Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Favourite oldies

(73 Posts)
posie Sun 19-Oct-14 11:53:53

One of mine is Eloise! I prefer this version by Helmut Lotti. youtu.be/EYbXE7P2Ca4

kittylester Sun 19-Oct-14 12:16:56

One of my DGDs is called Eloise and I get into trouble for singing 'my Eloisaaaaaa!' to her! grin

posie Sun 19-Oct-14 12:32:20

grin I wouldn't be able to resist singing that to her either kittylester

harrigran Sun 19-Oct-14 12:56:03

DIL is Eloise and I like the version by The Damned smile

TriciaF Sun 19-Oct-14 14:38:30

This is a real oldie (1940s):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li0qPwn4U8Y
Something reminded my of it and I found it on youtube.
I think the little man looks like John Bercow.

KatyK Tue 21-Oct-14 10:18:56

Although I was a teenager in the '60s and a mad Beatles/Mersey sound fan, I can recall some of the records my older sister used to have and I loved them. Songs such as April Love by Pat Boone 'sometimes an April day will suddenly bring showers, rain to grow the flowers for her first bouquet' I imagined my life to be like that when I was older, all flowers and sunshine confused Also Angela Jones, Poetry in Motion etc. Lovely.

Teetime Tue 21-Oct-14 10:39:08

DH who is now 68 managed a record shop on first leaving school and now his I pod is full of the things he used to play then - some I quite like although of course he is much older than I am so our music eras differ a little but when it gets to Lonnie Donegan my extended digit comes into play!!

KatyK Tue 21-Oct-14 10:42:14

My DH is 68 too and was a big Buddy Holly fan. I could never understand why but I didn't realise how many fantastic songs he had written and I am a fan now too.

Teetime Tue 21-Oct-14 11:12:55

Cannot stand Buddy Holly that one has to go off too - did like the biopic strangely enough.

janerowena Tue 21-Oct-14 15:14:00

Oh that sort of Oldie. I thought you meant, Prince Philip or Cliff or something!

merlotgran Tue 21-Oct-14 15:20:11

Poetry in Motion brings back memories, KatyK. It was one of my 'misheard lyrics' and I used to sing, 'Oh, A Tree in Motion' confused

HollyDaze Tue 21-Oct-14 15:53:42

Two songs that have stuck in my mind over the years are 'Till There Was You' and 'You Make Me Feel So Young' - my mum used to sing them a lot (I eventually knew the word and would join in) but no idea who actually sang them first. I still tend to sing those songs when I feel happy more so than the songs I grew up that were in the charts.

nannyfran Tue 21-Oct-14 16:00:43

I think 'Till There Was You was Peggy Lee, my mother used to sing it too! You've brought back happy memories of helping with the cooking and learning to make sponges. Thank you HollyDaze.

HollyDaze Tue 21-Oct-14 16:12:02

It's wonderful what music can do isn't it nannyfran - I'm glad happy memories were prompted for you smile

TriciaF Tue 21-Oct-14 16:56:39

"Till there was You" - I like the Beatles version, (Paul and George) . It must have been one of the few songs they sang that they didn't write themselves.

Grannyknot Tue 21-Oct-14 17:11:16

I love "Mr Bojangles" - the Nina Simone version (Dylan covered it too).

m.youtube.com/watch?v=eAW3y5l6D

posie I love Eloise, thank you.

Grannyknot Tue 21-Oct-14 17:12:17

Darn something wrong with that link. Here you go:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=eAW3y5l6Dm4

Grannyknot Tue 21-Oct-14 17:18:47

I'm on a roll now! This was another big favourite of mine, Jesamine:

m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=VDstjmX35Yk

Kiora Tue 21-Oct-14 18:03:58

Sigh. You've just prompted me to listen to Harry Belefonte's Scarlett ribbons on you tube. I feel all relaxed and nostalgic.

TriciaF Tue 21-Oct-14 18:24:25

One of my favourite singers (I cried when he died), singing a beautiful song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IJzYAda1wA

Eloethan Tue 21-Oct-14 19:11:39

I loved the first version of Eloise by Paul and Barry Ryan, which I bought.

I've still got (somewhere) Cinderella Rockafeller by Esther and Abi Ofarim - a bit of a novelty record that I liked at the time. But I regret getting rid of most of my singles which includerd Little Stevie Wonder's I was made to love her, Itchycoo Park (Small Faces) and Pictures of Matchstick Men, which I think was Status Quo's first hit.

rosequartz Tue 21-Oct-14 19:18:09

KatyK I still have that Pat Boone EP - Love Letters in the Sand etc.

Agus Tue 21-Oct-14 19:47:06

Tricia I am a huge Edith Piaf fan but I love Louis Armstrong's version. Never tire of hearing it.

Agus Tue 21-Oct-14 20:01:46

Now that I have mentioned Edith Piaf, No Regrets is one of my favourite oldies. Also, so many from that era that my parents listened to and I grew up with. This prompted me to buy a 4 disc. CD called The Memory Lingers On. Very nostalgic.

whitewave Tue 21-Oct-14 20:10:51

Baker Street being played today for obvious reasons is one but honestly there are absolutely loads that I love, from the 30's thru to about the early 90's I suppose. I seem to have stopped listening to popular music after that.