawdown. They will not be taxed on this income.

Converting your drawdown fund to a lifetime annuity, with income paid tax free
Your spouse or any other dependant can use your remaining drawdown fund to purchase a lifetime annuity. The pension pot is not usually subject to inheritance tax, and the income is tax free.

Death at or after age 75

Taking the pension as a lump sum
Any beneficiary can inherit some or all of your remaining fund as a lump sum. The payment will be taxed at 45% (as income at the beneficiary's marginal rate from 6 April 2016).

Continuing with drawdown
A dependant or nominated beneficiary can continue to receive your fund as drawdown, income from which will be taxed at the beneficiary's marginal rate

Converting your drawdown fund to a lifetime annuity
A dependant or nominated beneficiary can use your remaining drawdown fund to purchase an annuity. The pension pot is not usually subject to inheritance tax, but any income taken from this annuity would be taxed at the beneficiary's marginal rate

mollie65 Thu 21-May-15 16:36:28

thinking about this further as no-one has commented (am I being boycotted - [paranoid emoticom])
surely it would be fairer for both under 75s and over 75s to benefit from the same rules - either tax free SIPP or taxed SIPP. hmm
it also begs the question that the under 75s would leave much more in the pot than over 75s (who are probably those finding it most hard to make ends meet)
not one of Osborne's better ideas as it means the rich get richer and the less rich poorer.

loopylou Thu 21-May-15 16:49:15

Coincidentally we've just had a meeting with our personal finance advisor and he was explaining what good news this is.

If you buy an annuity it dies with you but otherwise your SIPP passes on to your spouse, tax-free and they can pass it on to your children in due time still tax-free and free from inheritance tax etc.

He said this was regardless of age, so not sure if he's got it wrong so I'll check!

We're both under 75.

GrannyTwice Thu 21-May-15 17:48:21

not one of Osborne's better ideas as it means the rich get richer and the less rich poorer

Thought that was one of GO's main ideas - along with the poor getting poorer

FlicketyB Thu 21-May-15 21:58:01

I thought GO had introduced complete freedom with pension funds.

Have you checked whether the options changed on 5 April this year?

durhamjen Thu 21-May-15 23:59:42

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEYQqQIwBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcitywire.co.uk%2Fmoney%2Fyes-minister-5-pension-changes-to-expect-from-ros-altmann%2Fa815738&ei=GGNeVfyxHqnX7QbEk4OQDw&usg=AFQjCNGXz5pSu5NFh2c_9x00nkTMQbT7Vw&bvm=bv.93990622,d.ZGU

Ros Altmann is the government's new pensions minister. Steve Webb lost his seat.

mollie65 Fri 22-May-15 09:23:33

DJ this is relevant? why?
if pension contributions are free of tax on the way into a pension pot
why are they 'sometimes' taxed or not when paid out (the criteria being age)
yes I am sure those who will benefit see it as a good idea - and they are more likely to be the 'rich' with big personal pension (SIPP) pots hmm
G2 - I welcome some of GO idea's where they make sense and are fair to rich and poor - this isn't so your comment is irrelevant

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 22-May-15 09:32:16

It does seem very unfair to me.

I refuse to be rushed.