Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Is Bob Dylan taking the proverbial?

(61 Posts)
vampirequeen Mon 26-Jan-15 11:30:05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbwdNTHx6lk

I’ve never rated Dylan’s voice but this is so out of key and wonky he’d be laughed off X Factor. Do you think he’s playing at Emperor’s New Clothes? Seeing how bad a track he can record whilst the sycophants still say it’s wonderful just because it’s him.

Tegan Mon 26-Jan-15 11:58:24

I nearly went to see Dylan a few years ago but changed my mind; then someone told me that his voice had completely gone and that I would have been disappointed anyway. The whole point about Dylan is that he is one of the greatest lyricists ever; in fact I've read articles that have said that he is on a parr with the greatest of poets [I don't know much about poetry so can't say if that is correct or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is]. So him doing cover versions of songs that had been sung by the greatest vocalists of recent years is a bit daft imo. I bought his last album because of it having rave reviews and probably listened to it twice before I gave up on it sad.

Ana Mon 26-Jan-15 12:00:22

He never had much of a voice, did he? I agree that he's written some wonderful lyrics.

petallus Mon 26-Jan-15 12:08:56

I've always loved Bob Dylan, both for the quality of his voice and his lyrics.

Of course, the voice is now a shadow of its former self but somehow, for me, the old Dylan charisma remains.

There are countless good voices about but only a few have that certain something which makes them stand out from the rest.

Incidentally, Johny Cash did something similar. On an album he brought out just before he died, his voice is wobbly and without any power but somehow there is a poignant quality. I always feel emotional when I listen to it.

Tegan Mon 26-Jan-15 12:16:27

'Hurt' is one of the most beautiful cover versions ever. I first heard it after I'd been through a divorce and it crippled me.

merlotgran Mon 26-Jan-15 12:17:10

Rachmaninov will be turning in his grave. hmm

Tegan Mon 26-Jan-15 12:17:51

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt1Pwfnh5pc

petallus Mon 26-Jan-15 12:22:53

I just had a listen Tegan. It's very moving.

Mishap Mon 26-Jan-15 12:31:09

Interesting - I once heard quite an elderly singer performing Schubert's song cycle Winterreise, which is basically about decline and age, and his voice was weak and shaky - but boy was it moving. His lack of vocal strength (with its underlying remaining singing skills) created an extraordinary atmosphere. Not a dry eye in the house.

Bob Dylan never did have a great voice - but his voice had character and his lyrics were special - he should stick to what he does best I think.

Eloethan Mon 26-Jan-15 12:31:35

merlotgran Thank you - I was racking my brain to think what piece of music is was. I think it was used in a film classic wasn't it?

I thought the voice was OK but the effect was pretty corny.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 26-Jan-15 12:32:18

That's just wrong for him. Miserable dirge.

It was never his voice. It was something else.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 26-Jan-15 12:32:49

Clever merlot.

hmm

merlotgran Mon 26-Jan-15 12:35:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbG2Uf2GdxY

Run it on to 1:45 and 5:59 if you don't want to hear all of it but I would if you want to hear something truly beautiful.

It was used as the incidental movement for Brief Encounter.

Eloethan Mon 26-Jan-15 12:43:33

Tegan I'd never heard that song before and have just listened to it. Very moving, especially with the background of the younger Johnny Cash.

Eloethan Mon 26-Jan-15 13:07:06

Yes Merlot, it is beautiful - and so right for Brief Encounter.

Tegan Mon 26-Jan-15 13:24:17

Eloethan;When the video was made they sent it to his daughter saying 'be careful'. If I feel so emotional watching it I can't imagine how she felt.

petallus Mon 26-Jan-15 14:13:58

I didn't like the Dylan clip in the OP.

I can still get a shiver up my spine and the urge to jump up and punch the air when I listen to 'Idiot Wind'. What passion! What wonderful lyrics!

hildajenniJ Mon 26-Jan-15 14:17:59

Oh dear, Bob Dylan should give up singing. This is truly awful. He is out of tune most of the time, and I don't like the song. Why do these old men keep trying to continue their singing careers. Do they not hear themselves?

Tegan Mon 26-Jan-15 14:55:50

Dylan singing reminds me of a quote I once heard about Courtney Love that 'she's a lousy singer but a great vocalist'. Alas, Dylan is now a lousy vocalist as well. He probably has to think up new albums so he can do something different on his 'neverendingtour'.

KatyK Mon 26-Jan-15 15:16:17

I have never liked Bob Dylan although obviously he has written some wonderful stuff. I could never stand his way of singing. My DH loves him and saw him in concert once with his (DH's not Bob's) all time favourite Joni Mitchell. He said Dylan just came on, sang and walked off, no interaction with the audience at all. I agree they should give up but I suppose it's hard for them to admit they've lost whatever they had. We went to see Don McLean a few years ago. He was truly awful. I notice he is still touring. confused

Anya Mon 26-Jan-15 15:19:18

He never was the greatest of singers, but he was an exceptional song writer. If he still wants to sing, albeit off key, what the heck.

whenim64 Mon 26-Jan-15 15:48:16

I still love Bob Dylan, but his voice has gone now. It's been ropey for a few years but he was great in speaking and humorous songs, especially with The Travelling Wilburys. I could listen to him all day on his early protest songs.

nightowl Mon 26-Jan-15 16:29:55

I still love Bob Dylan and have seen him live three or four times now. He doesn't need to write new material because every song sounds different each time he sings it, and the old ones sound nothing like they did back in the day. I don't think it's anything to do with his voice, just that that's the way he is. Yes KatyK you're right, I've never seen him interact with the audience but again, that's the way he is. Love him or loathe him, he's a one off and I hope he carries on with his never ending tour for many years yet. There will never be another one like him.

TriciaF Mon 26-Jan-15 16:52:05

I love him too, but admit I didn't know much about him until the Arena documentary in ?2005.
I belong to a forum "Expecting Rain" where there's been endless discussions about his voice (or lack of it.)
I've just listened to your link Vampirequeen and that is beautiful compared with his voice on recent tours where he seems to just grunt. He must have had some throat therapy or operations.
What a lovely song, I vaguely remembered the tune - (merlotgran - Rachmaninov.)

petallus Mon 26-Jan-15 16:52:10

I've heard he plays golf now sad