Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Twinkle - remember her?

(35 Posts)
KatyK Sat 23-May-15 10:45:59

I've just been reading about her. She died this week of cancer, poor lady, aged 66. I was fascinated to read that she married the Milk Tray man - I don't know why I was fascinated but I was. RIP.

merlotgran Sat 23-May-15 10:50:54

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xckvffDJ7Sc

Remember Terry? The song that was banned by the BBC in case it encouraged 'boy racers' to risk their lives?

She couldn't sing and I didn't think she was all that attractive.

Sad that she has died though.

kittylester Sat 23-May-15 10:51:28

I remember her too Katy and I found that fascinating too. sad

kittylester Sat 23-May-15 10:53:42

Sorry, too many toos!!

nightowl Sat 23-May-15 11:06:39

Oh how sad. Funnily enough I looked her up on YouTube recently, when I was going through a nostalgic period, but I had no idea she was ill. I remember my friend and I singing that song over and over again as teenagers, fascinated by the idea of sudden violent death (how naive). It brings back so many memories.

nightowl Sat 23-May-15 11:10:52

Goodness it was earlier than I thought and I wasn't quite a teenager! I think she seemed quite glamorous to me at the time, but looking at those awful clothes that swamp her, and the hair and make up that just look so messy - poor girl just looks so very young.

kittylester Sat 23-May-15 12:00:58

She was Fay Ripley's aunt accorbing to something I read which is a leap to far for my brain, both in terms of Twinkle's image in my head and the age she had got to when she died. And, Fay Ripley is a person who comes over as 'normal'! Think I'll go for a lie down now! confused

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 23-May-15 12:07:53

Oh my gosh! That video brought back some days gone by. I think I want to go back. Made me feel strangely sad.

nightowl Sat 23-May-15 12:25:27

I'd love to go back jingl. That longing is almost painful some days. I often think about how I couldn't wait for my life to begin, and now I look back and think they were actually the best times. Sorry, that's a bit depressing sad

I do know I'm very lucky to have my family, but I would still love to rediscover that hopeful young girl that used to be me.

KatyK Sat 23-May-15 13:19:33

Oh yes the article said her real surname was Ripley and that she came from a 'well to do' family and wouldn't have any truck with drugs etc.

KatyK Sat 23-May-15 14:00:28

I have used those words many times nightowl 'the girl who used to be me'. I wonder what happened to her sad They were used in Shirley Valentine 'the girl who used to be me would go dancing'.....

kittylester Sat 23-May-15 14:07:54

Think about how much you might not experience though if you went back and chose differently!

KatyK Sat 23-May-15 14:26:58

That's true kitty smile

nightowl Sat 23-May-15 14:27:08

I didn't know that KatyK, though I have seen Shirley Valentine! I must have internalised the words.

Yes kitty, that way lies madness grin. I think I would just like to be her again for a day. I'm sure I would find I spent the whole day worrying about spots, why I was rubbish at physics, and why Nigel Adams didn't love me as I loved him..... grin

Riverwalk Sat 23-May-15 14:27:37

What a strange feeling this has evoked.

I was 10 in 1964 and Terry was the second record that I bought - the first being It's All Over Now. Well that's how I remember things, but can't be exact about the chronology.

Like Jingl and Nightowl I'm feeling out of sorts!

Where did 50 years go?

ninathenana Sat 23-May-15 14:45:07

I loved that song at the time. I lent my copy of the single to a girl in my class. She was seeing a Terry at the time. I never saw the record again angry

kittylester Sat 23-May-15 14:45:43

Night owl, I bet Nigel Adams regrets it now! It was my hair! In comparison, the spots were not an issue! grin

nightowl Sat 23-May-15 15:00:41

I'd like to think he regrets it kitty. I spent a whole winter stalking him and it was flippin' freezing standing outside his house in the snow, I can tell you. I wonder what I would have done if he came out. Thankfully (now) he never did. Probably saw me from his bedroom window and hid!

It is strange what feelings this has evoked Riverwalk. Actually the other day I had a really strong desire to go back to the riding stables I used to go to around the same time, and just lie in a field all day. I may do it, and take Twinkle on the iPod smile

Marelli Sat 23-May-15 18:06:14

It was one of the first records I bought. In 1964 I was 14 and SO wanted to have hair like hers. To have been allowed a fringe as long as that would have been a start, but my mother was always trying to hack bits off mine. Sad songs like 'Terry', and 'Leader of the Pack' appealed to me. I hadn't seen anything of Twinkle since the 60's, I don't think. Boys on motorbikes held a bit of a fascination to young girls, though, didn't they (actually, I quite like to see the odd one or two now wink)! I had a boyfriend whose nickname was 'Speedy'.....he only had a moped, though sadgrin

KatyK Sat 23-May-15 18:27:09

nightowl - thinking about it, I think 'the girl who used to be me' was the theme song to the film.

kittylester Sat 23-May-15 18:28:33

I was a mod Marelli so only liked boys on scooters (or with cars)! Though I have to say older men look better on motorbikes than scooters especially if they have spread! grin

Marelli Sat 23-May-15 18:31:57

Oh, they do, kitty! grin

Ana Sat 23-May-15 18:34:07

The leather gear holds it all in! grin

KatyK Sat 23-May-15 18:59:58

I was a mod too - well I thought I was!

rosesarered Sat 23-May-15 19:52:34

I had a boyfriend with a moped and always felt a bit embarrassed being on it with him, a motor bike would have been much cooler.Add to that the fact that he was called Trevor.
I wanted Twinkles hair as well, didn't everyone?I thought the record Terry was rubbish though, even then.